Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

How many years till he can replace Donovan?

2»

Comments

• insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    edited February 2021
    doogville said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

It’d be a shame if there were like actual data points out there that suggests that JonDon ain’t as bad as many of you think he is

You're right but also the sample set isn't a big one. People will adjust. But you're right he wasn't bad.
    Sure ... jury is obviously still out.

But everything about JonDon is reacting to 12 months ago at this point ...

The “best” arguments that I’ve seen really are more of an indictment on the defense than the offense
    Please explain how the fact his offense managed 3 total points over sixty first half minutes against the two decent teams we? played is an indictment on the defense?
    It's a diversion. Stupid one too. Donovan's offense has been shit more than it has been good so far.

I see potential. I saw fast receivers running open. That was a change for the better. I saw average RBs putting up decent numbers in spite of being predictably slammed into the middle of the line for long stretches of game. I dont think I'm dooging to say that there are signs the offense could work.

There have been more signs that it doesn't work with Donovan calling the plays. Not on a whole game basis. I dont understand why that's hard for some to recognize...or maybe just to accept. He just needs to call a better game from the first possession on.
    A legit oc constantly has wide open receivers.

When Mike norvell was our oc our mediocre tight end had like 800 yards because our receivers were garbage but he schemed open the only guy who could run a route.

That's a bullshit excuse.
    We haven't had a legit OC in many years. That's the point. Saying he has receivers running open was faint praise, not an excuse.
    Still to this day don't understand the Hamden hire. Pete got who he wanted -- pulled him back from the Falcons. Could have hired almost anyone. Wanted Bush, and he just sucked. Currently coaching wide receivers at Mizzou.

I wonder what would have been different had Pete gone out and used his rep & our ability to pay to hire a top flight OC. Would Pete still have retired?
    There was speculation that Phil Longo who was at Ole Miss at the time was a candidate. At one point he started following most of the UW coaches. I think in the end his air raid system would have been too much of a departure from Pete's system so he we went with the safe choice instead. Longo is now at UNC and his offense has been killing it in the ACC.
  • Miley_CyrusMiley_Cyrus Member Posts: 808
    edited February 2021
    How can you possibly watch UW’s offense from last year and think JohnDon was doing a great job???

I’ve never seen so many HB dives into an 8 man box.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825

Classic Tequilla.

I’m right, nobody could disagree with me, and no I won’t take the time to tell you why.

@haie did a pretty good job of saying my point ... which I’ve said multiple times here and on Twitter

I didn’t really feel like going into a TL, DR analysis on the subject at this point
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825

How can you possibly watch UW’s offense from last year and think JohnDon was doing a great job???

This is a very fair criticism of JonDon and last year’s offense
  • FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,744
    Stanford 1H:
    27 plays for 126 yards (4.66 ypp)
    2H:
    30 for 245 yards (8.17 ypp)

Utah 1H:
    29 for 127 (4.38 ypp)
    35 for 233 (6.66 ypp)

When he treated each possession as precious and each play as an opportunity to gain maximum yardage the offense was good.

When he tried to protect his qb and play it safe we sucked.

If we get more of the desperate and aggressive offense next year with a more experienced qb or the freshman phenom then great.

If we get more pussy footing around because Donovan fundamentally misunderstands the game of football in 2020 then not great.
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,718 Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

This is a very fair criticism of JonDon and last year’s offense
    Wonder how much of it was JonDon and not Jimmy "run the damn ball" Lake.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,950 Swaye's Wigwam
    doogville said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

It’d be a shame if there were like actual data points out there that suggests that JonDon ain’t as bad as many of you think he is

You're right but also the sample set isn't a big one. People will adjust. But you're right he wasn't bad.

The “best” arguments that I’ve seen really are more of an indictment on the defense than the offense
    Please explain how the fact his offense managed 3 total points over sixty first half minutes against the two decent teams we? played is an indictment on the defense?
    It's a diversion. Stupid one too. Donovan's offense has been shit more than it has been good so far.

I see potential. I saw fast receivers running open. That was a change for the better. I saw average RBs putting up decent numbers in spite of being predictably slammed into the middle of the line for long stretches of game. I dont think I'm dooging to say that there are signs the offense could work.

There have been more signs that it doesn't work with Donovan calling the plays. Not on a whole game basis. I dont understand why that's hard for some to recognize...or maybe just to accept. He just needs to call a better game from the first possession on.
    A legit oc constantly has wide open receivers.

When Mike norvell was our oc our mediocre tight end had like 800 yards because our receivers were garbage but he schemed open the only guy who could run a route.

That's a bullshit excuse.
    We haven't had a legit OC in many years. That's the point. Saying he has receivers running open was faint praise, not an excuse.
    Still to this day don't understand the Hamden hire. Pete got who he wanted -- pulled him back from the Falcons. Could have hired almost anyone. Wanted Bush, and he just sucked. Currently coaching wide receivers at Mizzou.

I wonder what would have been different had Pete gone out and used his rep & our ability to pay to hire a top flight OC. Would Pete still have retired?
    I think Hamdan sucks no matter what. He was no babushka that's for sure.

Still, the problem wasn't really the OC. It was the offense itself, which Pete's OCs didn't get to choose. Classic illustration of the blame falling squarely on the shoulders of the head man.

So I guess my answer is that hiring a better OC wouldn't have helped unless he was allowed to bring his own offense.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Don’t ask questions you don’t want answers to
    I didn't
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,950 Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Don’t ask questions you don’t want answers to
    I didn't
    You can't handle the truth!

You don't want to see teq go all Jessup. You just don't.