Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Continuity is more important than talent

It's worth cutting corners for the sake of continuity. That always makes a program better. HC, OC, DC, it's the best policy. To consider anything different is hearsay. I wonder if this belief in continuity has been extended to our QB recruitment. Marcus Mariota. Lightning in a bottle just like Chip Kelly. Helfrich probably thought to himself when looking at 3 star Morgan Mahalak as Mariota's future replacement, "MM." First name starts with an M, last name starts with an M. I need look no further. He must be the guy.

Comments

• Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Slingblade is a very good QB coach and evaluator of the position, except for 2/3rds of the guys he's signed. Andrew Walters and Mariota were big time.

Let us not forget the two backups that been reported as being so bad they can't even be trusted to run the offense in any capacity even in junk time. Other than that it's all good. 1 outta 3 wouldn't even be acceptable by Meatloaf's standards.

I keep trying to look for signs that he's going to get us to the top or at least back to Chip level and I've literally never seen one thing with the program so far. I don't want to be negative, but there is no positive.
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    Mosster47 said:

Slingblade is a very good QB coach and evaluator of the position, except for 2/3rds of the guys he's signed. Andrew Walters and Mariota were big time.

Let us not forget the two backups that been reported as being so bad they can't even be trusted to run the offense in any capacity even in junk time. Other than that it's all good. 1 outta 3 wouldn't even be acceptable by Meatloaf's standards.

I keep trying to look for signs that he's going to get us to the top or at least back to Chip level and I've literally never seen one thing with the program so far. I don't want to be negative, but there is no positive.

Agree. He's also losing recruits that should have been ours. I wouldn't be surprised with a 4 loss season next year. But don't say that on educk. Everything is just excellent over there.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Mosster47 said:

Agree. He's also losing recruits that should have been ours. I wouldn't be surprised with a 4 loss season next year. But don't say that on educk. Everything is just excellent over there.
    And if you keep arguing with me then you're gone -- okay? Honestly -- you're so wrong on this and I am beginning to doubt that you care one iota about the Duck program.

• Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,280
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited February 2014
    Mosster47 said:

dnc said:

Mosster47 said:

And if you keep arguing with me then you're gone -- okay? Honestly -- you're so wrong on this and I am beginning to doubt that you care one iota about the Duck program.

It's cute that your fandom is measured by how positive you can be instead of addressing the problems.

Nega: "Our interior defense was very poor last year and we graduated a lot of guys, but we basically signed no one at either DT or MLB."

Quook: "We signed three highly sought after running backs though you fagtastic piece of shit!!! Are you a Husky troll??"

Nega: "We already had more young ball carriers then we needed last year to begin with."

Quook: "I'll burn your house down with you inside of it!!!" "I'm going to start sending you very mean PMs, because I'm TUFF like that"
    Fixed
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,517
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    I agree with all your points (the lack of DL/OL in this class is bullshit), but Mahalak is the truth. He will be the starter in 2015 and will be very, very good
  • Options
    ntxduck said:

I agree with all your points (the lack of DL/OL in this class is bullshit), but Mahalak is the truth. He will be the starter in 2015 and will be very, very good

Hope you're right.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Mosster47 said:

Mariota will probably hide some warts. I doubt you lose 4. You guys are certainly trending down though. Personally, I hope Helfrich wins 9 or 10 every year and is just good enough to stay because we saw what you can do with a great coach.
  • Options

Mosster47 said:

Mariota will probably hide some warts. I doubt you lose 4. You guys are certainly trending down though. Personally, I hope Helfrich wins 9 or 10 every year and is just good enough to stay because we saw what you can do with a great coach.
    Trade you straight up, Helf for Petersen. You can have Frost as a bonus.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Mosster47 said:

For the first time since 2002, we have a bettter coach than Oregon.

I forgot what it feels like.

• Options
    dnc said:

Mosster47 said:

Mariota should have left for the NFL. If Helfrich is going to be exposed, it needs to be sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    dnc said:

Mosster47 said:

Since 1995 we've only been able to say that for four seasons. It does feel nice.

Shit you could argue since 1993 even but that is splitting hairs.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,582
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I remember watching some ESPN thing on Pellum and I just remember thinking "wow the Ducks must have him on staff because they feel sorry for him and because he won't leave Eugene" He was a running backs coach right? Like the quality of backs you guys have ever needed fucking coaching. Still shocked he was made a D coordinator.
  • Options
    FenwickFenwick Member Posts: 1,174
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment 5 Awesomes
    I don't knwo what to think about the coaches. The crappy games last year puzzled me, excepting for Mariota's injury. We need some stellar back up players on the line. Is that so difficult for the coaches to see and then deal with?
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246

dnc said:

Mosster47 said:

Agreed. That's Giant Douche vs Turd Sanwich area there.

I'm taking a LIPO approach with Peterman. Everyone before him and BSU has went on to burn up their respective dumpsters. Slighblade isn't Chip and he was hired to be Chip, so he's failing.

If he had taken over for Mike Bellotti I would be happy with him right now, but he didn't and I'm not.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2014
    Mosster47 said:

dnc said:

Mosster47 said:

Agreed. That's Giant Douche vs Turd Sanwich area there.

I'm taking a LIPO approach with Peterman. Everyone before him and BSU has went on to burn up their respective dumpsters. Slighblade isn't Chip and he was hired to be Chip, so he's failing.

If he had taken over for Mike Bellotti I would be happy with him right now, but he didn't and I'm not.</</b>blockquote>

That's not really logical. If Helfrich took over for Bellotti, he might have won 6 or 7 games. He wouldn't have inherited the situation he did if he took over for Bellotti. You wouldn't have some of the players you currently have if it wasn't for Chip. How was Helfrich not hired to keep what Chip had going? Sure, he's not going to be Chip, but the expectations should be roughly the same. Why else would you promote someone from within?

• Options
    The expectations need to remain: we need to win every game each season or the season is a failure (but not give up playing well if we do drop a game). Helfrich will need to leave if he starts lowering those expectations.
  • Options
    DugtheDoogDugtheDoog Member Posts: 3,180
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

The expectations need to remain: we need to win every game each season or the season is a failure (but not give up playing well if we do drop a game). Helfrich will need to leave if he starts lowering those expectations.

Well then you've never had a season that wasn't a failure. Even Chip lost at least 1 game every year. Chip's an amazing coach but people are acting like he inherited a dumpster fire. He went 8-1 in conference his first year and went to the rose bowl.
  • Options

Well then you've never had a season that wasn't a failure. Even Chip lost at least 1 game every year. Chip's an amazing coach but people are acting like he inherited a dumpster fire. He went 8-1 in conference his first year and went to the rose bowl.
    I just meant treat every game as if it absolutely has to be won and play like it will be the end of the world if it's lost. But shake it off afterward if it's a loss and move on to the next game and treat it the same way.