Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

America's Cup

LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,510
5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
Swaye's Wigwam
Watching on NBSSN NBC's off sport channel.

Not sure if anyone cares but I love the America's Cup - also a great book on it and how the NY Yacht club changed the rules all the time to ensure the US winning.

Anyway the one I be watching is Italy vs UK

Comments

• doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Are these the yachts that sail up to 60 knots?
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Multiple America's Cup winners, including, I believe, the first carbon fiber boat, were built and launched out of Anacortes. It's a big deal there. I work with a lot of huge America's Cup fans.
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,510
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2021
    I haven't watched the America's Cup for a few years and the design on the boats is amazing.
    The speeds they are getting is mid to high 30 knots. Knots convert to MPH by multiplying by 1.151 (had to look it up) and top speed in 50 knots.

Edit: note the Airbus sponsorship on the US boat
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,716
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    There was a sweet spot a few decades back where a young ESPN needed programming and the Aussies had won the America's Cup thus getting interest in America to get it back. There was some great racing
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

There was a sweet spot a few decades back where a young ESPN needed programming and the Aussies had won the America's Cup thus getting interest in America to get it back. There was some great racing

We used to watch Dennis Conner racing off Point Loma with binoculars in early 90s.

IFL sail boat racing. It's one of the few things I'll miss about Seattle- i.e., Duck Dodge beer can regatta on Tuesday night.