Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

McGary made a bad choice.

It may come off that way but that's not what I'm implying. Going to college should be an opportunity to grow as a human being. By picking the school closest to home I don't think you have that opportunity. It's more distracting because of all your friends and family are close, home is still close and everything from what you know life to be is still right there.

I grew up just a few minutes North from where he is and I can say that going to school out of the area which happened to be WSU was one of the best things I could have done for myself. I was running away from anything. But I did notice a pattern when I watched upperclassman friends go off to college. Those who went to WSU, Western, Central or further out became their own person, more independent, adapted to new situations better and handled the obstacles of life better than the ones who went to school close to home. Those who went to school closer were home almost every weekend to do laundry, getting food from mom and dad and still hanging out with their childhood friends most of the time. This resulted in many of them moving back home and commuting to class or in some cases just dropping out of school.

All I'm saying is that when I see a kid pick the school closest to home I feel like they are selling themselves and their college/life experience short. In this case it happens to be that UW is the closest school to him and that's my beef. That and what that school and area offer is completely opposite of the song and dance he was putting on earlier in recruiting.

Comments

• Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,093
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I completely disagree. If you choose to go home every weekend and not meet anyone who you didn't hang out with in high school then you are doing yourself a disservice. I grew up near Renton and pretty much only saw my parents over holidays and rare weekends. Some of my best friends from high school went to UW and we remained great friends but then we made a lot of new friends as well. A few months after graduating from UW I moved to Wisconsin and had no trouble whatsoever adjusting to being beyond a short drive from everyone I grew up with.

Maybe you would not have thrived if you had gone to UW, but I did, as did many other local kids. McGary may be like you or he may be like me but to immediately assume that people who go to their hometown school are making the wrong choice is a mistake.
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,093

Whoooooooosh

That is clearly a major coog post

Gah! I've been had!

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=137&f=1995&t=12653129&p=2
  • Options
    puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Trolling motherfucker
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,362
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Harv could have tweeted that 140 characters at a time
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,620
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fucking good one. It was actually annoying as shit and TLDR so I just scrolled down the thread after a few sentences. Gotta admit I didn't even consider the possibility of a whoosh. I'm slow that way though.
  • Options
    unfrozencavemanunfrozencaveman Member Posts: 2,303
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Free food and laundry facilities in Fife? Count me in
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    LevelParLevelPar Member Posts: 447
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Testing 1
    Great read....no go gargle some balls
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

It may come off that way but that's not what I'm implying. Going to college should be an opportunity to grow as a human being. By picking the school closest to home I don't think you have that opportunity. It's more distracting because of all your friends and family are close, home is still close and everything from what you know life to be is still right there.

I grew up just a few minutes North from where he is and I can say that going to school out of the area which happened to be WSU was one of the best things I could have done for myself. I was running away from anything. But I did notice a pattern when I watched upperclassman friends go off to college. Those who went to WSU, Western, Central or further out became their own person, more independent, adapted to new situations better and handled the obstacles of life better than the ones who went to school close to home. Those who went to school closer were home almost every weekend to do laundry, getting food from mom and dad and still hanging out with their childhood friends most of the time. This resulted in many of them moving back home and commuting to class or in some cases just dropping out of school.

All I'm saying is that when I see a kid pick the school closest to home I feel like they are selling themselves and their college/life experience short. In this case it happens to be that UW is the closest school to him and that's my beef. That and what that school and area offer is completely opposite of the song and dance he was putting on earlier in recruiting.

I totally agree with this post. It seems like he's really missing an opportunity that looked so perfect for him. Not only playing for Leach, but getting just far enough away from mom and dad and living in a place that seemed like the perfect fit for this young man.

And for him to say that he 'could make UW work' doesn't seem like it was a personal heartfelt decision. It's his life, but it sure looks and feels like he's missing out on a unique chance to enjoy his college experience.

• Options
    CuntWaffle went to western you dumbfucks.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2014
    This post is a funny whoosh, but kids from the greater Seattle area that go to UW, but go home every weekend are lame. I would agree with that.
  • Options
    IrishDawg22IrishDawg22 Member Posts: 2,754
    I gave the WTF because he is spending WAY too much time on the Coog board.
  • Options
    MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685

I gave the WTF because he is spending WAY too much time on the Coog board.

OpenSeason is a dreckfest now that all TBS related topics get poofed instantly.

Give him a break.
  • Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    If UW is not going to pay him for playing.

He should go home as often as possible.

No kid can make it financially in college, especially with the economy.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,522
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Speaking of Western and per your video, if only I had gone to Minnesota and murdered mid-Western blonde pussy would I not be a loser now.

CuntWaffle went to western you dumbfucks.

• Options
    TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    You're such a cynically creative cunt, which is an oxymoron any Pullmanian wannabe can appreciate.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    topdawgnc said:

The economy? Or This economy? I'm confused.
  • Options
    Coogs are fucking awesome like that. They always coog it up 24/7 365 days a year no matter what.

Just like Sankey isn't the next Stewert and will end up at Eastern Washington, just like Dockery is better than Kasen Williams, etc.

Yet every year they sit in irrelevancy still haven't posted a winning season since 2003 and still no Rose Bowl wins since 1916.
  • Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper

topdawgnc said:

The economy? Or This economy? I'm confused.
    Both

A free education just doesn't provide any more