Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

So with an unplanned $5TT added to our debt in one year...

KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
edited May 2022 in Tug Tavern
How long will it be until the Gubment struggles to make interest payments on it???

Comments

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,065
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Well they're already going after international YouTubers. Google sent letters to them saying they owe U.S. taxes on any YouTube income from 2020.
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    How do you struggle to pay when you are already not paying? The Fed’s printing presses are just getting warmed up...

But there is no inflation. Just ask them. Americans are fat anyway...if they just substitute no food into there diet they will buy less and keep spending down...and therefore no inflation.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,861
    edited March 2021

How do you struggle to pay when you are already not paying? The Fed’s printing presses are just getting warmed up...

But there is no inflation. Just ask them. Americans are fat anyway...if they just substitute no food into there diet they will buy less and keep spending down...and therefore no inflation.

I'm hearing Nov 2022 is when the Fed lets it rip.

There was actually a poll on CNBC yesterday about when rates will kick in to reality. The original sentiment was sometime in Q2 2023 but that's getting blown up every tim the printing press gets cranked up again.

Smart money is on near term inflation in the supply chain - mostly because we? are such dumbfucks we outsourced everything the past 20 years and when the COVID lockdown hit, it all ground to a half overseas. Interest rates will be held down by the central banksters until they simply can't any longer.

The banksters don't want the public to revolt violently at the ballot box during the midterms. Keep their own bought and paid for guys in there.

• Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,310
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

There was actually a poll on CNBC yesterday about when rates will kick in to reality. The original sentiment was sometime in Q2 2023 but that's getting blown up every tim the printing press gets cranked up again.

Smart money is on near term inflation in the supply chain - mostly because we? are such dumbfucks we outsourced everything the past 20 years and when the COVID lockdown hit, it all ground to a half overseas. Interest rates will be held down by the central banksters until they simply can't any longer.

The banksters don't want the public to revolt violently at the ballot box during the midterms. Keep their own bought and paid for guys in there.
    There's partisanship, then there's ball-gargling levels of partisanship. Most of your posts lately seem to imply that the country has done a complete 180 in a mere three months, even though Congress has passed only one bill and Biden's Cabinet is still being confirmed (second to last confirmation just today). The vast, vast, vast majority of anything that's fucking us now was enacted under The Savior° or one of his predecessors.

Like with football coaches, you have to give Biden at least a full season before you can conclusively determine that every problem on Earth is his fault. Them's the rules!
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,381
    Swaye's Wigwam
    So Biden gets more time than Jimmy

White privilege alive and well
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,279
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    I think it's going to eventually be interest rates that take the hike. The Government can talk their way into votes even with high interest rates, they can't do the same with record high inflation. I don't think 20-25 year highs in interest rates and 20-25 year highs in tax rates are out of the question. They will do anything to keep inflation under 5%. You get above that, the working class will revolt.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Jimmy gets a full season, too. I've always been on board with that. What I saw on the field in three of four games in last year's abortion wasn't great to me, though.
  • Options

There's partisanship, then there's ball-gargling levels of partisanship. Most of your posts lately seem to imply that the country has done a complete 180 in a mere three months, even though Congress has passed only one bill and Biden's Cabinet is still being confirmed (second to last confirmation just today). The vast, vast, vast majority of anything that's fucking us now was enacted under The Savior° or one of his predecessors.

Like with football coaches, you have to give Biden at least a full season before you can conclusively determine that every problem on Earth is his fault. Them's the rules!
    Not really. The Swamp is still the Swamp.

And the Swamp Monsters like getting paid.

• Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Not in your lifetime Stalin. As long as you usd does not lose it status as a world reserve currency who gives a fuck. It will be next generation and racebanon’s problem
  • Options
    FireCohen said:

Not in your lifetime Stalin. As long as you usd does not lose it status as a world reserve currency who gives a fuck. It will be next generation and racebanon’s problem

In two months into the Biden presidency, that looks to be the objective.
  • Options

FireCohen said:

Lol not happening
  • Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    How can you claim that? What do you base this on?
    FireCohen said:

FireCohen said:

Lol not happening
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    doogie said:

How can you claim that? What do you base this on?

FireCohen said:

FireCohen said:

Lol not happening
    On relative basis on wtf is going on in other parts of the world. US is not the only country with its own problems. The rest of the world is fucked too.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,743
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

That was going to be my answer: just add another shift to the printing run at Treasury. Like a pyramid scheme. "You pay me, she pays you, he pays her, ... turtles all the way down.
  • Options

I'll allow it because we've been down on clicks during my hiatus.

• Options
    edited March 2021

I think it's going to eventually be interest rates that take the hike. The Government can talk their way into votes even with high interest rates, they can't do the same with record high inflation. I don't think 20-25 year highs in interest rates and 20-25 year highs in tax rates are out of the question. They will do anything to keep inflation under 5%. You get above that, the working class will revolt.

I don't know dude. I don't know that what you wrote is true or is not. But what I think I do know is that the market takes a HUGE fucking shit every time anybody even mentions the word "interest rates", because the market knows what we all know, and that is that there's only one relevant convo to have about interest rates: raising them.

Having said that, inflation is a more slippery, harder-to-prove beast. Look, we've? been talking about it since we re-invented the board. And while there's been good discussion, I'd hardly say we have a consensus view on it, even whether it's actually here or not, or what's really causing it if it is.

I don't disagree with your last sentence, and the penultimate sentence may be right too. Who knows? But will we clearly know when we're approach 5%? What's the real test? Everyday goods? Unless you're in Post WWI Germany, inflation kind of sneaks up on you slowly and maybe once in a while you feel like your money doesn't buy what it used to ... but mostly you just go along and don't notice it. For small goods, you just pay more and save less. For larger goods, you finance the fuck out of it anyway and keep living your life.

When rates tick up and your 401-K loses 30%, that's a moment in time you are keenly aware of.
  • Options

Jimmy gets a full season, too. I've always been on board with that. What I saw on the field in three of four games in last year's abortion wasn't great to me, though.
    I actually thought he was a "pass" on the field, but a really big "F" on every other aspect of running a ship.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

I'll say this on this Tug-esque diversion on inflation: @HoustonHusky has been remarkably consistent on this concern and the only poaster I can think of who was as concerned about it under Trump as under Bidumb ... that is, he's the only one who didn't taint his economis with the politics. Nobody I can think of was arguing this point under Trump. A select few acknowledged he was a spender but Houston is the only one I remember being pissed off about the printing machine during Trump's term. Trump was as afraid of touching rates as anyone because he knew it would have fucked up at least his perfect stock market, if not his perfect economy.

Which makes you wonder ... say whatever else you want about Trump, the man has balls and was willing to take heat. If HE was too chickenshit to do the right thing, who the fuck else is going to? It will IMMEDIATELY send the market into a tailspin. And @pawz ' s commissions will take a hit because housing prices will fall.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I'll say this on this Tug-esque diversion on inflation: @HoustonHusky has been remarkably consistent on this concern and the only poaster I can think of who was as concerned about it under Trump as under Bidumb ... that is, he's the only one who didn't taint his economis with the politics. Nobody I can think of was arguing this point under Trump. A select few acknowledged he was a spender but Houston is the only one I remember being pissed off about the printing machine during Trump's term. Trump was as afraid of touching rates as anyone because he knew it would have fucked up at least his perfect stock market, if not his perfect economy.

Which makes you wonder ... say whatever else you want about Trump, the man has balls and was willing to take heat. If HE was too chickenshit to do the right thing, who the fuck else is going to? It will IMMEDIATELY send the market into a tailspin. And @pawz ' s commissions will take a hit because housing prices will fall.
    I completely agree regarding @HoustonHusky, but that's not who I was replying to. I'll have an honest disagreement any day with any ilk°--hell, having your mind changed is how you learn. I have little time for a partisan echo chamber, though. I tune out at the first repetition of a Frank Luntz focus-grouped catchphrase, for instance, or when somebody whistles past the graveyard when his "team" passes a $2.2 billion relief bill and then throws a fit when the other "team" passes $1.9 trillion.

As to your last paragraph, I don't think it comes down to Trump being chickenshit or not. It was strictly politics and policy. If you recall, Trump's bill wasn't really Trump's bill. He held his nose and signed it, but Trump wanted $2000 checks, and McConnell and co. would only give him $600. My cynical theory is that there was an element of middle school ASB elections both then and now: You want to win ASB Class President, you promise two lunch breaks and free soda at the vending machines. You want to hold power in the U.S.A., you go full Oprah: "YOU get a check and YOU get a check! EVERYONE GETS A CHEEEEEEEECK!"*

*Except me this time thanks to Manchin...
  • Options

I completely agree regarding @HoustonHusky, but that's not who I was replying to. I'll have an honest disagreement any day with any ilk°--hell, having your mind changed is how you learn. I have little time for a partisan echo chamber, though. I tune out at the first repetition of a Frank Luntz focus-grouped catchphrase, for instance, or when somebody whistles past the graveyard when his "team" passes a $2.2 billion relief bill and then throws a fit when the other "team" passes $1.9 trillion.

As to your last paragraph, I don't think it comes down to Trump being chickenshit or not. It was strictly politics and policy. If you recall, Trump's bill wasn't really Trump's bill. He held his nose and signed it, but Trump wanted $2000 checks, and McConnell and co. would only give him $600. My cynical theory is that there was an element of middle school ASB elections both then and now: You want to win ASB Class President, you promise two lunch breaks and free soda at the vending machines. You want to hold power in the U.S.A., you go full Oprah: "YOU get a check and YOU get a check! EVERYONE GETS A CHEEEEEEEECK!"*

*Except me this time thanks to Manchin...
    Agree with all that. My only point about Trump was that, if he had thought the real best move was to click up rates, he would not have done it for the very reason you stated. Again, his perfect economy and perfect stock market performance. He was vocal for his disdain of the fed when they played around with rates. Trump wasn't a polished politician, but he was a politician in the end. My main point, though, is that he wasn't afraid of heat ... frankly I think he's one of those people who thrive in the heat and who get bored and sloppy when things are routine and normalized. And as such a guy, even he would not have made the tough call on the Fed if it had occurred to him to do so.