Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Tom Brady had great tweet about his contract extension

Comments

• Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,719
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Every team who has signed their q.b. to a monster contract eating up 20% of the cap hasn't won a SB in like the last ten years. There's a lesson here.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Every team who has signed their q.b. to a monster contract eating up 20% of the cap hasn't won a SB in like the last ten years. There's a lesson here.

Agree Billy. There is a proven formula that works and has won Super Bowls. I think coaches and executives are too scared to take the risk and get fired if they draft a shitty QB versus the proven, way overpaid QB.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I like to sign a football contract with a scented candle on the table. It's what I like to do.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,717
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I like to sign a football contract with a scented candle on the table. It's what I like to do.

You might like to be married to a super model then
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

You might like to be married to a super model then
    Not worth it.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited March 2021

It's really rare for anyone to eat up 20% of the cap.

Highest cap percentage of various QBs:

Peyton 20.5% (2003) (next highest year was 17.2%)
    Eli 16.9% (2013)
    Brees 16.4% (2015)
    Stafford 15.9% (2019)
    Jimmy G 15.6% (2018)
    Russ 15.5% (2020)
    Big Ben 15.3% (2016)
    Cousins 15.1% (2019)
    Ryan 15.0% (2016)
    Rodgers 14.9% (2020) (20.1% projected for 2021 but that will almost assuredly be restructured)
    Dak 14.4% (2020)
    Goff 14.3% (2020)
    Brady 13.6% (2006)

Watson, Cousins and Mahomes all have years coming over 20% and Dak has one at 19.6% but I would imagine all of that gets restructured (and those are based on current cap projections which are highly likely to be low because the upcoming TV deal is speculated to be huge).

Unlike basically every other team the Seahawks don't like to restructure contracts to push cap hits into the future so it's possible Russ's 18.6 in 2022 actually happens but I bet even Schneider will be unable to stomach that and will restructure. The Hawks have built in restructure rights in Russ's contract so they can move base salary to signing bonus anytime they want to and push the cap hits out. Rodgers is projected at 20.1% this year but I think even that probably gets redone. Of course if the cap rises significantly they probably won't feel the need to restructure.The Packers are the other team that's very hesitant to "take out the credit card" (which is where Schneider gets it).