Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

“We taxed it all”

GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Standard Supporter
#ScoDucks

I thought Oregon was serious about football culture.

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,442
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Another Black Eye for Oregon
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter

Another Black Eye for Oregon

Long history of racist policies in that state.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,100
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

#ScoDucks

I thought Oregon was serious about football culture.
    Jimmy Lake needs to text this link to Tuimoloau
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,279
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited March 2021
    So $3 chuck becomes $5 buck chuck? Let’s be honest, alcoholics and underaged kids buy the cheap stuff anyway. This bill won’t help that. All it does is absolutely destroy the local wineries and breweries. It will also give rise to the at home brewer, which will destroy pretty much all retail sales of microbrews.
  • Options
    Seriously, I'm not a fan of additional taxation, but if we had a tax that specifically went to building low income state/city housing developments, I'd be down for that. As the cost of apartments has led to the huge homeless population we are currently dealing with.
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    Standard Supporter

Seriously, I'm not a fan of additional taxation, but if we had a tax that specifically went to building low income state/city housing developments, I'd be down for that. As the cost of apartments has led to the huge homeless population we are currently dealing with.

That's really not what's driving homelessness but the homeless industrial complex would like to make you think that it is.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    SFGbob said:

That's really not what's driving homelessness but the homeless industrial complex would like to make you think that it is.
    Mental health, drug and alcohol addiction also plays a part. However, that doesn't explain why Oregon has higher homeless rates per capita than other states. Oregon doesn't have a bigger drug problem than them.
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,516
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited March 2021

SFGbob said:

Mental health, drug and alcohol addiction also plays a part. However, that doesn't explain why Oregon has higher homeless rates per capita than other states. Oregon doesn't have a bigger drug problem than them.
    Oregon, colorado, and California babysit the nation’s homeless because they have laxer penalties, laws, and better services. Drifters migrate there accordingly. Most of the homeless people in Colorado are from Texas and Oklahoma.

Until it’s tackled at a national level (never) nothing is going to change
  • Options
    ntxduck said:

SFGbob said:

Oregon, colorado, and California babysit the nation’s homeless because they have laxer penalties, laws, and better services. Drifters migrate there accordingly. Most of the homeless people in Colorado are from Texas and Oklahoma.

Didn't the federal government rule against Idaho in the homeless lawsuit?
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

ntxduck said:

SFGbob said:

Didn't the federal government rule against Idaho in the homeless lawsuit?
    9th Circuit did.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

SFGbob said:

Think if your own personal situation. Back when I was a renter, if the rent would have gotten so high that I couldn't afford it I wouldn't have ended up homeless. I would have moved or taken on a room mate. Most people that are homeless are in that condition because of the reasons you listed. High rents aren't the driving force.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,511
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited March 2021
    Reading the tea leaves of what the owner of Ecliptic said about this, it's most likely going to be devastating for the all but the biggest craft breweries in Oregon.

The defense of this is laughably stupid. Basically the state government finally caught on that craft beer and wine is now a fruitful industry in Oregon (and one of the state's identities) and has claimed a right to an intolerable percentage of it.

Binge drinking/addiction funding as an excuse too?

lol.

SCoooooo00000
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Think if your own personal situation. Back when I was a renter, if the rent would have gotten so high that I couldn't afford it I wouldn't have ended up homeless. I would have moved or taken on a room mate. Most people that are homeless are in that condition because of the reasons you listed. High rents aren't the driving force.
    It is I suspect almost 100% driven by mental illness/addiction and having burned through family/friend support services.

I have a friend who was in private practice, making a killing and living in Laurelhurst. Developed a drinking problem after losing a parent, fucked around lost his marriage, etc. Disbarred. He was very close to being on the streets. His liver was going to blow up before that happened in all probability, but he had a cast iron liver like my father, homelessness was on the horizon for him because he had burned out all of those personal support systems. It was a trip to Harborview (or 2 or 3 or 4) that finally scared him into rehab. and he's doing ok now. Not great. He can't practice law and like I said lost everything, but he's sober.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    haie said:

Reading the tea leaves of what the owner of Ecliptic said about this, it's most likely going to be devastating for the all but the biggest craft breweries in Oregon.

The defense of this is laughably stupid. Basically the state government finally caught on that craft beer and wine is now a fruitful industry in Oregon (and one of the state's identities) and has claimed a right to an intolerable percentage of it.

Binge drinking/addiction funding as an excuse too?

lol.

SCoooooo00000

I've always found the "vice" taxes to be so personally fucking offensive. As if anyone on this planet lives with no vice. Fuck outta here.

Like the soda tax. Fuck. Yeah, we know sugar is bad and makes us fat. We also know red meat isn't good for you either. Is there a special tax in line for that next? Too much of anything isn't good for you.

It's a particularly pernicious and sneaky way to load up on taxing people.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,527
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    The only thing decent to come out of Oregon is its beer industry and the government wants to destroy it. Hilarious.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,527
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

The costs for public housing to be built per unit is insane, upwards of $400k per unit, and you have to pay for ongoing maintenance over the long-term to avoid public housing slums. Public housing is a complete disaster and has never worked.

Costs of rent have zero to do with homelessness. It's drug addiction and mental health. Seattle Times had a story a couple years back with survey info from homeless populations and 90% of the said they were homeless due to addiction or mental health.