Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Sam Huard

Comments

• godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,459 Founders Club
    Baseman said:

A 6'1 Air Raid QB. Never taken a HS snap under center. Below average speed. Avg pocket agility.

Sam and Kennedy's 2 4-star WRs overmatched a WEAK NPSL league.

His plus --not elite -- arm strength plays up because of Sam's elite accuracy and decision making.

I'm skeptical how this will translate in Donovan's under center offense. I love Sam but I'm a seller at the current valuation.

Donovan hasn't figured out the modern day successful offenses all have this philosophy. "We’re an RPO team that runs the football. If you’re gonna let us run the ball, then we will continue to run the ball. The moment you say we’re gonna take away the run, our system is built to throw RPOs" - Sark. Urban Meyer, now Ryan Day. Dabo Swinney. Their teams score points. Elite athletes want to play in those systems.

I could not agree with this assessment more.

In today's CFB, your qb better have even more than just the ability to side step away from pressure. He must be able to be a (+) runner at the qb spot and make plays that way. Just being able to sit in the pocket and be extremely accurate is not enough unless your Tom Brady or Peyton Manning.

Lake (and by proxy) Donovan aren't whoosing us with the run the damn ball talk. There is going to be many 2-4 med/long situations per game where if no one is open our QB is going to have to scramble for the 1st down. I don't see Sam having that ability to get that and move the sticks and those are the empty possessions that will keep us from being anymore than the low/mid 20's scoring which in today's cfb is not enough.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    godawgst said:

Baseman said:

A 6'1 Air Raid QB. Never taken a HS snap under center. Below average speed. Avg pocket agility.

His plus --not elite -- arm strength plays up because of Sam's elite accuracy and decision making.

I'm skeptical how this will translate in Donovan's under center offense. I love Sam but I'm a seller at the current valuation.

Donovan hasn't figured out the modern day successful offenses all have this philosophy. "We’re an RPO team that runs the football. If you’re gonna let us run the ball, then we will continue to run the ball. The moment you say we’re gonna take away the run, our system is built to throw RPOs" - Sark. Urban Meyer, now Ryan Day. Dabo Swinney. Their teams score points. Elite athletes want to play in those systems.

In today's CFB, your qb better have even more than just the ability to side step away from pressure. He must be able to be a (+) runner at the qb spot and make plays that way. Just being able to sit in the pocket and be extremely accurate is not enough unless your Tom Brady or Peyton Manning.

Lake (and by proxy) Donovan aren't whoosing us with the run the damn ball talk. There is going to be many 2-4 med/long situations per game where if no one is open our QB is going to have to scramble for the 1st down. I don't see Sam having that ability to get that and move the sticks and those are the empty possessions that will keep us from being anymore than the low/mid 20's scoring which in today's cfb is not enough.
    That's weird. I'm hearing he's sneaky athletic.

Just what I'm hearing, don't twist.
  • godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,459 Founders Club
    dnc said:

godawgst said:

Baseman said:

Hi Kim. Come over from Dawgman to see where more/all your subscribers went again?

godawgst said:

dnc said:

godawgst said:

Baseman said:

Hi Kim. Come over from Dawgman to see where more/all your subscribers went again?

Whooooooosh

godawgst said:

Baseman said:

I have been a proponent of running QB’s in CFB for awhile. A statue type like Eason definitely hurts an offense.

Sam is a good athlete. He’s not a statue at all. A left handed Joe Burrow is his ceiling.

godawgst said:

Baseman said:

I have been a proponent of running QB’s in CFB for awhile. A statue type like Eason definitely hurts an offense.

Sam is a good athlete. He’s not a statue at all. A left handed Joe Burrow is his ceiling.
    This is the right comp
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,951 Swaye's Wigwam
    Donovan's offense can work and will if the QB and receivers don't leave plays on the field. We've seen that guys can get open. We know a couple of them have the talent to make something happen if they catch the ball.

godawgst said:

Baseman said:

No way he can be called an average athlete. Average, 6'1" white kids don't dunk as sph or Juniors in high school. His speed and athletic ability are probably average across the range of QBs at this level, but that's more than good enough for a pass first QB.

This guy was well below average athletically but was still an effective scrambler. Huard could run circles around him.https://youtu.be/0ZvSLBIprHs
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072

Only to see Sam Huard enter the portal after the 2022 season

To Oregon?
  • BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    chuck said:

Donovan's offense can work and will if the QB and receivers don't leave plays on the field. We've seen that guys can get open. We know a couple of them have the talent to make something happen if they catch the ball.

godawgst said:

Baseman said:

No way he can be called an average athlete. Average, 6'1" white kids don't dunk as sph or Juniors in high school. His speed and athletic ability are probably average across the range of QBs at this level, but that's more than good enough for a pass first QB.

This guy was well below average athletically but was still an effective scrambler. Huard could run circles around him.https://youtu.be/0ZvSLBIprHs
    There's an average HS athlete and there's an average athlete for a college QB. Big difference. His athleticism will play up because of his elite accuracy and field awareness. You won't see him at the top of the conference for his running ability or agility in space.

Keith Price was a plus athlete before his injury.
    Baseman said:

chuck said:

godawgst said:

Baseman said:

There's an average HS athlete and there's an average athlete for a college QB. Big difference. His athleticism will play up because of his elite accuracy and field awareness. You won't see him at the top of the conference for his running ability or agility in space.

Didn't realize I was double quoting some aborted, late night, stoned reply. Oops.

I disagree on price. That's what we all thought, but he was pretty slow from the beginning. Clever as shit with the ball though.

I expect Huard to get 7-8 yards when it's right there for the taking. We've had supposedly athletic QBs who couldn't do that (Pickett supposedly ran faster than Tui, but couldn't get 10 yards if half the defense was laying down, for example). Stanback had legit sprinter speed and busted a few, but also had a gift for turning potentially big runs for a guy with his speed into modest gains.

If Huard can outrun a lineman and has the presence to know when and where to run, I have zero concerns about his speed.
  • Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,735
    chuck said:

Baseman said:

chuck said:

godawgst said:

Baseman said:

Didn't realize I was double quoting some aborted, late night, stoned reply. Oops.

I disagree on price. That's what we all thought, but he was pretty slow from the beginning. Clever as shit with the ball though.

I expect Huard to get 7-8 yards when it's right there for the taking. We've had supposedly athletic QBs who couldn't do that (Pickett supposedly ran faster than Tui, but couldn't get 10 yards if half the defense was laying down, for example). Stanback had legit sprinter speed and busted a few, but also had a gift for turning potentially big runs for a guy with his speed into modest gains.

If Huard can outrun a lineman and has the presence to know when and where to run, I have zero concerns about his speed.
    This is where Sam would have benefited from playing on a shittier team. Like Browning in HS he had 10 seconds of post-snap time to choose between 5 different wide open guys.

Would have liked to see him fight for his life a few times every season and be forced to create with this legs. As it is we have no idea about that aspect of his game.

I agree with your points. Knowing when to run with average speed is usually better than shitty pocket presence/decision-making and elite running talent. See Stanback and Locker.

chuck said:

Baseman said:

chuck said:

godawgst said:

Baseman said:

This is where Sam would have benefited from playing on a shittier team. Like Browning in HS he had 10 seconds of post-snap time to choose between 5 different wide open guys.
    I was thinking about that too. I'm not sure. Again using the Stanback example, that's all he did in high school. It didn't seem to help open his eyes much.

Not a great example since Huard has been groomed as a QB probably since birth, while Stanback was just a big fast dude with a cannon who was handed the ball because nobody else on the team was in the same category of athlete.

It could be that guys like Huard and Browning, consistently given time as they were, learn to see what's going on better than young qbs who don't get the luxury of letting the game slow down. Browning was a reasonably capable runner. His problem was that he thought he was superman and could run all over the place and ad lib like a dual threat guy.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,612 Swaye's Wigwam
    Huard still committed while Savell got early PT and him and ZTF and Ulofoshio and Otton are still here and leading this. Sounds like a fucking dumpster fire.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    Baseman said:

chuck said:

godawgst said:

Baseman said:

Nobody thinks he will run for a bunch of yards. He’s a good athlete tho. He’s not his dad or uncle.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,850 Founders Club
    Damon rushing stats

• QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,294 Swaye's Wigwam
    Has anybody else seen the Sammy b-ball tape? Dude is way athletic.
  • Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,735
    chuck said:

chuck said:

Baseman said:

chuck said:

godawgst said:

Baseman said:

I was thinking about that too. I'm not sure. Again using the Stanback example, that's all he did in high school. It didn't seem to help open his eyes much.

Not a great example since Huard has been groomed as a QB probably since birth, while Stanback was just a big fast dude with a cannon who was handed the ball because nobody else on the team was in the same category of athlete.

It could be that guys like Huard and Browning, consistently given time as they were, learn to see what's going on better than young qbs who don't get the luxury of letting the game slow down. Browning was a reasonably capable runner. His problem was that he thought he was superman and could run all over the place and ad lib like a dual threat guy.
    Stanback was one of the greatest athletes to come out of Seattle, who had the twin misfortunes of receiving horrible coaching at Garfield and UW. He also did not possess great pocket presence or instincts for when to pull it and run. He never got any kind of QB coaching.

chuck said:

chuck said:

Baseman said:

chuck said:

godawgst said:

Baseman said:

Stanback was one of the greatest athletes to come out of Seattle, who had the twin misfortunes of receiving horrible coaching at Garfield and UW. He also did not possess great pocket presence or instincts for when to pull it and run. He never got any kind of QB coaching.

Yeah not a perfect example by any stretch.

chuck said:

Baseman said:

chuck said:

godawgst said:

Baseman said:

Would have liked to see him fight for his life a few times every season and be forced to create with this legs. As it is we have no idea about that aspect of his game.

I agree with your points. Knowing when to run with average speed is usually better than shitty pocket presence/decision-making and elite running talent. See Stanback and Locker.
    Not sure why you included Locker here, he knew when to run and was incredibly elusive and powerful. Hard to imagine a better running QB.

His problem was his arm was wildly inaccurate.