Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

A brief history of the only GREAT Pac 12 football HC hires in the past 30 years

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,072 Founders Club

Comments

• HuskyJWHuskyJW Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,361 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited March 2021
    Harbaugh hire>CP

hmmmmm.....bold statement
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,072 Founders Club
    HuskyJW said:

Harbaugh hire>CP

hmmmmm.....bold statement

Yeah, w/o question. Harbaugh overachieved bigly at Stanford. Won some huge games he wasn't supposed to. Set the program up to be a perennial Pac contender after he left.

Can the same be said of Pete? Pete was a good (not great) hire with the benefit of hindsight.
    edited March 2021

Won a Rose Bowl

Never won the Pac

Decent hire. Turned out not to be a "great" one.

Harbaugh would have won more than a few Pac titles if he stayed at Furd.

From an objective view point, he didn't accomplish anything. But I'll give you this: Riley's worst year in 14 years at Oregon St. is better than all but 2 years since he's left.

He wasn't a great coach, but in their history, he was a great hire.

There's been lots of "good" hires over the years. This where I put Shaw, Whittingham, Pete, Riley, Toledo, Snyder, Tedford, etc.

The point of the OP though is that there have really only been like 2, maybe 3, gland slam hires in the recent history of this league. They mostly always end up in failure with some occasional good ones.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,309

From an objective view point, he didn't accomplish anything. But I'll give you this: Riley's worst year in 14 years at Oregon St. is better than all but 2 years since he's left.

There's been lots of "good" hires over the years. This where I put Shaw, Whittingham, Pete, Riley, Toledo, Snyder, Tedford, etc.

The point of the OP though is that there have really only been like 2, maybe 3, gland slam hires in the recent history of this league. They mostly always end up in failure with some occasional good ones.
    I'll give you that
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,491 Standard Supporter
    edited March 2021

I'll give you that
    Useless without hearing from @iDawg
  • WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,329 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited March 2021
    I would actually give two Great Hires for the Chipper. 1. Hiring him as OC 2. Hiring him as HC. Both were also seriously balls moves too, especially HC. For what Washington was at the time, who I assume they would have hired otherwise and guys like Mora seemingly turning it down, and what the program is looking like quickly after Petersen, he was a borderline great hire.

I would consider calling Riley and even Leach great hires given what else those programs have done. Consider Shaw too. I know Harbaugh totally set him up and he slid over time the way we all thought he was but that was a situation where someone easily could have driven the joke that is Stanford football off a cliff, let alone kept them winning Pac-12 championships for a while.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,861
    I really look forward to stanford being garbage again
  • WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,329 Swaye's Wigwam

"Look forward" - aren't we there already outside of against Washington?
    edited March 2021

You have to beat them first.

But I mean real garbage. Like my first 2 years of ever caring about pac football when I was a freshman and soph in 07 we beat them by like 35 each time.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823

But I mean real garbage. Like my first 2 years of ever caring about pac football when I was a freshman and soph in 07 we beat them by like 35 each time.
    Idk, Washington is about to be that bad
    FireCohen said:

Idk, Washington is about to be that bad
    We should fire cohen imo
  • dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,368

Garbage, like, 60% of their team injured and playing the 2nd string janitor two years ago or practicing in the Denny's parking lot on short notice and still pushing in our shit? Like that kind of garbage?

We don't want to see the squad, we just dont.....

Uncle Denny >>>>>>>>Mediocre Mike

And it's not even close.

GOAT Boov team.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,950 Swaye's Wigwam

Uncle Denny >>>>>>>>Mediocre Mike

And it's not even close.

Yes. A playoff caliber team, good enough to win too, beats the sum total of all of Riley's against-all-odds mediicrity.
  • GhostofMosster47GhostofMosster47 Member Posts: 68

That's every conference.