Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Los Angeles is looking more appealing by the day

jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,592
5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
Standard Supporter
I myself would prefer Santa Monica. Could live pretty good there as a vagrant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2RvooEI0YE

Comments

• Options
    BendintheriverBendintheriver Member Posts: 5,320
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    My customer is one street over. Two years ago when I was last there the tents and abandoned motor homes now housing the bums and drug addicts stretched over two miles. It was truly a sight to see.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Mind boggling chincompetence. Entire city blocks are now effectively worthless. Might as well just raze a few of those buildings and setup official city sponsored favelas.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,063
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    What kind of a society permits this to happen? Conservatives are partially to blame for not stepping up. Even though progressive politicians enabled this to happen and are mostly to blame.
  • Options

What kind of a society permits this to happen? Conservatives are partially to blame for not stepping up. Even though progressive politicians enabled this to happen and are mostly to blame.

Overcompensating compassion run amok
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,545
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    iirc, the first time I realized things were changing was the inability of the courts to put the crazies away in institutions. (Mad houses?) When that happened those guys were started being public nuisances and only getting an over night trip to jail. O'er the years it has become what we have today in most cities.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,381
    Swaye's Wigwam

As time goes by I lean more towards punishing "the rich" and making people feel guilty

And its backfiring

Lots of folks have compassion i agree but not the activists. They have an agenda
  • Options

As time goes by I lean more towards punishing "the rich" and making people feel guilty

And its backfiring

Lots of folks have compassion i agree but not the activists. They have an agenda
    I've always subscribed to the bleeding heart theory. These people are deluded by their perception of compassion and chase that high to its nonsensical end point. I know plenty who are in that camp.

I hear Dori ranting about some "agenda" to keep people dependent on government, but that theory has never resonated with me.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I think the agenda is more to keep the issue in our face. I don't think most of the people on that street really give a shit about being dependent on the government

I admire folks that quietly go about the business of caring for them. Real heroes you don't hear about
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    edited March 2021

Look at the places where this problem is the worst. There are no conservatives in power to even "step up." This is all on the left.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,854
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Rent for a 450 sq. ft. studio is like $2,000 in a lot of these places. It drives people out and drives people into homelessness. Being a real centrist, I can see blame on both sides here. We're turning into a third world country. It's pathetic.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

Rent for a 450 sq. ft. studio is like $2,000 in a lot of these places. It drives people out and drives people into homelessness. Being a real centrist, I can see blame on both sides here. We're turning into a third world country. It's pathetic.

And yet few if any of the homeless are illegal immigrants. Homelessness is driven by mental illness and substance abuse, not the high cost of rents.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    SFGbob said:

And yet few if any of the homeless are illegal immigrants. Homelessness is driven by mental illness and substance abuse, not the high cost of rents.
    Hispanics tend to stay together as a family more than "Anglos" and they'll live with their parents into their 30s more often
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,809

SFGbob said:

Hispanics tend to stay together as a family more than "Anglos" and they'll live with their parents into their 30s more often
    We have people here in their 60's living with their parents. Just sayin'!
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

SFGbob said:

So you're telling me there are way to overcome high rents and avoid being homeless.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

So you're telling me there are way to overcome high rents and avoid being homeless.
    Yeah, there are plenty of ways. Things like taxing the rich more than the little people and supporting unions don't sit well with the Tug cons, but that's okay
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Yeah, there are plenty of ways. Things like taxing the rich more than the little people and supporting unions don't sit well with the Tug cons, but that's okay
    Top 1% if income earners are already paying over 1/3 of all income taxes. Top 5% of income earners are paying nearly 60% of all income taxes. How much more would you like them to be paying?

We already have a system where the "little people" don't pay any Federal income tax. Bottom 50% pay less than 3% of all income taxes.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

If that money paid anyone's rent we could talk

Little people don't fund the government. Rich people do. Little people are just easier to find so they get hit on tax hikes regardless

Unions don't raise wages. Hard work does
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,595
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    What a fucking shithole