Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Funny to an old man

Comments

• Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,200
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    EwaDawg said:

Christ. You guys haven’t lived until you bought a house at 10% plus interest requiring 20% down.

Been there, done that. I think I was at about 11% in 1990. And, of course 20% down.

Good times.
    Bought our first house in 1990. I think we paid 10.25%. Thought we were really killing it when we got to 6 something in a refi.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    HHusky said:

EwaDawg said:

Christ. You guys haven’t lived until you bought a house at 10% plus interest requiring 20% down.

Been there, done that. I think I was at about 11% in 1990. And, of course 20% down.

Good times.
    Bought our first house in 1990. I think we paid 10.25%. Thought we were really killing it when we got to 6 something in a refi.
    I remember when it got into the 5s; the refi world was on fire. No better time to be a mortgage broker.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,064
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    HHusky said:

EwaDawg said:

Good times.
    And you actually were killing it at 6. That's why sub 3 like we are seeing now is so absurd. And cool. It's like FREE MONEY!
  • Options
    Swaye said:

HHusky said:

EwaDawg said:

Good times.
    And you actually were killing it at 6. That's why sub 3 like we are seeing now is so absurd. And cool. It's like FREE MONEY!
    Exactly. Fuck, if rates were to increase to an even rational level, you'd be net in the black maintaining the loan and parking your cash in a MM.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Low rates are here to stay. I would probably won’t see rates above 8 % for another 2 decades
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,876
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    FireCohen said:

Low rates are here to stay. I would probably won’t see rates above 8 % for another 2 decades

God, I hope that's true.

The Throbber needs 3 to 5 years of moderately low rates (4 to 5%) so he can GTFO out the compound and then Ka Ching into a nice ass mcmansion in a nice ass climate. Fuck this snow bullshit. Aside from mosquito swatting bikers with his Boss snow plow, moving mass amounts of snow loses it's novelty after a couple years.

• Options

FireCohen said:

God, I hope that's true.

The Throbber needs 3 to 5 years of moderately low rates (4 to 5%) so he can GTFO out the compound and then Ka Ching into a nice ass mcmansion in a nice ass climate. Fuck this snow bullshit. Aside from mosquito swatting bikers with his Boss snow plow, moving mass amounts of snow loses it's novelty after a couple years.

I need rates to stay low ... like below any credible notion of a 5% pension discount rate, for my lump sum payout in 2028 or 2029. The supplemental piece in particular moves like a mother fucker on discount rate. The qualified piece is more like a yacht ... bigger and more stable. The supplemental, which makes up 40+% of my benefit, is like a Jet Ski. Any little move in rates and that fucking thing is all over the place.
  • Options

FireCohen said:

God, I hope that's true.

I need rates to stay low ... like below any credible notion of a 5% pension discount rate, for my lump sum payout in 2028 or 2029. The supplemental piece in particular moves like a mother fucker on discount rate. The qualified piece is more like a yacht ... bigger and more stable. The supplemental, which makes up 40+% of my benefit, is like a Jet Ski. Any little move in rates and that fucking thing is all over the place.
    The Throbber just wants to cash the fuck out of the GNR Compound by pawning it off to some unsuspecting Cali/PDX/Seattleite who thinks it is cool to live in the woods, then drop all the cash into a comparable place somewhere warm and shut it the fuck down. War no mortgage!

The Throbber is totally content with having high speed internet, a fully charged Kindle and a fridge stocked with cervezas and vodka. Don't need much more, to be honest. Getting all the jet setting out of my system while I can still get around without a walker.

• Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

FireCohen said:

God, I hope that's true.

It will. Take all the screen shots you need lolz
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,443
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The low mortgage rates are the thread keeping the whole thing together just like low interest rates keep the borrowing going.

science
  • Options

The low mortgage rates are the thread keeping the whole thing together just like low interest rates keep the borrowing going.

science

True - and like we say, as long as the house is paid off/new home purchased debt free within 5 years, gonna buy me a golf cart and play some bocci for fun. No car payment/upkeep/insurance. No more paying for kids, no more anything but booze, edibles and internet. And Fuck Jay Inslee we're at it - gonna take all those capital gains elsewhere, motherfucker.

Sort of how I imagine @RaceBannon lives right now.

• Options

science

How fucking dependent on housing is our economy?

Btw that's good for Creepy's company bidness, but still. We have a lot of eggs in that basket.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,443
    Swaye's Wigwam

science

Btw that's good for Creepy's company bidness, but still. We have a lot of eggs in that basket.
    Everyone does

I noted last year that as the economy shut down the rich neighborhoods were full of tradesmen remolding both for owners and for profit. Also need that foreign money to keep pouring in to justify the prices

Orange County prime ocean is where Beverley Hills was and the high end in LA on a big flat lot with 20,000 sf is near 100 million

Somebody has money

• Options

science

Everyone does

I noted last year that as the economy shut down the rich neighborhoods were full of tradesmen remolding both for owners and for profit. Also need that foreign money to keep pouring in to justify the prices

Orange County prime ocean is where Beverley Hills was and the high end in LA on a big flat lot with 20,000 sf is near 100 million

Somebody has money

$100 million for a house. JFC. There's a lot of money in that white powder.
  • Options

science

Everyone does

Somebody has money

$100 million for a house. JFC. There's a lot of money in that white powder.
    For the guy who wants to shit in a different toilet every day of the month.
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    dflea said:

Imagine thinking an “MBA in finance” is supposed to impress people.

No shit the loss isn’t realized until you sell. If rates pop up to ~6% nobody is buying anyone’s 800k home nor able to borrow at that rate.

What a dumb fuck.

Do tell. I'm not the only one here whose folks were paying 15-16% on their first mortgage back in the early 70's. In fact over the last 50 years, the rates have been below 6% for about 10 of them.

No need to spaz like you're in some Tug thread.
    Interest rates never hit 15-16% at anytime in the 1970s let alone the early 70s but cool story bro. It's almost like a story a whiney Kunt would tell.
  • Options
    SFGbob said:

dflea said:

No shit the loss isn’t realized until you sell. If rates pop up to ~6% nobody is buying anyone’s 800k home nor able to borrow at that rate.

What a dumb fuck.

Do tell. I'm not the only one here whose folks were paying 15-16% on their first mortgage back in the early 70's. In fact over the last 50 years, the rates have been below 6% for about 10 of them.

Interest rates never hit 15-16% at anytime in the 1970s let alone the early 70s but cool story bro. It's almost like a story a whiney Kunt would tell.
    At this bored, we say, "You must be mistaken, good sir."
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    HHusky said:

dflea said:

What a dumb fuck.

I think my boss paid 18% in 1982 or thereabouts.

Of course, my money market account was paying 15% too.
    If you were trying to save for retirement during the early to mid 80s the only investment advice you'd get would be to put your money into a CD.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Just refi'd to a 15 year fixed at 2.375% in November. Immediately went from paying about 57% to the interest each month to paying 72% toward the principal each month. Playing around with paying an additional $500 each month and the savings in interest over the life of the loan are not insignificant. I went from thinking I'd always have a mortgage to realistically paying this place off in less than 10 years. If I can get my wife to stop buying expensive cars and put that money toward the mortgage I could have the place paid off before I retire.
  • Options
    SFGbob said:

Just refi'd to a 15 year fixed at 2.375% in November. Immediately went from paying about 57% to the interest each month to paying 72% toward the principal each month. Playing around with paying an additional $500 each month and the savings in interest over the life of the loan are not insignificant. I went from thinking I'd always have a mortgage to realistically paying this place off in less than 10 years. If I can get my wife to stop buying expensive cars and put that money toward the mortgage I could have the place paid off before I retire.

That's a good deal. If you're convinced like @HoustonHusky that the Fed will keep this house of cards propped up for a while longer, you might take that $500 and put in the market. The net gain is easy against 2.375% interest, and your house is increasing in value as well.

I went to a 15 year back a billion years ago at 4.5%, which relative to where they'd been bumping along was like a home run for timing the market. It was miraculous. And that 15 years flew by quickly. No question that in hindsight that move will be amongst the most significant financial moves you'll ever make unless you get in on some private equity thing and hit it out of the park or unless you're one of thee investment wizbangs that lurk around here. I am not that person. I don't have the balls for it.