Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

In what aspect of life are you best a cheapskate (aka summoning your inner Dave Ramsey thread)?

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,952
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
edited May 2022 in Tug Tavern

In what aspect of life are you best a cheapskate (aka summoning your inner Dave Ramsey thread)? 27 votes

No car payments / own a vehicle for 10 + years
14%
alumni94SourcesBearsWiinFishpo31 4 votes
Low monthly housing cost relative to net income
14%
HoustonHuskyYellowSnowUSMChawkHHusky 4 votes
I hade zero to one offspring total (i.e., avoided Grumble's Malthusian condition)
7%
whlinderDoogles 2 votes
Don't eat out much and/or go to bars
3%
Pitchfork51 1 vote
I dress like a bum
0%
Don't waste money on luxury baubles
14%
biak1GreenRiverGatorzBleachedAnusDawgBendDawg24 4 votes
Little or no student loan debt
14%
Fire_Marshall_BillSwayeLoneStarDawgDoog_de_Jour 4 votes
No expensive vacations
0%
No Husky, Duck, Cuog, etc season tickets and/or $500K donations to said universities
7%
greenbloodEwaDawg 2 votes
F.O. Row Peter Puffer, you left...
22%
Mad_SoncreepycougPurpleThrobberIPukeOregonGrellowLebamDawg1to392831weretaken 6 votes

Comments

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,863
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Save thousands of dollars per year buying cheap vodka to get drunk instead of high end shit to impress my frens.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    We do pretty well as family on a lot of these...

No car payments. Event before Covid we sucked at getting babysitting help, so restaurant tab was minimal. Mrs Snow had free college and my loans were nothing compared to what the kids these days to. But we are way, way below Dave's guidelines on montly housing cost being below 25% of net AND I don't event have to live in Texas!

But the Mrs kills our budget with travel lust and stupid misc crap.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Save thousands of dollars per year buying cheap vodka to get drunk instead of high end shit to impress my frens.

We could file that under no bars. It's close enough.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,312
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    No student loan debt (dropping out early helps there), no expensive vacations, dress like a bum, no season tickets to anything, truck is a jalopy, but there's no option to select multiple choices.

Where I save the most money is by doing things myself. I blow soooo much money on the things I want, but it chaps my ass to spend a lot of money on the things I need. I want a sweet bike that'll make my slow ass go fast around a track, I need a truck to haul it there: guess which one cost $3500 and which one cost $25K and counting? I buy new pants when the crotch and knees blow out of all of the ones I have. I buy new shirts when the ones I have no longer protect my nipples. I buy new shoes when the soles of the ones I have split in half. Clothes are "needs," so I can't be bothered. 300 hour house repair/upgrade? How much do the tools cost?... Car repair? How much do the tools cost?... Plumber wants $5600 for eight hours of work and $100 in fittings? Off to Google to make sure I do it right... Fuck spending money on no-fun bullshit like working plumbing. Ford dealer wants $700 per axle for fucking bake pads on the truck? $300 for even the premium pads and rotors at NAPA, three hours of swearing and bleeding knuckles. Whatever. I could go on and on. You could probably learn how to build a liquid booster rocket and orbital crew vehicle just buy reading some forums and watching some YouTube videos; there's nothing stopping anybody from learning how to do pretty much anything these days (I spent an hour this morning watching videos explaining how to set up for aluminum anodizing in your garage, for instance).

That being said, learning how to do stuff can be more expensive in the long run. Getting a $250K shop for $100K by building it yourself still costs $100K. Getting $250K in home repairs and upgrades for $150K by doing most of it yourself still costs $150K, which is more expensive than just selling the place and buying one that's not falling apart. When Apple releases in iPhone connection for your new car, but it costs $400 for what is essentially a cable, you can say, "You can fuck right off, Apple, I'll do it myself," but the math only works out if you don't then spend over $1000 building a full-blown PC with touchscreen controls into the dash/trunk. Being handy and obstinate has ended up being really fucking expensive, actually.

Having a huge tool collection and zero free time is cool, though, so I got that going for me. Which is nice.
  • Options
    Blu82Blu82 Member Posts: 1,510
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Daughter says I look like I'm homeless.
    That is the very look I'm hoping to convey.
  • Options
    USMChawkUSMChawk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,796
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Cashing in on the Seattle equity has done wonders for our lifestyle. No longer feeling house poor.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,746
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Great pole. All of the above minus one offspring, and that's a big one. Three girls. Very $$$$.

And in reality, while I like to drink, I've spent far less on booze in my lifetim than most of my contemporaries because of seeing alcoholism up close. It ain't pretty, and there are few things more annoying than a drunk. Even more annoying than liberals who lie, and who love to be lied to. ;)

• Options

No student loan debt (dropping out early helps there), no expensive vacations, dress like a bum, no season tickets to anything, truck is a jalopy, but there's no option to select multiple choices.

Where I save the most money is by doing things myself. I blow soooo much money on the things I want, but it chaps my ass to spend a lot of money on the things I need. I want a sweet bike that'll make my slow ass go fast around a track, I need a truck to haul it there: guess which one cost $3500 and which one cost $25K and counting? I buy new pants when the crotch and knees blow out of all of the ones I have. I buy new shirts when the ones I have no longer protect my nipples. I buy new shoes when the soles of the ones I have split in half. Clothes are "needs," so I can't be bothered. 300 hour house repair/upgrade? How much do the tools cost?... Car repair? How much do the tools cost?... Plumber wants $5600 for eight hours of work and $100 in fittings? Off to Google to make sure I do it right... Fuck spending money on no-fun bullshit like working plumbing. Ford dealer wants $700 per axle for fucking bake pads on the truck? $300 for even the premium pads and rotors at NAPA, three hours of swearing and bleeding knuckles. Whatever. I could go on and on. You could probably learn how to build a liquid booster rocket and orbital crew vehicle just buy reading some forums and watching some YouTube videos; there's nothing stopping anybody from learning how to do pretty much anything these days (I spent an hour this morning watching videos explaining how to set up for aluminum anodizing in your garage, for instance).

That being said, learning how to do stuff can be more expensive in the long run. Getting a $250K shop for $100K by building it yourself still costs $100K. Getting $250K in home repairs and upgrades for $150K by doing most of it yourself still costs $150K, which is more expensive than just selling the place and buying one that's not falling apart. When Apple releases in iPhone connection for your new car, but it costs $400 for what is essentially a cable, you can say, "You can fuck right off, Apple, I'll do it myself," but the math only works out if you don't then spend over $1000 building a full-blown PC with touchscreen controls into the dash/trunk. Being handy and obstinate has ended up being really fucking expensive, actually.

Having a huge tool collection and zero free time is cool, though, so I got that going for me. Which is nice.

Well, shit I forget the DIY option. Much money can be saved by doing shit one's self.

Unlike Charmin soft @creepycoug I refuse to hire out the lawn mowing. A man can't be a real man, unless you mow your own lawn. I've done my own brakes and my own oil once, but I don't enjoy it so will probably continue to pay a professional there.

My wife's up my ass to get our interior painted; I'm like Michelangelo with a paint brush but it would have taken too much time vs paying a crew of painters and keeping my marriage intact.
    I actually stopped paying for yard maintenance. They were getting lazy about weeding and shit and were raising prices. Basically they were here too long and became Americans. Once I saw the new 1/2 ton pickup, I knew it was only a matter of tim.
  • Options
    IPukeOregonGrellowIPukeOregonGrellow Member Posts: 2,183
  • Options
    IPukeOregonGrellowIPukeOregonGrellow Member Posts: 2,183

Great pole. All of the above minus one offspring, and that's a big one. Three girls. Very $$$$.

And in reality, while I like to drink, I've spent far less on booze in my lifetim than most of my contemporaries because of seeing alcoholism up close. It ain't pretty, and there are few things more annoying than a drunk. Even more annoying than liberals who lie, and who love to be lied to. ;)

Thinking about what you've spent on academis gives me heartburn. Fortunately, my kids won't be elite, NE liberal arts college material.

It's gonna be Boov BA/BS and pumping gas next to @IPukeOregonGrellow for my spawn.
    I don't have the heart to tell him I pump hypothetical gas and own one of those fancy poodle hybrids.
  • Options
    EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 3,992
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    No Husky, Duck, Cuog, etc season tickets and/or $500K donations to said universities

Creep. Can you please keep the vitriol at the tug?

I will other wise interpret your refusal to mean:

- you are nowhere near being a centrist (as you have claimed);

- you like to be lied to by the right (which is more likely to happen than your example); or

- the promise of a politic free zone was (close my eyes) another lie by a conservative.

I am trying my best, except in the case where someone brings cross-over (from another) bored.

• Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,860
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Little or no student loan debt
    I check a lot of those boxes. Bill leads a simple life. Too many bitches have drained my bank account. At least the last one didn't though.
  • Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,182
    edited March 2021
    Can't even get the wife to spend, honestly. An awful lot of Scottish ancestry between us. We check a lot of the boxes.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Don't waste money on luxury baubles
    EwaDawg said:

- you like to be lied to by the right (which is more likely to happen than your example); or

- the promise of a politic free zone was (close my eyes) another lie by a conservative.

I am trying my best, except in the case where someone brings cross-over (from another) bored.

• Options
    EwaDawg said:

Trust me. It's not a sincere use of the quote. I'll leave it at that.
  • Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    No car payments / own a vehicle for 10 + years
    We have a fondness for expensive vacations