Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Q for our brand mgmt experts - Delta faces boycott threats for stance on new Georgia voting law

GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
edited May 2022 in Tug Tavern
https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2021/03/29/delta-georgia-voting-law-boycott/

We're veering dangerously close to Tug territory here, so I urge everyone to stay on their best behavior. But this particular angle has less to do with the law itself, and more to do with Delta deciding to proactively sprint into such a hot political issue.

2020 was a year that saw corporate America act as a collective weathercock and put out countless statements with generic support for all of the hot-button cultural issues. My read is that most executives are generally loathe to wade into these waters and much prefer the business of old whereby money was the only politics that mattered. Hard to say if this moment is short lived or if the agnostic days of old are gone forever.

What's curious about this case is that Delta would seemingly choose to stick their neck out to voice support for an issue that they knew was going to buy them blowback from the Twitter crowd. What am I missing here? What the fuck does Delta have to gain for taking a stance here? I'm sure there's a business rationale buried in here somewhere, but I can't seem to find it.

Comments

• Options

I can't see how this would work. There are only so many flights and so many seats. People aren't going to adjust their vacation days because of Delta. This is just nonsense

Not to mention Delta is leagues better than American or those dog killers, United.
  • Options

I’m not a marketing expert, but I do know that these boycotts are generally not going endanger any company’s bottom line, only their reputation. A good read on the subject:

https://www.ipr.northwestern.edu/news/2017/king-corporate-boycotts.html

Granted, this article was written in 2017, which was certainly a completely different world.

I agree that this made zero sense for Delta to do, but I also suspect they’ll weather any backlash.

Early returns show no impact on Delta's stock price.

To the authors point re: reputation suffering but not sales, it'll be interesting to see if these sorts of things have any long term impacts on the company's prospects due to an alleged reputation hit. I suspect not, but I'm also not sure that that's data we'll ever be able to get.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,279
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

I’m not a marketing expert, but I do know that these boycotts are generally not going endanger any company’s bottom line, only their reputation. A good read on the subject:

https://www.ipr.northwestern.edu/news/2017/king-corporate-boycotts.html

Granted, this article was written in 2017, which was certainly a completely different world.

I agree that this made zero sense for Delta to do, but I also suspect they’ll weather any backlash.

And airlines already have a horrible reputation
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2021/03/29/delta-georgia-voting-law-boycott/

We're veering dangerously close to Tug territory here, so I urge everyone to stay on their best behavior. But this particular angle has less to do with the law itself, and more to do with Delta deciding to proactively sprint into such a hot political issue.

2020 was a year that saw corporate America act as a collective weathercock and put out countless statements with generic support for all of the hot-button cultural issues. My read is that most executives are generally loathe to wade into these waters and much prefer the business of old whereby money was the only politics that mattered. Hard to say if this moment is short lived or if the agnostic days of old are gone forever.

What's curious about this case is that Delta would seemingly choose to stick their neck out to voice support for an issue that they knew was going to buy them blowback from the Twitter crowd. What am I missing here? What the fuck does Delta have to gain for taking a stance here? I'm sure there's a business rationale buried in here somewhere, but I can't seem to find it.

My take: nobody is ever going to make a flight decision based on culture war stuff. They're going with their favorite airlines and price. "Favorite" is less about brand, IMO, and more about their collective flight experiences. I like Delta, and I'm selfish, like most people, and so unless they are supporting something that truly sickens me, I'm flying with them if the ticket price is close.

Plus, there are the loyalty programs. Once you've committed to one or two airlines, you tend to want to keep racking up rewards when you travel.

Yeah, there are those marginal folks who are all hopped up. But then again, the entire Aberdeen crowd was set to boycott "Fakebook" and about 40 other channels of entertainment. Like @RaceBannon , they haven't moved.

Mostly people are full of shit. Talk a big game online, but IRL they do what they want to do.

Bottom line: agree with your take, but with a twist. Nothing to gain, and really nothing to lose. NOC.
    Yup. I think consumers usually have the mentality of “love the art but not the artist” when it comes to companies.

That’s not to say outrage and protests aren’t a good thing...I do like to see shoe and clothing manufacturers held accountable for mistreating employees in their factories for example, but that can be dealt with by other means. Because of the threat of a boycott has become so disingenuous, all the Twitter posts really are just a bunch of grandstanding.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,863
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

My take: nobody is ever going to make a flight decision based on culture war stuff. They're going with their favorite airlines and price. "Favorite" is less about brand, IMO, and more about their collective flight experiences. I like Delta, and I'm selfish, like most people, and so unless they are supporting something that truly sickens me, I'm flying with them if the ticket price is close.

Plus, there are the loyalty programs. Once you've committed to one or two airlines, you tend to want to keep racking up rewards when you travel.

Yeah, there are those marginal folks who are all hopped up. But then again, the entire Aberdeen crowd was set to boycott "Fakebook" and about 40 other channels of entertainment. Like @RaceBannon , they haven't moved.

Mostly people are full of shit. Talk a big game online, but IRL they do what they want to do.

Bottom line: agree with your take, but with a twist. Nothing to gain, and really nothing to lose. NOC.
    Agreed - I am the mullet of airlines guys. Southwest for the cheap close flights/Delta for the long hauls. I'll be damned if I'm changing planes 14 times to go cross-country on SWA. Give me my damned first class seat for that this.

• Options
    89ute89ute Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,453
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Maybe Delta likes conservative governance in the state where their headquarters are located. Delta approves of having to show ID if you want to absentee vote. But the hit piece that is linked in this thread makes Delta out to be an anti-human rights entity that enjoys denying people water. Lead by super objective Keith Olbermann. Delta has a state government affairs team, I'm sure they "fight" in every state for what they think benefits Delta.

They should not be dragged through the mud for not supporting the liberal agenda. Is Patagonia or Columbia Sportswear vilified by conservatives who do not support climate change?

I don't think this is so much Delta sticking it's neck out as it is the liberal contingency flying off the handle.
  • Options
    89ute said:

Maybe Delta likes conservative governance in the state where their headquarters are located. Delta approves of having to show ID if you want to absentee vote. But the hit piece that is linked in this thread makes Delta out to be an anti-human rights entity that enjoys denying people water. Lead by super objective Keith Olbermann. Delta has a state government affairs team, I'm sure they "fight" in every state for what they think benefits Delta.

They should not be dragged through the mud for not supporting the liberal agenda. Is Patagonia or Columbia Sportswear vilified by conservatives who do not support climate change?

I don't think this is so much Delta sticking it's neck out as it is the liberal contingency flying off the handle.
    Read the room, maybe PM @iDawg. I think we're all on the same page. Though you have some hair trigger urges that should perhaps be unloaded in the Tug before you come back.

The liberal mob you're ranting about is a well known given. Hence the head scratcher of Delta intentionally jumping into that pit of rats.
  • Options
    89ute89ute Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,453
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

89ute said:

Read the room, maybe PM @iDawg. I think we're all on the same page. Though you have some hair trigger urges that should perhaps be unloaded in the Tug before you come back.

The liberal mob you're ranting about is a well known given. Hence the head scratcher of Delta intentionally jumping into that pit of rats.
    I really thought I kept an even keel.

I don't find what Delta did much of a head scratcher. The fact that they openly supported a conservative viewpoint may be a beginning. Nobody questions a company supporting a progressive or liberal view. No cries for boycott. It's become acceptable. I am thinking Delta did this to show other companies it's okay to have a conservative viewpoint. Other than Chick-fil-A, not many if any mainstream companies have supported something conservative. It's not going to hurt Delta in my opinion. If other companies start to do similar things than maybe my opinion of what Delta is doing might be correct. If it's okay to be progressive, why can't it be okay to be conservative? I think this is what Delta is doing.
  • Options
    89ute said:

89ute said:

I don't find what Delta did much of a head scratcher. The fact that they openly supported a conservative viewpoint may be a beginning. Nobody questions a company supporting a progressive or liberal view. No cries for boycott. It's become acceptable. I am thinking Delta did this to show other companies it's okay to have a conservative viewpoint. Other than Chick-fil-A, not many if any mainstream companies have supported something conservative. It's not going to hurt Delta in my opinion. If other companies start to do similar things than maybe my opinion of what Delta is doing might be correct. If it's okay to be progressive, why can't it be okay to be conservative? I think this is what Delta is doing.
    Well then I'll give you credit for that take. I don't particularly subscribe to it since their stance was scripted as very "both sides", but hats off to them if they truly are trying to be a first mover among blue chip companies going against the zeitgeist.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,746
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    89ute said:

89ute said:

I myself agree with @GreenRiverGatorz : If it doesn’t at least indirectly relate to flying I’m not using valuable company airspace on it. I no more look to Delta for moral guidance than I look to Brad Pitt.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,079
    Founders Club

Airlines all know that they are sharing the same customers
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,406
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,746
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    89ute said:

89ute said:

You did. We're just here for your amusement in the hopes that you will bring your extended ( ;) ) family to the Club. We're trolling for clicks.