Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

HCH Academy Awards - Best Picture 2009?

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,084
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam

HCH Academy Awards - Best Picture 2009? 25 votes

Inglorious Bastards
44%
BennyBeaverMad_SonAtomicDawgYouKnowItchuckdfleabiak1GrundleStiltzkinLaocoönNeighbor2972JoeEDangerously 11 votes
District 9
4%
RoadDawg55 1 vote
Get an Avatar, you fucking savages
0%
Star Trek
4%
RaceBannon 1 vote
The Hangover
20%
greenblooddncBad_MotherDuckerhuskyhooliganYellowSnow 5 votes
Fantastic Mr. Fox
0%
The Blind Side
20%
DerekJohnsonFire_Marshall_Billalumni94PurpleThrobberHuskyInAZ 5 votes
The Secret In Their Eyes
0%
Watchmen
4%
Swaye 1 vote
F.O. Row Peter Puffer, you left off...
4%
1to392831weretaken 1 vote

Comments

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Hangover
    Hangover and it's not really close.

• Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Inglorious Bastards
    Strong year. Inglorious Basterds got better & better for me over tim. Hangover is a triumph. Love Mr. Fox. Star Trek was very good as reboots go. And I love Blind Side, treaclely as it may be. Avatar fucking sucks tho.

Not listed, Moon. Tremendous movie. Watch it.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Hangover

Strong year. Inglorious Basterds got better & better for me over tim. Hangover is a triumph. Love Mr. Fox. Star Trek was very good as reboots go. And I love Blind Side, treaclely as it may be. Avatar fucking sucks tho.

Not listed, Moon. Tremendous movie. Watch it.

Bastards is probably QT's best work outside of Pulp in my estimation. For whatever reason, the absurdity of the plot and gratuitous violence just works better in this film than most. Brad Pitt nailed it and Waltz does a villainous Nazi better than anyone in the history of cinema.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Inglorious Bastards
    TYFYS fixing the poster. Up belongs in convo too, imo.
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,221
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Inglorious Bastards
    Carving a swastika in the forehead of a Nazi shitbird is going to score some points with an audience like me.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,327
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    My favorite three movies from this year were Moon, Ink, and The Road.

Scary movies do nothing for me, but, man, I had a hard time sleeping after watching The Road. It's so stark and fucked up. It succeeded in invoking a response from me, so points for that.

It's a shame Moon didn't have ten times the budget. Really cool movie, really great acting, and if they could have afforded to simulate low-g in the station, it would have been perfect.

Ink is an interesting movie. Everything about it gives you the impression of a film school project: The acting is downright terrible at times, the dialog writing is sometimes a little wooden, the directing isn't great, and the whole look of the movie is a little... fake. Yet I couldn't help but really, really like it. It's an original concept, really entertaining story, and I've wanted to watch it again ever since watching it that first time.

For mainstream movies, sure, Hangover. It was awesome. I've seen surprisingly few of the rest of the movies in the above collage.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    edited March 2021
    Inglorious Bastards

Scary movies do nothing for me, but, man, I had a hard time sleeping after watching The Road. It's so stark and fucked up. It succeeded in invoking a response from me, so points for that.

It's a shame Moon didn't have ten times the budget. Really cool movie, really great acting, and if they could have afforded to simulate low-g in the station, it would have been perfect.

Ink is an interesting movie. Everything about it gives you the impression of a film school project: The acting is downright terrible at times, the dialog writing is sometimes a little wooden, the directing isn't great, and the whole look of the movie is a little... fake. Yet I couldn't help but really, really like it. It's an original concept, really entertaining story, and I've wanted to watch it again ever since watching it that first time.

For mainstream movies, sure, Hangover. It was awesome. I've seen surprisingly few of the rest of the movies in the above collage.

The Road is my wheelhouse, dystopian sci-fi. However, I have a real hard tim with kid-in-peril stuff so I've deliberately never seen. Maybe one day.

Funny, I never once noticed the lack of low G effects in Moon. I love that movie.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Hangover

The Road is my wheelhouse, dystopian sci-fi. However, I have a real hard tim with kid-in-peril stuff so I've deliberately never seen. Maybe one day.
    I read the book. I don't do well with kids in peril stuff either. 2020 was enough of heartbroken yoots for me.
  • Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,109
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Hangover
    Normally I'd go Harry Potter on your soc peter puffing lanky ass but Half Blood Prince may be my least favorite of the genre, and left more questions than answers.

Other movies not listed:

Sherlock Holmes
    Up (I'm not crying you're crying)
    Taken
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
    Zombieland

Avatar might have been the most overhyped movie I've ever seen.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,341
    Inglorious Bastards
    It’s a little baggy at times but one of my favorite Tarantino movies.

Hangover- might have been the hardest I’d ever laughed at a movie.

I’m a huge Wes Anderson honk and FMF is one of his best.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Inglorious Bastards

It’s a little baggy at times but one of my favorite Tarantino movies.

Hangover- might have been the hardest I’d ever laughed at a movie.

I’m a huge Wes Anderson honk and FMF is one of his best.

#MeToo, I prevented others from enjoying the movie fully.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Funny, I never once noticed the lack of low G effects in Moon. I love that movie.
    That's what I mean with The Road. It was really, really disturbing in a way that was believable, unlike run of the mill horror or most suspense.

The writer/director of Moon even talked about the lack of low-G effects in interviews after the movie's release. There's an unfortunate Hollywood convention that if there's an atmosphere, there's also gravity. In the past, it was probably just an oversight, but I think it keeps being done largely for how difficulty it is to film zero/low-g indoor scenes--and how impossible it is to do it cheaply. The makers of Moon decided early on that they were just going to ignore it. It actually confused me on first viewing, so I looked up whether I was missing something or what. Nope, just an intentional oversight for budgetary reasons. For those same reasons, they shot with models instead of CGI, and they even reused a set from a different movie for the main living quarters to save money.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Pumpydoubleshitpost:

Seriously, though, watch The Road. You're right, it's a tough watch. It just occurred to me that it was a lot like watching Manchester By the Sea. There's nothing "fun" about watching either of them. You finish the movie, and it's like, "Well... that was fucked up." But they were both so well done that it was worth watching. Have zero intention of watching either a second time.

I mean, Schindler's List is totally fucked up and awful, and I'm not going to watch it again, but I'm really glad I saw it once.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Inglorious Bastards
    The Road book was enough, I tried the movie but it didn't grip me like the book did. I know that sounds like the old book > movie cliche, but it was true for me in this case.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,650
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Inglorious Bastards
    I would have voted for The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. She gave me major wood.

Pretty shit year for me, mainly because I must have quit watching movies that year. I've only seen two from the list.
  • Options
    alumni94alumni94 Member Posts: 4,849
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    The Blind Side
    chuck said:

I would have voted for The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. She gave me major wood.

Pretty shit year for me, mainly because I must have quit watching movies that year. I've only seen two from the list.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is like Seven to me. Hard to watch.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Normally I'd go Harry Potter on your soc peter puffing lanky ass but Half Blood Prince may be my least favorite of the genre, and left more questions than answers.

Other movies not listed:

Sherlock Holmes
    Up (I'm not crying you're crying)
    Taken
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
    Zombieland

Avatar might have been the most overhyped movie I've ever seen.

Good call on Up. Another rare animated kids movie that I had no problem watching (AND watching AND watching AND watching...) with my kids when they were little. And Zombieland is my favorite zombie movie/show by far. Never seen a zombie movie that isn't a comedy that I like.

Taken was a great action flick. Know what my favorite part was? The end, where he knows his daughter is on the boat, and he's trying to catch up to the boat in a car. The whole time I'm watching that scene, I'm thinking, "That car is jumping onto that boat. There's no way that's not happening." And then it didn't. That they didn't take that low hanging ridiculous fruit was pretty impressive to me.

Never seen the others.
  • Options
    Inglorious Bastards
    Up and A Serious Man...Good chit.

Avatar was a cool visual experience, but like we say, No.

The Blind Side cuz I want to give Sandy all 3 inches of my thunder.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    So there's a Swedish version of Dragon Tattoo Girl that came out in 2009 and there's a U.S. version that came out in 2011. Which is better if I were going to watch one?