Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Ben Roberts, 2022 4* DT, (East HS), UT (probably oreGONE)

Comments

• Options
    trubluetrublue Member Posts: 3,042
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

We hired the black Mark Helfrich.

I hope it’s not true, but making a natty would be great.
    Even Helfrich/Pellum could not

trublue said:

Oregon had 1 year of better defense than us in the last 6 years. Yet they are easily stealing our defensive recruits. Must be nice.

After approximately 20 years of mediocre DCs (Nick Aliotti) and bad DCs (Don Pellum and BRADY HOKE), the new head coach has hired above average-very good defensive coordinators: Andy Avalos (new Head Coach at Boise State) and Tim DeRuyter (former Head Coach at Fresno State and DC at Cal).

Belotti was satisfied with an average defense and kept long-time pal Nick Aliotti, on the staff.

Kelly fired the D-Line coach and brought his own guy in, who became the defacto DC, while giving the credit to Aliotti.
    If being the DC at Cal makes you an above average-very good defensive coordinator, then do you want to hire Bob Gregory from us?
    I know you’re trying to be funny, but . . . Oregon will pass on Bob Gregory . . . Too many similarities between Mark Helfrich and Jimmy Lake:

Each was Coordinator with their respective program. Helfrich (offense); Lake (Defense).
    Each was either recommended by and/or given the blessing of their successor.

Both hired new defensive coordinators from existing staff. Helfrich: UO career LB coach Don Pellum; Lake: Bob Gregory.

Gregory is a HUGE upgrade from Don Pellum and I know nothing about Bob Gregory.

Justin Wilcox is a head coach that comes from coaching on the defensive side of the field. If Wilcox hired DeRuyter, that’s a pretty good endorsement. DeRuyter did a decent job as HC at Fresno State until he didn’t. Probably took the lateral to Oregon for the $$$.
  • Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,409
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    trublue said:

Maybe beat the Beavs this year

Meat is a career losing coach

Meat is not at FIU any longer . . . He has hired good Coordinators and recruited well. His entire staff, top to bottom, is all in on recruiting.

Now, he has to prove it on the field consistently . . .

Last year was a clusterfuck . . . in the entire PAC-12.

Limited, if any, spring practice. No Fall practice.

A rushed “Fall practice” to play games in November and December with no fans. Terrific time to play football in Oregon and Washington.
    I wonder if Meat ever says to his wife. "I can cuck this whole conference by just talking and implementing the Basic SEC 101 playbook everyone uses as their starter kit (recruit like a M 'fer, and have the mindset and mentality we will be more physical than you, and by the 4th quarter broken your will and desire to be out there)

Not sure it can get much better for him than right now. SC has Clay, Stanford has Shaw and UW has Lake who's recruiting is suboptimal. That leaves just Whittingham at Utah, who can't seem to get the skill players necessary to get over the hump.
  • Options
    rustysavagerustysavage Member Posts: 942
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    godawgst said:

trublue said:

Meat is not at FIU any longer . . . He has hired good Coordinators and recruited well. His entire staff, top to bottom, is all in on recruiting.

A rushed “Fall practice” to play games in November and December with no fans. Terrific time to play football in Oregon and Washington.
    I wonder if Meat ever says to his wife. "I can cuck this whole conference by just talking and implementing the Basic SEC 101 playbook everyone uses as their starter kit (recruit like a M 'fer, and have the mindset and mentality we will be more physical than you, and by the 4th quarter broken your will and desire to be out there)

Not sure it can get much better for him than right now. SC has Clay, Stanford has Shaw and UW has Lake who's recruiting is suboptimal. That leaves just Whittingham at Utah, who can't seem to get the skill players necessary to get over the hump.
    When does the quack impose their physicality to the point of breaking the opposition's will? Wtf
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Bob Gregory, umm, no thanks.

Named seemed familiar. He coached at Oregon when Pete and, I think, Jeff Tedford, were there.
    Pete: WR coach - 1995-2000
    Gregory: DB coach - 1998-2000; Gregory previously coached at Willamette University.
    Tedford: OC, 1998-2001
    Pete and Gregory headed to Boise State as OC and DC, respectively, in 2001.
    Gregory served as DC at Cal from 2002-2009 under Tedford.

Looks like Gregory has been a LB Coach at UW for awhile.

He can’t be as bad as a DC as Pellum, but still . . . Lots of parallels with the internal hires.

I think Lake will keep a close eye on the D. It would have been nice for UW if Lake had more experience as head coach.
  • Options
    At least Bob Gregory, unlike Don Pellum, had previous experience as a defensive coordinator at the PAC-12 level.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Justin Wilcox was a DB at Oregon (1998-1999) coached by Bob Gregory.

Justin Wilcox’s first coaching job was as LB Coach at Cal (2003-2005) under DC Bob Gregory.

Tosh Lupoi played DLine at Cal (2002-2005) while Bob Gregory was DC.

Tosh Lupoi was DLine coach at Cal under Bob Gregory (2008-2009).
  • Options
    insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    It's ironic that Meat and Jimmy both hired former PSU OCs and Cal DCs. Of course Meat got the good ones and Jimmy hired the scrubs.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

It's ironic that Meat and Jimmy both hired former PSU OCs and Cal DCs. Of course Meat got the good ones and Jimmy hired the scrubs.

With what we’re seeing from Jimmy … who actually would want to work under him?
  • Options
    lawsandllawsandl Member Posts: 1,555
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    godawgst said:

trublue said:

By the time anyone decides they care, Cristobal will have completely transformed the roster. His recruiting just gets better and better.
  • Options
    Wilcox, Gregory, Peterman and Tedford all have long relationships in the coaching profession dating back to Oregon in 1998.

There coaching ties include:
    Oregon (Wilcox was only a player);
    Boise State (Tedford never coached there);
    Cal (Peterman never coached there); and Washington (Now I understand why Peterman hired Tedford for one season as offensive something or other).

Gregory left Cal after 7 years as DC at Cal to be DC under Peterman at Boise State. Tedford was fired at Cal three years later.

Gregory followed Peterman from Boise State to UW.

I don’t think Gregory can fuck up this defense.

My biggest issue with Gregory:
    He’s 58-years-old;
    Can he still recruit?;
    Does he/will he have young assistants under him who can?

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Other good/great college coaches with Oregon ties:

John McKay - played college football at Oregon (1947-49) and was an assistant coach there for a number of years (1950-58).

John Robinson - played football at Oregon; played on the 1958 Oregon Rose Bowl team; coached as an assistant at Oregon for a number of years.

I know: NOC
  • Options
    MotrboatnsobMotrboatnsob Member Posts: 424
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    lawsandl said:

godawgst said:

trublue said:

By the time anyone decides they care, Cristobal will have completely transformed the roster. His recruiting just gets better and better.
    Cristobal maybe realizes he’s a bad coach but a good recruiter so he surrounded himself with decent coaches. Lake is probably the better coach but not as good of a recruiter. Unfortunately he surrounded himself with more bad recruiters.
    It’s going to take 2-3 years to catch up. Lake might even win the conference this year and to the casual fan Lake will look like a terrific hire.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,064
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

We hired the black Mark Helfrich.

But at least we didn't do a real search first!
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,581
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

lawsandl said:

godawgst said:

trublue said:

Cristobal maybe realizes he’s a bad coach but a good recruiter so he surrounded himself with decent coaches. Lake is probably the better coach but not as good of a recruiter. Unfortunately he surrounded himself with more bad recruiters.
    It’s going to take 2-3 years to catch up. Lake might even win the conference this year and to the casual fan Lake will look like a terrific hire.
    If we win the conference this year recruiting will significantly improve

Hth
  • Options
    lawsandllawsandl Member Posts: 1,555
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

lawsandl said:

godawgst said:

trublue said:

He also has a bad coach leading his offense.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Gregory was always a good DC. That was awhile ago, but he was a better DC than DeRuyter ever was.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Gregory was always a good DC. That was awhile ago, but he was a better DC than DeRuyter ever was.
    I'm really not worried about the defensive coaching. It probably won't be at K's level but it should still be top 10-15. With a competent offense it will be plenty good.

The issue is talent acquisition.
  • Options
    insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

DeRuyter was a good OC at Cal over the last few years. BG hasn't been a DC in over a decade.