Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

If Shaq Thompson wants to fast track to the NFL

He will walk into Spring Ball and beg Coach K to let him take Sean Parkers SS position. After he graduates he
can send Kam Chancellor a thank you letter for making NFL teams once against salivate over large Safeties.

Comments

• DawgDaze71DawgDaze71 Member Posts: 708
    I think LB requires such a different skillset that it hampers a kid with Shaq's natural ability.
  • Shaq is another player with great talent but due to poor coaching hasn't met his potential yet. I think you'll start to see guys like him, Feeney, Shirley finally reach their potential.

Shit who knows? Maybe even Hatchie might resemble a real OL as well.
  • LevelParLevelPar Member Posts: 447
    Every player will be coached up.....we actually have coaches who can develop talent.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited February 2014
    I think it might be worth trying in Spring ball with the lack of depth at safety. Let him play close to the line and make plays. If he can't cover well enough, move him back to LB. I think it is worth experimenting with, but like I said, there aren't many guys who are Shaq's size playing safety. The coverage responsibilities at safety are tougher than covering a TE or RB at LB. We'll see if he changes spots. I think he has a big year this year at LB.
    My thinking on this is getting the best players on the field and getting size on the field.

Shaq is 225lbs. That's Malcolm Smith (Seahawk LB) size and Smitty isn't a guy that can play the whole game because he's not large enough. So if our Defense is going to propel us to a championship we need to get nastier on the DL and get some bangers at LB.

So it could be:

Timu - MLB 240lbs
    Feeney - OLB 225lbs
    O'Brien- OLB 235lbs

Thompson- SS 220lbs
    King/Baker/Walker/Beaver - FS

Backup LB:

Bierra - 210lbs
    Victor -240lbs
    Constantine - 240lbs

Doing this eliminates having virtually no experience at the Safety position. It gives us an NFL body at SS and more size at LB across the 3. The reason why i'm slotting O'Brien in is because he supposedly looked like a terror on the Scout team.

• NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729

My thinking on this is getting the best players on the field and getting size on the field.

Shaq is 225lbs. That's Malcolm Smith (Seahawk LB) size and Smitty isn't a guy that can play the whole game because he's not large enough. So if our Defense is going to propel us to a championship we need to get nastier on the DL and get some bangers at LB.

So it could be:

Timu - MLB 240lbs
    Feeney - OLB 225lbs
    O'Brien- OLB 235lbs

Thompson- SS 220lbs
    King/Baker/Walker/Beaver - FS

Backup LB:

Bierra - 210lbs
    Victor -240lbs
    Constantine - 240lbs

Doing this eliminates having virtually no experience at the Safety position. It gives us an NFL body at SS and more size at LB across the 3. The reason why i'm slotting O'Brien in is because he supposedly looked like a terror on the Scout team.

So did Shirley going against Kohler and company...you have Baker behind King? Seriously?
    Shaq will destroy people at Strong Safety and I'm positive Budda will be one of the quickest, cover safeties in the country. Shirley will be our starting OLB, Sark is a fucktard for putting him on the defensive line to begin with. Qualls, and Shelton in the middle with Jamora and Mathis bringing the edge heat. Fuck that 3-4 shit that Sark and Wilcox tried
  • MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    ahhh yes, here we go already with the true freshmen starting in the defensive secondary is the way to get back to the top. how about let budda put on 15 pounds and get coached up before we anoint him the next savior again.
  • puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    The tank is slam empty at safety . If we had 2 RS JUNIORS returning at safety I'd agree with you. Baker is possibly better at safety than anyone we have on the roster so of course he should play, he has to play if we want to win some games.. Sark had problems with preperation at certain positions.
    Meek said:

ahhh yes, here we go already with the true freshmen starting in the defensive secondary is the way to get back to the top. how about let budda put on 15 pounds and get coached up before we anoint him the next savior again.

He could loose 30lbs and weigh more than King

HTH

The tank is slam empty at safety . If we had 2 RS JUNIORS returning at safety I'd agree with you. Baker is possibly better at safety than anyone we have on the roster so of course he should play, he has to play if we want to win some games.. Sark had problems with preperation at certain positions.

I don't disagree he'll be better than anyone else we have but i think we need to start the redshirt process right away and let the first year after sark exist with an eye on 2-3 years from now.
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,490 Swaye's Wigwam

Shaq at strong safety..... It's a lot easier not to get "burned" playing the SS position with his skill set. He's not meant to shed muther fucking offensive linemen to make a tackle Road. He and Budda at FS in the back field, Kelly and peters at corner. Move Shirley back to a spot they can take advantage of his speed to the QB, and length to OLB, Feeney and Timu to add experience.

This. It makes too much sense for Sark to ever consider doing it.

Meek said:

I don't disagree he'll be better than anyone else we have but i think we need to start the redshirt process right away and let the first year after sark exist with an eye on 2-3 years from now.
    Not with Budda. He's too good, just like Kasen, ASJ, Shaq, Sankey, Shelton. The best guys have to play, regardless of class. If he's the fourth best safety (not happening) then redshirting him is fine, but if he's in the top 3, he has to be ready to play. I am pissed about wasting guys like Kevin Smith, Ducre, Farria, Mathis, and Darrell Daniels, but if a guy is elite, you have to play them.

Guys who don't redshirt should start or get solid playing time. Hopefully there will be no more guys like Daniels and Smith who only play on special teams, or Farria and Mathis who play only in blow outs.

cool dude brah, but i don't think the 3 plays a year we notice Budda make as a true freshmen warrant blowing his redshirt. i'm just looking for the actual future.
    and with Peterman's first year he should save his war horses for when he has his guys in there. Don't forget how Woody has downgraded the schedule so we play a watered down schedule we should be bowel eligible early and save the kid to build a championship quality group in year 3.

Shaq at strong safety..... It's a lot easier not to get "burned" playing the SS position with his skill set. He's not meant to shed muther fucking offensive linemen to make a tackle Road. He and Budda at FS in the back field, Kelly and peters at corner. Move Shirley back to a spot they can take advantage of his speed to the QB, and length to OLB, Feeney and Timu to add experience.

This. It makes too much sense for Sark to ever consider doing it.

To be honest, that's a pretty nasty defense with the right coaching staff. I'm glad to ditch the pussified 3-4 and get Quals and Shelton on the field together, Shelton is a war daddy! Mathis and Jamora on the edge with Shirley targeting the QB. Petters and Dixon/Kelly with Shaq at Strong Safety, Buda at Free Safety. Timu will lead this defense with cerebral game and Feeny should return to form.

I'd be surprised if Peterson doesn't focus on returning defense to Montlake with this group.
    Meek said:

Meek said:

Not with Budda. He's too good, just like Kasen, ASJ, Shaq, Sankey, Shelton. The best guys have to play, regardless of class. If he's the fourth best safety (not happening) then redshirting him is fine, but if he's in the top 3, he has to be ready to play. I am pissed about wasting guys like Kevin Smith, Ducre, Farria, Mathis, and Darrell Daniels, but if a guy is elite, you have to play them.

Guys who don't redshirt should start or get solid playing time. Hopefully there will be no more guys like Daniels and Smith who only play on special teams, or Farria and Mathis who play only in blow outs.

cool dude brah, but i don't think the 3 plays a year we notice Budda make as a true freshmen warrant blowing his redshirt. i'm just looking for the actual future.
    Myles Jack says fuck you.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,357 Founders Club
    The pieces are there to have a stifling D. All they need is good player development, position management, and schemes. I think Pete and C. will turn this D into a force in short order.
    edited February 2014
    Meek said:

Redshirts are no longer popular. They make sense for positions that required a lot of strength and technique like the lines but few teams are going to Redshirt your skill positions if that kid can see the field.

If you assume your player is going to stay in school 4-5 years you're likely fooling yourself. Kids want to play now and few will stay for that senior season if they find out they are likely to be drafted in the NFL.

Much of this comes from the new NFL rookie contract deal. You're playing for that second contract so why would you come back to be a senior unless you thought you could hop into the 1st round (larger pay)? Many Juniors are electing to leave get and get that 4 year contract started.