Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Godawgst what do you like?

BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
edited May 2022 in Tug Tavern
What's on your radar @godawgst ? We need another VIAC

Comments

• Options
    EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 3,992
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited April 2021
    @Baseman or @GoDawgSt what are you buying?

DIA up .5% in less than a week when DPZ is up almost 3% and QQQM is up nearly 2% in the same time period.

What say you? Either one.
  • Options
    EwaDawg said:

DIA up .5% in less than a week when DPZ is up almost 3% and QQQM is up nearly 2% in the same time period.

I own QQQM and want to buy more but not at the current price.

I opened a position in Dominos Pizza and went heavy went it dropped to $325. Love the long term prospects but not adding at $395 before digesting earnings or a pullback.

I rarely sell, especially in my taxable accounts except for occasional tax loss harvesting. I did, however trim 1/3 of my Bank of America position at $40 and 10% of Citi in my IRAs

Currently Eying the following:
    QQQM
    Google (concentrated over QQQM)
    Dominos

I want to increase my Starbucks and Union Pacific positions. Current valuations too pricy
  • Options
    EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 3,992
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Baseman said:

EwaDawg said:

I opened a position in Dominos Pizza and went heavy went it dropped to $325. Love the long term prospects but not adding at $395 before digesting earnings or a pullback.

I rarely sell, especially in my taxable accounts except for occasional tax loss harvesting. I did, however trim 1/3 of my Bank of America position at $40 and 10% of Citi in my IRAs

QQQM
    Dominos

I want to increase my Starbucks and Union Pacific positions. Current valuations too pricy
    Ya. Bought the DPZ and QQQM based upon your previous post and my subsequent research.

Should have read your previous post better. I've always liked UNP but, it is pricey. Will buy next dip. I've always thought SBUX was too pricey but will follow more closely.

Thanks,
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    EwaDawg said:

Baseman said:

EwaDawg said:

QQQM
    Dominos

Ya. Bought the DPZ and QQQM based upon your previous post and my subsequent research.

Should have read your previous post better. I've always liked UNP but, it is pricey. Will buy next dip. I've always thought SBUX was too pricey but will follow more closely.

Thanks,
    Sure. Starbucks is a core never sell position.Historically it's been a buy at 21-22x cash flow, 20% lower than the current valuation

Iconic growth cash generators can capitalize on downturns and buyback a higher percentage of stock at lower prices.

Google has $120 Billion in cash and about $8 billion in long term debt. You won't find a better balance sheet anywhere. Apologies to the Oracle of Omaha. Estimated 17% YOY EPS growth. Massive cash flow generator. New CEO clamped down on low probability Bets, focusing on ROE

• Options
    USMChawkUSMChawk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,796
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Curious what you think of FKDNX? I’ve owned it for a couple of years and it’s been a solid performer. I’m trying to convince my girls to buy it in their Roth IRAs and just hold it for 40 years.
  • Options
    USMChawk said:

Curious what you think of FKDNX? I’ve owned it for a couple of years and it’s been a solid performer. I’m trying to convince my girls to buy it in their Roth IRAs and just hold it for 40 years.

QQQ has outperformed FKDNX over the past 10 years and has a lower fee % (.15 vs. .86) You’re paying almost a 3/4 if a percentage which doesn’t sound like a lot but multiply it over your holding period and it adds up quick

Then there is the raw performance. QQQ 10 year average yearly return of 20.37% vs. FKNDX at 17.38%

In short, after fees, over the past 10 years you would have earned a 50% higher total return with QQQ than FKNDX.

A higher fee fund better deliver at least twice the difference over the term or your getting screwed. I didn’t dig into the 5.25% sale fee. What’s that?

Past performance doesn’t equate to future results. Any fund can look sexy over 1-3 years.

On top of everything above, you’ll notice the similarities between the portfolios.

Performance

Prohibitive fees for poor performance

QQQ

FDNX

Did a broker recommend FDNX? Also QQQM is made up of the same portfolio as QQQ but the shares in the $130 range making it more affordable when buying single shares.

Again, I’m not a registered advisor but for your girls put them into QQQM and keep adding.

If FDNX is not in your taxable account I’d dump it tomorrow for QQQ/QQQM

• Options
    USMChawkUSMChawk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,796
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Baseman said:

USMChawk said:

Did a broker recommend FDNX? Also QQQM is made up of the same portfolio as QQQ but the shares in the $130 range making it more affordable when buying single shares.

Again, I’m not a registered advisor but for your girls put them into QQQM and keep adding.

It was recommended by a broker. I don’t have to pay the sales fee because I’ve purchased over a certain amount of the Franklin funds, but it was something I was aware of. That fee waiver covers the girls until they move out or turn 26 (?).
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Baseman said:

EwaDawg said:

QQQM
    Dominos

What's your entry point for QQQM? Other than the big pull back, what price would get you to pull the trigger?
  • Options

Baseman said:

EwaDawg said:

QQQM
    Dominos

What's your entry point for QQQM? Other than the big pull back, what price would get you to pull the trigger?
    Down 2-3%: Buy lightly
    Down 5%: More
    Down 10%: Buy
    Down 15%: Strong Buy

Will reevaluate after upcoming earnings.

I'm looking 10 years down the road. Again, this QQQ/QQQM is not your Daddies 2000 QQQ.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Yeah. I pay little attention to technicals. Leave that to the experts and day traders. I take a holistic, long term view. Great businesses. High Cash Flow and ROE. Attractively priced historically (Macrotrends Price Ratios is a valuable tool) with an eye on the future. In 10 years will the product or service still be relevant?

Of the top 10 I currently like

Microsoft
    Amazon
    Google
    Facebook

Great companies: Currently expensive
    Apple
    Nvidia

I don't get Tesla. They make sexy cars but wow. I can't grasp the pie in the sky valuation. $700 Billion market cap? They barley make money. Intel is worrisome. Are they relevant going forward?
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    USMChawk said:

Baseman said:

USMChawk said:

It was recommended by a broker. I don’t have to pay the sales fee because I’ve purchased over a certain amount of the Franklin funds, but it was something I was aware of. That fee waiver covers the girls until they move out or turn 26 (?).
    Assume the fees are zero. The QQQ has outperformed FDIX. FDIX looks like a diversified tech fund created for fee based money managers. Again, if the fee % is greater than 0.2% the broker better deliver some alpha. The overwhelming majority can't. By nature they are a slave to yearly performance. If they underperform, their Morningstar rating drops, the brokers cast them aside and move their clients assets to the 5 star rated fund.

I want companies I like and understand that I believe will outperform the SP500 over the next 10 years. The SP500 (VOO) is a large part of my portfolio. I use QQQ and individual stocks for Alpha
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,868
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

Man these threads make me feel dumb and ignorant

These threads remind me that I’m done and ignorant.

I talk with business owners who say “I know some of my marketing is working, just not sure which part.”

I’m taking a similar approach with traditional investing and crypto. If I throw enough shit against the wall, something will stick.

🤣 Yes, I know I deserve to be stoned to death.
  • Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,409
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Done much more selling than buying this year.

I picked up some Viacom at 40. Think downside is 5 points, upside 15.

Also Discovery A shares (disca) at 41 and again at 38. This one could be 8 down and 20 up.

Both were moonshots up and crater crashed down with the Archegos Hedge Fund Blow up.

I like Discovery more than Viacom as imo their streaming service and content is much better than Paramount Plus.

I could see Bezos using the money he finds in his seat cushions to make at run at Viacom for just the NFL. That alone makes it a better buy than their Whole Foods purchase which has been a complete flop.

American Airlines is at 22. If it goes down another 2 I will jump in and add to position as a trade. first sell point would be 26, rest would be at 30.

Like Baseman, I am hoping earning season takes the froth/excess out of individual stocks that I can then swoop in and pick up.

Two industrial names I like are Eaton (symbol ETN) and Generac (GNRC)

The first is a slow and steady, reinvest the dividend electrical components manufacturer that in a 10 year period will approach a 150% gain

Generac makes generators and in 2016 was trading at 34. today is at 330. They essentially have a duopoly with cummins/onan in the standby home generator market, and currently every generator they have on hand is allready sold thru October and this is their slow season. They can't keep up with demand and are rationing sales to their distributors so everyone gets some. Also have a Residential line for the Home Depot's of the world called Guardian w/ same situation.

• Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,409
    Swaye's Wigwam
    PSA x Infinity.

If ANY BROKER tries to put you in a 5.25% fund ask him point blank what is the 3/5/10 year return of that versus the S&P 500. If he can't show you the outperformance in 2 seconds and starts to stammer, yammer, stutter as to why, tell him to F the F off and walk out the door right then.

20 years ago SBUX was trading at 20 and I thought that would be the easiest all time short as who is going to pay back then $2.50 for a coffee they could make at home for a fraction of that, plus they would have to drive there to get it ....... and the rest is history. I couldn't have been more Wrong w/ a capital W

• Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,273
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Yo Base,
    Am I missing something between the makeup of QQQ/QQQM and a generic index fund? Like FNILX/FZROX has no fees or expenses and the top holdings are pretty similar to QQQ.

Just curious since I am all after avoiding fees since those fractional percentages are a serious impact over the decades.
  • Options
    whlinder said:

Yo Base,
    Am I missing something between the makeup of QQQ/QQQM and a generic index fund? Like FNILX/FZROX has no fees or expenses and the top holdings are pretty similar to QQQ.

Just curious since I am all after avoiding fees since those fractional percentages are a serious impact over the decades.

The Fidelity products are funds. QQQ/QQQM are ETFs which behave like stocks you can buy or sell at the spot price anytime, when the market is open or after hours. You have less control with funds. When you enter a buy/sell order you receive the settlement price at the end of the day.

I use limit order buy/sell: when a price reaches a specific price, buy this, sell that. You can't do that with a fund. You're taking market risk.

FNILX holds 525 stocks, and appears closer to the SP500. QQQ is compromised of the top 100 Nasdaq companies.

QQQ trounced VOO (Vanguard's SP500 ETF) the last 10 years. Obligatory: Past performance is no guarantee of future results"

I prefer the flexibility over the difference in fees

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    @godawgst

What’s driving the home generator froth? Is there an impending natural disaster I’ve not been told about? Is this the Texas freeze acting out in consumer behavior?