Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

HCH Academy Awards - Best Picture 2004?

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,961
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam

HCH Academy Awards - Best Picture 2004? 28 votes

Million Dollar Baby
7%
DerekJohnsonchuck 2 votes
Crash
0%
Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind
14%
haieNEsnake12Neighbor29721to392831weretaken 4 votes
Downfall
10%
biak1Doog_de_JourYellowSnow 3 votes
Sideways
14%
Mad_SonDooglesBad_MotherDuckerJoeEDangerously 4 votes
Hotel Rwanda
3%
AtomicDawg 1 vote
@Passion
0%
Napoleon Dynamite
32%
SwayeBennyBeaverYouKnowItdncalumni94LaocoönBleachedAnusDawgalopeciadawgStLouisDawg 9 votes
The Aviator
3%
Fishpo31 1 vote
F.O Row Peter Puffer, you left off....
14%
TequillaGrundleStiltzkinhuskyhooliganDonLemonParty 4 votes

Comments

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Downfall
    Downfall rather easily which is saying something since there are some terrific films this year. But I can no think of a more spot on portrayal of a historical figure than Bruno Ganz as Hitler.

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,443
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,528
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Napoleon Dynamite

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Downfall

It's a really good movie.
    Napoleon/Passion/Sideways

Primer is quite good for a micro budget mind fuck.

I'm very partial to Napoleon and Sideways. Napoleon was filmed just north of the Utah border and is basically every hick, Mormon town I played in HS hoops.

My realtor grew up in Santa Barbara and used to wait on Fess Parker in the restaurant she worked at. I love Miles chugging from the wine bucket at Fess Parker's winery.
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,256
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    The Aviator
    Sideways for me because it came out right after we did the central California wine-tasting tour on our honeymoon. I really liked The Aviator, watch it when I see it is on...Uncle Rico for the bronze...
  • Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,084
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

• Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,315
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I never got into Napoleon Dynamite like most people. I think, for me, it's like Fargo: regional quirkiness just isn't enough. For comedy alone, I'd take Team America, Life Aquatic, Anchorman, and Dodgeball over it. All of those are movies I'd happily sit and watch tonight even though I've seen each multiple time.

Pussy take of the day: I've seen 50 First Dates more than any movie on this list. Top-three rom-com for me.

Lot of people hated Crash, I liked it a lot. Collateral is also a technically gifted movie (Michael Mann, 360 degree shutter) that's a great watch.

If you haven't seen Primer, watch it and then read about what the hell you just watched, then watch it again. Amazing movie considering the whole budget was $6000, it was shot on Hi-8 camcorders, and Shane Carruth wrote, directed, scored, and starred in the movie. His 2013 followup Upstream Color holds a special place in my heart, as it was shot with hacked Panasonic GH2s, my favorite camera I've ever owned.

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,629
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Million Dollar Baby
    I haven't seen half of these.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

I never got into Napoleon Dynamite like most people. I think, for me, it's like Fargo: regional quirkiness just isn't enough. For comedy alone, I'd take Team America, Life Aquatic, Anchorman, and Dodgeball over it. All of those are movies I'd happily sit and watch tonight even though I've seen each multiple time.

Pussy take of the day: I've seen 50 First Dates more than any movie on this list. Top-three rom-com for me.

Lot of people hated Crash, I liked it a lot. Collateral is also a technically gifted movie (Michael Mann, 360 degree shutter) that's a great watch.

If you haven't seen Primer, watch it and then read about what the hell you just watched, then watch it again. Amazing movie considering the whole budget was $6000, it was shot on Hi-8 camcorders, and Shane Carruth wrote, directed, scored, and starred in the movie. His 2013 followup Upstream Color holds a special place in my heart, as it was shot with hacked Panasonic GH2s, my favorite camera I've ever owned.

@TheChart is funny.

I didn't catch Collateral in the year, great film. For the most part, better than Heat—Collateral is tighter—excepting the the scene that makes Heat amazing. I enjoy 50 First Dates too, though there's some problematic questions of consent.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,064
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Napoleon Dynamite

I love 50 first dates because it doesn't even seem like a romcom. Her brother is fucking hysterical. That was a well cast movie.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,315
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

@YellowSnow when you get to 2006 make sure Idiocracy is on it.

Idiocracy: Best first five minutes of any movie ever. The rest of the movie? Yeah, it happened... It's not bad, but it still feels like the greatest premise ever sacrificed on the altar of low budget and cheap laughs (even if some of the cheap laughs are great). I think it's a good movie that suffers from almost impossible to realize sky high potential.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Downfall

The comedies you mention are all great. My confirmation bias is strong with Napoleon because I lived the regional quirkiness. I literally spent a year of my life doing the Kip voice. I will have to leave @GrundleStiltzkin a message to confirm.