Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

NCAA Proposes Rule Changes to Slow Offenses. . .

Thoughts?

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/huskyfootball/2014/02/12/ncaa-proposes-rule-changes-to-slow-down-offenses/

"Under a new rule proposed by the NCAA, offenses that snap the ball too quickly would be penalized.

In what it says is an attempt to improve the safety of players in this era of Mach speed offenses, the NCAA Football Rules Committee has recommended a rules change that will allow defensive substitutions within the first 10 seconds of the 40-second play clock.

The offense that snaps the ball before the play clock hits 29 seconds would be assessed a 5-yard, delay-of-game penalty."

Comments

• Options
    MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    I am assuming if 10 seconds was left on the game clock then that would be an exception?
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,093

I am assuming if 10 seconds was left on the game clock then that would be an exception?

I believe the word you are looking for is oversight. That would be an oversight.

• Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    I believe the team with the ball (formerly known as on offense) will be penalized regardless of what happens when there are 9 seconds or less remaining in a half/game... since a game cannot end on a penalty I believe the first week's games will thus not end until ever. Should be a great season. NCAA gets it.
  • Options
    YouKnowItYouKnowIt Member Posts: 539
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Game can't end on a Defensive Penalty ... you nit wit
    Meek said:

I believe the team with the ball (formerly known as on offense) will be penalized regardless of what happens when there are 9 seconds or less remaining in a half/game... since a game cannot end on a penalty I believe the first week's games will thus not end until ever. Should be a great season. NCAA gets it.

• Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,279
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    Why in only the last 2 minutes it stops? Say Goodbye to late comebacks. Also, it fucking kills first down plays. Oregon never snaps the ball within 10 seconds of a play. But if they go by play clock, on first downs, the offense will have to wait for the ball to be set, then wait an additional 10 seconds to snap it. If that rule passes, the NFL will once again win a diehard back, because I will be through with college football.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,064
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Saban needs to be more worried about his ST than this bullshit.
  • Options
    RaccoonHarryRaccoonHarry Member Posts: 2,160
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    I'm sure the NCAA is prepared to release it's hard evidence that fast paced play results in more injuries. Outside of government if there is an organization anywhere with less credibility than the NCAA I'd like to know what it is.
  • Options
    79smoothdawg79smoothdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 710
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I don't think hurry up offenses cause injury. But I think this rule should be done. I think snapping the ball in such a whirl wind and getting 10+ yards because the other team couldn't get their alignments done correctly is bad football to watch and a direction I don't think is good for the game. Give the defense a chance to call out a strong side and align properly and use their hips.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

I don't think hurry up offenses cause injury. But I think this rule should be done. I think snapping the ball in such a whirl wind and getting 10+ yards because the other team couldn't get their alignments done correctly is bad football to watch and a direction I don't think is good for the game. Give the defense a chance to call out a strong side and align properly and use their hips.

This. College football has become a dreckfest because of the offenses. Defenses are worried about lining up. Defense has become non existent except for the elite teams.

• Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper

Why in only the last 2 minutes it stops? Say Goodbye to late comebacks. Also, it fucking kills first down plays. Oregon never snaps the ball within 10 seconds of a play. But if they go by play clock, on first downs, the offense will have to wait for the ball to be set, then wait an additional 10 seconds to snap it. If that rule passes, the NFL will once again win a diehard back, because I will be through with college football. Because Oregon will no longer have the competitive edge and won't be 11-1 every year.

• Options
    PatHadenFSPatHadenFS Member Posts: 542
    5 Awesomes Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Up Votes

If not this rule, then something needs done.

Right now, "big time" college offenses are about catching the defense unprepared. Sark was smart enough to understand that all you need to do to earn the title 'offensive genius' was to snap the ball while the other team was still trying to figure out how many receivers are lined up.

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2014
    If this did get passed, it wouldn't even be very noticeable. As it said in the article, teams rarely snap the ball with 30 seconds left on the play clock. Most no huddle teams average 20-25 seconds between plays. Oregon averaged 23 seconds between plays in 2010, and had one play that was ran before the 10 second limit when someone charted all their plays in a game vs UCLA.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303362404575580273867540424
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    YouKnowIt said:

Game can't end on a Defensive Penalty ... you nit wit

Meek said:

personal attacks in the middle of the store? Jeez... why does this place all of a sudden seem like dawgman?
  • Options
    PatHadenFSPatHadenFS Member Posts: 542
    5 Awesomes Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Up Votes

If this did get passed, it wouldn't even be very noticeable. As it said in the article, teams rarely snap the ball with 30 seconds left on the play clock. Most no huddle teams average 20-25 seconds between plays. Oregon averaged 23 seconds between plays in 2010, and had one play that was ran before the 10 second limit when someone charted all their plays in a game vs UCLA.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303362404575580273867540424

Disagree.

It's not the 10 seconds that's the major change. It's the fact that defenses are allowed substitutions.

There's a reason that DickRod and other Pac12 coaches are whining. They know that they're exploiting defenses by not allowing them to put in pass rushers on 3rd down. They don't care one bit about whether the ball is snapped at 29 seconds or 32 seconds.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,424
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Teams don't have to snap it within 10 seconds to stop the defense from substitution. If the defense starts to sub, they snap it right away with no play called to get the penalty. Manning did this with the Colts a lot.

So the proposed rule lets the defense know they have ten seconds to sub. The offense can't get right to the line and fake them out of a substitution
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    There sure are a lot of closeted Doogs in this thread.