Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Rules Be Damned, Put Howard Schnellenberger in the Hall of Fame

Comments

• CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,708
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
  • EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 3,989
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    My fucking god, he is almost the Jaydon Mickens of coaching.

He won more than he lost. Barely.

I mean, I kind of get the admiration butt fuck.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,397
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,711
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

People often muse, "how many nattys would Schnelly have won had he not bitten on the USFL bait. Damnit Trump!"

I'm 50/50 on it.

He was good at building something out of nothing. At Miami, he had two things going for him: (1) operating in the middle of one of the three most fertile recruiting grounds in the country; and (2) a gangly freshman QB who was a preternaturally accurate passer, had a hot competitive fire in his belly and elephant sized balls swinging between his legs.

I'll never take anything away from him. He didn't talk about it; he did it. If you're not at least in your late 40s, you probably don't appreciate what kind of juggernaut that '83 Husker team was. They were '95 Nebraska before '95 Nebraska. And they needed a trick play to even be in a position to tie/win in the final seconds. Miami showed up and beat a team EVERYONE else was afraid of.

That all said, Jimmy changed Miami's DNA and was at the vanguard of defensive football. They went from a team with a sophisticated passing attack to one that was known for legendary defense. Schnelly put them back on the map; Jimmy made them a bully and, IMO, took the program to another level. So much so that even a drunk Cuog! was able to come in and win a couple of nattys.

Yes, that '83 Nebraska team was the first in the modern era to be scoring in the 60s and 70s throughout the season. I remember they beat somebody 84-13 and when my 12-year old brain heard that score I lost my mind. They were the unbeatable juggernaut. When Nebraska lined up to run that 2-point conversion attempt, it was so damn exciting. Great game.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,658

People often muse, "how many nattys would Schnelly have won had he not bitten on the USFL bait. Damnit Trump!"

I'm 50/50 on it.

He was good at building something out of nothing. At Miami, he had two things going for him: (1) operating in the middle of one of the three most fertile recruiting grounds in the country; and (2) a gangly freshman QB who was a preternaturally accurate passer, had a hot competitive fire in his belly and elephant sized balls swinging between his legs.

I'll never take anything away from him. He didn't talk about it; he did it. If you're not at least in your late 40s, you probably don't appreciate what kind of juggernaut that '83 Husker team was. They were '95 Nebraska before '95 Nebraska. And they needed a trick play to even be in a position to tie/win in the final seconds. Miami showed up and beat a team EVERYONE else was afraid of.

That all said, Jimmy changed Miami's DNA and was at the vanguard of defensive football. They went from a team with a sophisticated passing attack to one that was known for legendary defense. Schnelly put them back on the map; Jimmy made them a bully and, IMO, took the program to another level. So much so that even a drunk Cuog! was able to come in and win a couple of nattys.

No love for Uncle Denny?

Sad.

• creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,706
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited March 2021

I'm 50/50 on it.

No love for Uncle Denny?

Sad.

Dennis' tenure is something you have to look at very closely to really understand. I have; most haven't.

He opened up the offense and they scored more. But over time, his influence on the program was one of lacking discipline and lacking physicality. Players liked him but they didn't respect him. I'm not talking about the taunting and hot-dogging. I'm talking about conditioning and giving a shit. There are legendary stories about Warren Sapp flatly refusing to stop smoking dope to Erickson's face. Can you imagine any player telling Jimmy Johnson "no"?

Also, while he recruited some really big names, his O line recruiting was abysmal, and that really started to catch up to them.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

I'm 50/50 on it.

No love for Uncle Denny?

Sad.

Dennis' tenure is something you have to look at very closely to really understand. I have; most haven't.

He opened up the offense and they scored more. But over time, his influence on the program was one of lacking discipline and lacking physicality. Players liked him but they didn't respect him. I'm not talking about the taunting and hot-dogging. I'm talking about conditioning and giving a shit. There are legendary stories about Warren Sapp flatly refusing to stop smoking dope to Erickson's face. Can you imagine any player telling Jimmy Johnson "no"?

Also, while he recruited some really big names, his O line recruiting was abysmal, and that really started to catch up to them.

dnc said:

I'm 50/50 on it.

No love for Uncle Denny?

Sad.

I wonder if that guy quietly wonders how many super bowls he threw away over a dick measuring contest with Johnson.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,717
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Erickson blew the home winning streak

Sapp gave UW the ball both halves. Probably didn't matter but an example of a loose ship

Sapp gave UW the ball both halves. Probably didn't matter but an example of a loose ship

And you could see it was getting worse. I’m not going so far as to say he inherited a Ferrari and wrecked it. He won it twice so some credit is due. But Dennis isn’t a long-term anything.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,717
    Swaye's Wigwam

And you could see it was getting worse. I’m not going so far as to say he inherited a Ferrari and wrecked it. He won it twice so some credit is due. But Dennis isn’t a long-term anything.

One and a half
  • SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,919
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

dnc said:

I'm 50/50 on it.

No love for Uncle Denny?

Sad.

I wonder if that guy quietly wonders how many super bowls he threw away over a dick measuring contest with Johnson.
    Dick measuring contest with Johnson? Intentional?
    SFGbob said:

dnc said:

I'm 50/50 on it.

No love for Uncle Denny?

Sad.

Always.
    Standard Supporter

SFGbob said:

dnc said:

I'm 50/50 on it.

No love for Uncle Denny?

Sad.

Always.
    Figures, a Latin guy talking about his dick. What's next? Your love of the Merengue?
    SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

dnc said:

I'm 50/50 on it.

No love for Uncle Denny?

Sad.

Always.
    Figures, a Latin guy talking about his dick. What's next? Your love of the Merengue?
    What with the inferior IQ, we typically go for the low brow stuff. That, and the cummunism.
    Standard Supporter

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

dnc said:

I'm 50/50 on it.

No love for Uncle Denny?

Sad.

Always.
    What with the inferior IQ, we typically go for the low brow stuff. That, and the cummunism.
    I forgive you for the cummunism, it's in your blood.

https://youtu.be/2sDkYThhzDw
  • HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,161
    SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

dnc said:

I'm 50/50 on it.

No love for Uncle Denny?

Sad.

Always.
    Wait....creepy is LatinX-GTBQ?

I’m out