Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Should I Take Out Student Loans or Just Skip College?

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,548
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
edited May 2022 in Tug Tavern

Comments

• Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Who needs education
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,752
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

I tell any young people that will listen if they have their heart set on getting a traditional college degree and they can’t afford it to:

- Do Running Start / AP / IB classes in HS - that will score you lots of free credits toward your degree

- Consider getting a job, any job, at a company that has generous tuition reimbursement - have your employer foot the bill / work your way through school

- Take whatever you can for intro stuff at a community college or the school you’re interested in’s online program - it’s cheaper and you should only pay full sticker price for the upper level/lab courses

Draw backs to this is you might miss out on some of the “traditional college experience” (dorms/Greek life, etc.) - but it seems like kids are less interested in that stuff anyway

A very good summary and sage advice. Like a lot of things in life, if you don't have the financial means, then there are things you can't do. So accept the limitation and work around it. If you don't get the "whole college experience," accept that and be glad you're going to get what counts. 100 years ago, you'd have been screwed and would simply not have had access at all.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,666
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

You shouldn't take out serious loans to go to college unless you are studying something that provides immediate employment uplift.

That said, there is a school of thought that a college education is part of the long game, and it was never really supposed to function like a trade school. Said another way, a college experience has its own value for many that is not tied directly to employment outcomes.

But nobody should be 6 figures in debt for a bachelors degree. There are cheaper options.

Except the "college experience" is mostly bullshit.

It made sense when most people didn't go. But now for 15 dollar an hour office positions you need one so it's just a "get the paper and get the fuck out" scheme.
  • Options
    USMChawkUSMChawk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,796
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

You shouldn't take out serious loans to go to college unless you are studying something that provides immediate employment uplift.

That said, there is a school of thought that a college education is part of the long game, and it was never really supposed to function like a trade school. Said another way, a college experience has its own value for many that is not tied directly to employment outcomes.

But nobody should be 6 figures in debt for a bachelors degree. There are cheaper options.

It made sense when most people didn't go. But now for 15 dollar an hour office positions you need one so it's just a "get the paper and get the fuck out" scheme.
    I really enjoyed getting naked with numerous sorority chicks.

Disagree.
    That was the best part.
  • Options

Disagree.
    Sure but if you can't afford it or don't get scholarships it's not worth taking out like 50k + in debt.
  • Options

Depends on where you go and what you do there.

If you go to Cuog and major in “look at me and how much fun we’re having. Yay!! College!” Then yeah that’s a check the box exercise. If you go and try and get an actual education, it still had value in my estimation.
  • Options

Disagree.
    Sure but if you can't afford it or don't get scholarships it's not worth taking out like 50k + in debt.
    Yes I agree. But there are ways round that ... start off with JC and get as many credits packed in as you can on the cheap.
  • Options

Disagree.
    Yes I agree. But there are ways round that ... start off with JC and get as many credits packed in as you can on the cheap.
    Yeah that's what I mean. By doing that you miss out on the getting naked with sorority girls part in the beginning, but that isn't worth big debt so cc is a good plan.

Or just dont be a dumbass, mark that youre black, and it's all free
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Why not both?!
  • Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited March 2021
    F

Disagree.
    Nowadays, you’d go to Prison
  • Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,649
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    I personally would never work for Google, but they have changed policies around needing a degree to be hired. That's pretty cool I guess.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    jecornel said:

I personally would never work for Google, but they have changed policies around needing a degree to be hired. That's pretty cool I guess.

I really have no desire to work in a large corporation.

Even as my company gets bigger there are random corporate annoyances that I don't like.

And we're not big at all. It's like 35 mil this year in revenue. But already I can see some bullshit