Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Let’s Be Crystal Clear

13»

Comments

• Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,570
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Let it fucking play out. Christ.

I get concerns and recruiting failures but I'm not going to dismiss a 3-1 division winning coach until he puts in a classic Pete 7-6 flaccid lose-to-Arizona-State type of season first.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,042
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    haie said:

I get concerns and recruiting failures but I'm not going to dismiss a 3-1 division winning coach until he puts in a classic Pete 7-6 flaccid lose-to-Arizona-State type of season first.

I tend to agree.
  • Options
    SourcesSources Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,817
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    haie said:

Barely beat the Beav at home and should have lost to Utah. Yes, 3-1 is 3-1, but let's not ignore the red flags like going down 3 touchdowns each of their last 2 games
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    haie said:

I will admit that 2019's campaign and Covid FS ball has left me at a personal nadir for Husky Football enthusiasms (there's been some other since 1993, but this is right up there). Sure, there seem to be some concerns with recruiting, but I'm tired of the cult of TBS right now and DRGAF. When I see us land a 4 start kid, I think to myself he'll probably suck anyhow end end up the transfer portal; and that some 3 star kid will end up being all conference and get drafted on Day 1 or 2. So far as the coaching goes, can we, at least let Jimmy go 4-5 in conference before we fire his ass? I mean for fuck's sake, we no real sample pool of games to judge the guy as HC off of.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

haie said:

I will admit that 2019's campaign and Covid FS ball has left me at a personal nadir for Husky Football enthusiasms (there's been some other since 1993, but this is right up there). Sure, there seem to be some concerns with recruiting, but I'm tired of the cult of TBS right now and DRGAF. When I see us land a 4 start kid, I think to myself he'll probably suck anyhow end end up the transfer portal; and that some 3 star kid will end up being all conference and get drafted on Day 1 or 2. So far as the coaching goes, can we, at least let Jimmy go 4-5 in conference before we fire his ass? I mean for fuck's sake, we no real sample pool of games to judge the guy as HC off of.
    Let’s just say that if you were an AD ... this is arguably the nightmare scenario what is going on right now
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,643
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

haie said:

Perspective yella. I'm real discouraged right now about UW. The direction looks really bad, and an ugly 3-1 against horrible competition, while not damning, wasn't enough to convince me that the onfield product is measurably better than the off field.

I'm not firing anyone though. I'm just an internet coach and analyst. Lake gets a couple of full seasons, I think. I'm getting more confident that it's all going to shit and he'll be fired by 2023.

Whatever blowhard shit I spout about it here will be forgotten if he proves me wrong...at least I'll forget it and pretend I was right all along.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

haie said:

Let’s just say that if you were an AD ... this is arguably the nightmare scenario what is going on right now
    A nightmare scenario was one of the most celebrated HC's of the past 20 years, underachieving and then getting burned out at UW.

I can't formulate an informed opinion of Jimmy Lake w/o seeing, at least, 12 games of REAL fucking football with fans in the stands.

All we're dealing with right now is hypotheticals. I recall a time when EVERYONE here fucking loved Jimmy Lake. Now he's a failed HC after a 4 game season.
  • Options
    insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited March 2021

Tequilla said:

haie said:

A nightmare scenario was one of the most celebrated HC's of the past 20 years, underachieving and then getting burned out at UW.

I can't formulate an informed opinion of Jimmy Lake w/o seeing, at least, 12 games of REAL fucking football with fans in the stands.

All we're dealing with right now is hypotheticals. I recall a time when EVERYONE here fucking loved Jimmy Lake. Now he's a failed HC after a 4 game season.
    The Jimmy backlash is primarily do to off the field performance although the team's on field performance wasn't exactly encouraging either outside of 3 quarters of beating up on the worse team in the conference. The uninspired external hires (Donovan, Brown), lazy internal promotions (Cato, Gregory, Rowan), and the mind boggling promotion of Justin Glenn are all major red flags. Of course this is HH so the biggest issue most fans have is the limp dick recruiting and letting Cristobal punk him and steal his lunch money. I suspect they offered Jones just to fuck with Jimmy to show everyone they can but without any intention of actually accepting his commitment. After one calendar year there isn't much to be encouraged about with Jimmy's tenure so far. The only hope at this point is the team plays up to its talent level and rolls through the conference this fall.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited March 2021

Tequilla said:

haie said:

The Jimmy backlash is primarily do to off the field performance although the team's on field performance wasn't exactly encouraging either outside of 3 quarters of beating up on the worse team in the conference. The uninspired external hires (Donovan, Brown), lazy internal promotions (Cato, Gregory, Rowan), and the mind boggling promotion of Justin Glenn are all major red flags. Of course this is HH so the biggest issue most fans have is the limp dick recruiting and letting Cristobal punk him and steal his lunch money. I suspect they offered Jones just to fuck with Jimmy to show everyone they can but without any intention of actually accepting his commitment. After one calendar year there isn't much to be encouraged about with Jimmy's tenure so far. The only hope at this point is the team plays up to its talent level and rolls through the conference this fall.
    On the field winning trumps everything else. There's a lot of talent on this team in '21 and we got Oregon at home w/o a NFL Offensive ROTY at QB. Winning the PAC is achievable in year 1.5 for Jimmy.

Iron Law says he'll be mediocre to shitty. I don't need all the lost off season natty shit to know that. But he still gets his change to prove it on the field or not. Them's the rules.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

haie said:

You’re right with Pete and that’s fairly bad ... it goes to show why it’s so important to manage key person risk well and for leaders to mitigate that situation with contingency plans

The big thing that bothers me in hindsight is that it seems pretty clear that Pete kept everything close to the vest with how he was feeling. As a result it effectively blindsided Jen (given that we know that she doesn’t do a good job of being forward looking). As a result there was the panic to hire Jimmy.

Simply put, it’s really hard to look at Jimmy at this point and not come to the conclusion that his “brand” outside of UW wasn’t what people thought it was early in 2020. Obviously lots to consider on that but also fair to say Jimmy had never had to illustrate what he’d do as a head coach ... instead he was gifted the job.

It’s my opinion, but you can’t really convince me that K leaving was just because he was ready for a new challenge. The logical reasons aren’t the $$$ ... it’s that there was some kind of internal power struggle on the D and/or tK’s reality that Jimmy frankly isn’t good enough to win at a high level (and who has better insights on that than K?) ...

And that’s why I’m saying this is such a bad spot ... 3-1 and winning the North is something Jimmy can point to and say to any naysayer that he knows what he’s doing. He’s almost assuredly going to have a strong roster next year with all the experience coming back. You know Jimmy’s going to leverage that for a raise (he’s paid the same as BC’s HC for example) or listen to other opportunities. The trending with recruiting and staff hires/backfills would suggest that the future is bearish.

Now let’s say you extend and give Jimmy a raise and that contract and eventual buyout of things go south looks terribly shitty. Don’t buy out the contract fast enough and maybe you get back down to 2003 Gilby, 2006/2007 Ty, or mediocre Sark levels with the reputation taking probably another 5 years after that to rebuild.

On the other hand, you don’t extend Jimmy, he bolts ASAP, and you become a tough job to hire for as coaches point to a lack of commitment (and that’s on top of recruiting implications).

The above paints you into a corner where Jimmy basically has to be successful with his process and strategy. Either that or he jumps before the relationship goes sour.

That all assumes 2021 is a successful year ... Jimmy has all the leverage with a 1 or 2 loss season. But if he throws out a 8-5 type season ... while the hire looks like shit ... you’re likely not committing additional years/raise and can feel a little more confident laying there foundation for the next coach.

If there’s a takeaway it’s that the way I see it is that with Jimmy I feel like we’re betting on a 4 outer or worse from a poker standpoint. Too many outcomes don’t come out in a positive manner and the worst outcomes could be devastating. Nothing about this situation feels good.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,720
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I feel better about Jimmy already
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,235
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Good to know that it’s cool to say that women can’t be real sports fans but are only good for making chips and dip but tranny softball is over the line.

If this post is aimed toward me, I never said it was cool to say that about women.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,570
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

haie said:

My biggest problem with it is how much of a pass Pete got for at least 1/3 of his seasons here.

2014 some guys didn't like the staff. That's not an excuse to barely beat eastern and go 8-6 and lose to Oklahoma State in a bowl game.

2015 is a bigger indictment on Pete than 2019. You have the core of your playoff roster plus an NFL linebacker in his senior year and another reliable and good pass rusher in college. Zero fucking excuse to lose to Boise, Oregon, Cal, Utah, and especially Arizona State who you fucking shredded in the first half and then melted down against.

Pete has recruited well but the direction has been a lot of soft finesse players and schemes on offense resulting in transfers and instability on that side of the ball which were still trying to fix. He might have been worse on offense than Leach ever was on defense, which is saying something.

Maybe Jimmy's problem right now is he's trying to overcorrect the soft Pete stuff from just a year ago.