Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,490 Swaye's Wigwam
    Dont even try arguing with these fucking idiots anymore. Ive given up.

Gregory sucks for producing, but Huff is cool because he recruits underperforming blue chips
  • Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,717
    Don't care about Gregory being DC. We looked like shit last year with Kwat, so what's the difference.

To me, this latest hiring cycle just shows how little juice Jimmy has right now. For some reason Sark was bringing in hot assistants and recruiters from outside the program when he wanted to.

Jimmy has attracted zero established coaches from outside the program. Zero established recruiters.

For a school like UW you should be able to get guys who have proven something in P5 football.
  • LB_33LB_33 Member Posts: 323
    Gerg is not a bad coach. He obviously can get guys to the league (how many of those 6 were recruited by Bob is up for debate). The issue is that Bob fucking Gregory is a pair of New Balances. Yes they're shoes, but no one gives a fuck about New Balance. When the program needed any spark, James Lake decided to go with the DSW of coaching hires. When you needed a spark, you got a Toyota Corolla with 143,000 miles. He better be a fucking home run DC because he sure as shit ain't pulling his weight in recruiting which means if he struggles he's the equivalent of a hemorrhoid.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    Sark’s recruits
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,956 Founders Club

Half of those LBs were OLBs and not in BG's position group. The ILBs who were drafted were Azeem, Keishawn, and BBK. So only 1 player BG recruited has gotten drafted.
    In fairness I didn't look up which of the 6 were inside vs outside.
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,163

Half of those LBs were OLBs and not in BG's position group. The ILBs who were drafted were Azeem, Keishawn, and BBK. So only 1 player BG recruited has gotten drafted.
    So we have Shaq, Kikaha, Feeney, Victor, Bierria, and BBK. Bob solidly gets credit for the last one. And he didn't recruit Bierria or Victor, but they developed under his watch so I'll give to them to him too. Feeney? I don't recall where exactly he lined up, but I want to say he was in Choate's group. Shaq and Kikaha? Not even close.

But 2014-18 aren't even the fucking problem. Our LB unit was good to great during those years. The massive dropoff in 2019 and 2020 were inexcusable. And they were telegraphed years in advance with complete whiffs in recruiting. Couple that with an abortion of a special teams unit, and it's not hard to see why people think Bob sucks.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,926 Swaye's Wigwam

Wasting your breath. Not on Yella, but others. The case against Bob is a bit too nuanced for some, apparently.

He might be a good DC though.
  • HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,593
    Gregory stepping into where Kawasaki was adds 2 years (Gregory is 57 and Kawasaki is 55) but Rip Rowan is only 29 and Malloe is what, 45 or 46?

All in all, the Defensive staff lost a 55 year old coach and gained a 29 year old coach. I just hope the new energy leads to more recruiting juice in the front 7.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    Bob’s cardinal sin is that there were a couple of lean years in recruiting that were back to back and compounded

Reality is that the depth in the ILB room right now is pretty good ... we have options
  • dtddtd Member Posts: 4,502 Standard Supporter
    "developing talent" has got to be one the single fakest things in all of sports. #1: recruit pay for it. #2: don't fuck it up. You taught a huge, quick twitch, smart, hard working dude who only played 1 year of sportsball to be elite? Shocking!
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,926 Swaye's Wigwam

Tequilla said:

Bob’s cardinal sin is that there were a couple of lean years in recruiting that were back to back and compounded

Reality is that the depth in the ILB room right now is pretty good ... we have options

We have one inside linebacker that we know is good. The rest could suck for all we know. Not impressed with sirmon and everyone else gave up 4 TD’s in one quarter vs Arizona’s starters. That’s all we know.
    I also have high expectations. I like the depth better now than at any time in memory. You're totally correct though. They haven't shown shit so far. The short season probably robbed us of seeing some good play out of them to go along with quite a bit more bad play.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    edited February 2021
    Eddie walked on here guys. Let’s not pretend bob knew wtf he was doing
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825

Tequilla said:

We have one inside linebacker that we know is good. The rest could suck for all we know. Not impressed with sirmon and everyone else gave up 4 TD’s in one quarter vs Arizona’s starters. That’s all we know.
    I'll just put it this way ... one of the big things that was talked about often back in the days when we gave enough of a shit about UW football to try to podcast was how it's not about the names but about getting enough talented people in a room and letting them figure out who is going to play (cream rising to the top).

There's talented guys in that room right now ...

I wouldn't put a ton of stock in 2020 results for young backups because they didn't get the development time during the Spring and likely the Fall that is really needed to dramatically get better. I suspect that we'll see that happen in the 2021 offseason. Also important to remember that Calvert had a significant injury so the loss of the 2020 rep building period definitely didn't help him.

As crazy as it sounds this is one of the better areas of our defensive roster in terms of depth going forward.