Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Sark's problems becoming clear

Comments

• Options
    SteveInSheltonSteveInShelton Member Posts: 1,611
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    5 DB's, lol! Sark does and always will run his program like a video game. He recruits by star ranking rather than what fits his program.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

5 DB's, lol! Sark does and always will run his program like a video game. He recruits by star ranking rather than what fits his program.

3DB > 5 DB's

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    DNC,

If that happens, you can also guar-an-fuckin-tee that that game will be in Seattle
  • Options
    I can't completely hate on the job that Sark did at the UW as we're clearly in a better spot today than when he took the job. The talent level on the roster is good enough to (at least at the skill level standpoint) to compete at the highest ends of the conference. We have kids in California viewing us as one of the "it" alternatives for those wanting to leave SoCal. All those are positives.

But at the end of the day, Sark's attention to detail on the field when it came to winning games wasn't good enough. While some players developed in the program, you couldn't call player development a significant strength. You saw a coach that at best wasn't good from self evaluation and learning from his prior mistakes.

It's hard not to get the feeling that Sark hit his ceiling in Seattle and that he wasn't the right person to take the program to the next step. There doesn't appear to be any evidence that has surfaced to this point to suggest that Woodward tried hard to keep Sark.

In fact, Woodward told the team immediately afterward that his job was to go get the players a "Championship Caliber" coach. His result was Chris Petersen. I think the record/results speak for themselves on that front.

Sark will probably have more success at SC than he had at Washington ... but that's not rocket science. As someone else posted, the SC model suggests 2 conference titles every 5 years. I think Sark will be hard pressed to hit that rate. And further, when you think about that with USC, that's including the fucking dreckfest coaches that they've had over the years from Lane Kiffin to Paul Hackett to John Robinson II, etc. What SC has proven over time is that if you are the right coach, your win rate for conference championships is greater than 2 titles every 5 years. It's more in the every other year range. I'd gladly bet a Sark supporter $100 that Sark doesn't win 5 PAC titles at SC in the next 10 years.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    5 titles in 10 years, Tequilla? I wouldn't bet that for a great coach, let alone a mediocre coach like Sark. He's not even going to last there for 10 years. I would be somewhat surprised if he lasts 5. If he won 2 or 3 in 10 years, it would be a huge accomplishment.

I don't think he will win any titles. I wouldn't bet a ton of money on that, but if someone wanted to, I would bet a couple hundred on that. UCLA isn't going anywhere, and the Arizona schools are looking stronger than they have in the past 15 years. It's still Sark. Great talent will get you to a certain point, but in college football, coaching is everything. He's at best the third or fourth best coach in the South. He's one of the worst coaches in the conference, at least in the bottom half. He's not Larry Coker inheriting Miami from Butch Davis. This is a team that has some very good talent in places, but a weak OL and an average QB. Outside of RB, USC's talent on offense is about league average. That's a bad combination for Snarky.

Sark is not winning the tough road games that you need to win conference titles. Even if he reaches the title game, he's going to either face Oregon, UW, or Stanford. I like Wilcox, but good luck stopping UW or Oregon's no huddle, and Stanford will always be a tough team the way they have recruited the OL.
  • Options
    Steve_BowmanSteve_Bowman Member Posts: 442
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Testing 1
    edited February 2014
    Obvious points in the post, but it's always good to read one more time what a piece of shit the fat ass Armenian Hamster is. U$C is having problems because of the sanctions...with Shark at the helm they're in deep shit.

Best guess is the coming powers to be in the PAC will be UCLA and Washington. Also, reversion to the mean puts the quacks and Stanford in the less than stellar column most seasons.

Washington shot the lights out with the Petersen hire. It may not work as well as we hope, but it's one hella of a hire.
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

The big difference between Sark and Petersen is already obvious to anyone with half a brain from how they both handled their first recruiting season at Washington.

Sark chose to stay at USC for another month for FREE PUB! and put off the rebuilding job. After 0-12 it was important he came up here from day one and busted his ass. Instead he got nothing out of that class and we kept hearing from Doogs well you can't expect him to sign a good class in only two months time.

That class produced Keith Price, Desmond Trufant, Nate Fellner, Will Shamburger, and James Johnson. Literally only five guys in the class who really ever saw the field.

Sark always viewed this job as internship which again everyone pointed this out way back when despite what Doogs were saying. Then Sark basically admitted that a few weeks back.

Sark is lazy, the same problems his teams had in year one were still very much alive in year five. Tells me he doesn't try to fix his problems, sure he may patch up a problem here and there. Fundamentally his problems were consistent every year and that is because he is simply a lazy coach. This is why coaches like him won't succeed because he doesn't have the drive. He was on staff for the greatest dynasty we've seen in a while and probably took it all for granted not realizing how much hard work Carroll put into that.

As for Petersen, he built Boise State some little school with poor academics in Butt Fuck Egypt into a national known powerhouse. Go to a major city like a Las Vegas, LA or even NYC and people will recognize Boise State over sadly even the Washington Huskies.

He was hired at UW and went to work immediately. Doogman was on his ass after two days as was Passion about not signing enough recruits. There was no "You can't expect a good class after only two months" for Petersen because he doesn't give out FREE PUB! or allow Kim to blow him.

Petersen salvaged a shitty class that Sark had destroyed by already having one foot out the door to a conference rival. Still baffles me Doogs aren't pissed at Sark for that.

Petersen is a good who will be up all night studying film, recruiting, making changes to his program for the better. Sark will be up all night downing shots with Nansen and trying to find some whore to fuck in the bathroom.

When you watch Boise State they were always a fundamentally good team. Even the UW ass kicking of Boise State you saw Boise only had one turnover and two penalties the whole game. They were well coached just UW given the first game at the new stadium and the talent gap wasn't going to lose that game.

I'm glad the Dude Brah era is over and can't wait to see him sink the biggest giant in the conference. With Helfrich I don't trust Oregon either going forward.

I have a feeling Petersen vs Mora will be a match up we'll see quite a bit in the Pac-12 championship game.

Great fucking post.

Like you said despite losing 38-6 Boise reflected a well coached team. Very few mistakes. They also had no business winning the bowl game but that just goes to show you how superior CP is to Dude Brah.
  • Options
    RoadDawg,

Petey won/tied for 7 in 9 years at SC.

John McKay coached 16 years at SC - he won/tied 9 out 16.

Just two examples ... but two of the better ones at SC.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,524
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    The O/U on Sloppy Steve at USC has to be around 4.5. He'll have a reduced roster for a few more years and though he'll get great skill guys, he probably won't have the QB he wants to run his ideal offense (hurry-up spread with a dual threat QB) for a few years as well (Kessler is pretty good but not the best fit, Browne isn't a running threat, and Greene is a skinny true frosh).

I'll also be curious to see how their OL does in 2014 and 2015 as Marcus Martin left early for the NFL and Kevin Graf ran out of eligibility (3 other RS-SRs on their depth chart are gone too). Will also be interesting to see how long Wilcox stays there (probably just a year or two) and if he takes Sirmon and Heyward with him.

I honestly see USC going 7-5 or 8-4 next year while UW should go 9-4 or 10-3 so the Doogs everywhere may be devastated.
  • Options
    Dardanus said:

....He was on staff for the greatest dynasty we've seen in a while and probably took it all for granted not realizing how much hard work Carroll put into that. ....

One of the things you hear people say about Carroll is that he makes the job look easy or effortless. Something about his personality, energy, and positive outlook makes it appear like his job is easy, even though it's not.

I could see Sark watching Carroll and thinking "man, that guy makes it look easy. It should be easy for me too!" This would explain a lot of the laziness and details getting overlooked.

The funny thing is there are other people who have the same mentality (Kimmy) and don't understand that laziness and arrogance are a terrible combination.
    I think people are making the same mistake now with Carroll and forget just how terrible the situation looked when he got here. The team was 9-23 the previous two years with no young stars at all on the roster. Old QB, nothing at RB, old defense, etc.

He turned it around in only three years despite only having one top 10 picks(Okung). It wasn't like he pulled a Dallas under Jimmy Johnson where you suck a few years stock pile top 10 picks then all of a sudden you are loaded in talent.

Seahawks like with Sark were undisciplined as they led the NFL in penalties. Difference is they don't make stupid mistakes during the game with turnovers, getting burned deep when the situation calls for you to keep them in front of you, have good special teams, etc. Pete may not look like it but you can tell he's a details guy. He was even organizing the parade after the game celebration that is how detailed oriented he is.

While dude brah just saw a fun loving coach and thought "Shit this is easy!" he probably still thinks that. Probably thinks the problem wasn't his coaching but up at downtrodden Warshington they can't get blue chippers to come here so at USC he'll be the next Carroll. That's what Kiffin thought too. Sark will crash and burn just like Kiffin and I actually think Kiffin is a better coach than Sark too.
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Sark gaining 50 lbs in 5 years shows the laziness.
  • Options
    CheersWestDawgCheersWestDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,475
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam

Sark gaining 50 lbs in 5 years shows the laziness.

It also shows that he got caught doing something he shouldn't have and now has no reason to keep up his looks for strange.

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,427
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

RoadDawg,

Petey won/tied for 7 in 9 years at SC.

John McKay coached 16 years at SC - he won/tied 9 out 16.

Just two examples ... but two of the better ones at SC.

Are you comparing sark to those two?
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,507
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    You've also gotta look at the South. You now have ASU who was runner up in the Pac and just pulled in a really good class. UCLA will obviously be a player. Arizona, despite being middling, has the ability to roll teams on a given weekend. It's pretty obvious Sark won't outwork these other coaches. Hard to see them winning the South at all, even with superior talent.
  • Options
    Race,

You want to roll? You want to take off the gloves?

You really think that I believe that SarkFS is in the same league as Petey or John McKay?

If so, you're RaceBannonFS and I should reconsider the kind of people that I hang out with.

The point was to RoadDawg's comment that expecting a USC coach that is worth a damn to win at least 5 conference titles in a 10 year period is ridiculous. Very clearly looking at 2 of SC's more successful coaches, it's not such a reach.
  • Options
    Dick_BDick_B Member Posts: 1,301
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Testing 1

All you Sark bashers I would like to see you put on a fucking headset and grab a clipboard.

Can I wear a cool hat, too?