Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

PM to Jimmy Lake

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,606 Founders Club
Really? Did you even interview anybody?

Comments

• MotrboatnsobMotrboatnsob Member Posts: 424
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    I for one, can’t wait till we’re all raving about the Jimmy Lake coaching tree.
  • LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,792
    TO BE FAIR, you don’t need to lose sleep if you are expected to play safeties 15-20 yards deep and can just blame a lack of quality at ILB year after year.
  • theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,820 Founders Club

BG basically quit at Cal. He cited the grind and pressure of being a DC at a power 5 school. He subsequently landed in the MWC with a guy in Pete that stressed work/life balance. If there is one thing that I think Lake has kept that he should have scrapped it was that. These guys are paid $300,000-$9,000,000 to burn the midnight oil. This job is a grind, this job has massive pressure and to clock out at 5 or 6pm and go home to your family while your competitors are working until the wee hours of the night is ridiculous. With Pete that could slide, he was a brand unto himself. With JL keeping Pete's philosophy, but without Pete's presence the results have been painfully obvious. The falling behind, and losing ground to the competition has been steep and drastic. UW doesn't out work their competition, UW has no brand, UW has no social media presence, UW has gone cheaper and cheaper in hiring new assistants(except JonDong whom they pay more than UO pays Morehead WTF?!?!). How do I know that work/life balance is still a part of the JL coaching philosophy? Because Bob has failed upwards. He wouldn't still be here if Lake had changed that. He would have left, like he did at Cal. It's over. They had a window and allowed it to close. I'm done with this team for a little while. I'll check out some boobs in the Wam, see what poles are up (tee, hee) in the record shop, see where to find a good lawyer on the finance bored and peruse the maximum carnage in the Tug but I'm just burned out with this team. Jimmy will get all the Tim he needs to get his guys in there, win 8 games a year with a Huard at QB and in year seven, go 6-7 while losing to a TUFF Army team in the Armed Forces Bowl. History repeats itself. As it was in my teens it will be again in my 40's. Ugh.

"Everyone wants to make it some kind of back-room decision, like [Bob Gregory] was forced out but it wasn’t that at all. I was totally surprised when he walked into my office and said he wanted to leave.
    He wanted to change his life. At one time, he wanted to be a head coach and he thought being a coordinator would be a stepping stone, but I think he’s decided he wants to spend more time with his family. And to be honest, I think the criticism he got last year might have played into it."

That's Tedford in 2010. Bob burned out at the age of 40. Criticism at Cal of all places was apparently exhausting. But now that he's 50 I'm sure he's tanned, rested, and ready.

We're so fucked.
    Thank you. I couldn’t remember where I read it. That was exactly what I was referencing. So I guess if the fan base just rags on him enough he will quit? Let’s get going fellas. I know no one wants to listen to KJR but they are the “flagship” station of UW. Call the station, at all hours, whatever topic they are speaking on and lambast the Gregory hiring. Send emails to Cohen. Get the message out enough and maybe Bob will just fade away and wander the earth like the guy in Kung Fu. Or not. Like I said. I’m done. But maybe some of you with @Passion will step up and get it done.

BG basically quit at Cal. He cited the grind and pressure of being a DC at a power 5 school. He subsequently landed in the MWC with a guy in Pete that stressed work/life balance. If there is one thing that I think Lake has kept that he should have scrapped it was that. These guys are paid $300,000-$9,000,000 to burn the midnight oil. This job is a grind, this job has massive pressure and to clock out at 5 or 6pm and go home to your family while your competitors are working until the wee hours of the night is ridiculous. With Pete that could slide, he was a brand unto himself. With JL keeping Pete's philosophy, but without Pete's presence the results have been painfully obvious. The falling behind, and losing ground to the competition has been steep and drastic. UW doesn't out work their competition, UW has no brand, UW has no social media presence, UW has gone cheaper and cheaper in hiring new assistants(except JonDong whom they pay more than UO pays Morehead WTF?!?!). How do I know that work/life balance is still a part of the JL coaching philosophy? Because Bob has failed upwards. He wouldn't still be here if Lake had changed that. He would have left, like he did at Cal. It's over. They had a window and allowed it to close. I'm done with this team for a little while. I'll check out some boobs in the Wam, see what poles are up (tee, hee) in the record shop, see where to find a good lawyer on the finance bored and peruse the maximum carnage in the Tug but I'm just burned out with this team. Jimmy will get all the Tim he needs to get his guys in there, win 8 games a year with a Huard at QB and in year seven, go 6-7 while losing to a TUFF Army team in the Armed Forces Bowl. History repeats itself. As it was in my teens it will be again in my 40's. Ugh.

"Everyone wants to make it some kind of back-room decision, like [Bob Gregory] was forced out but it wasn’t that at all. I was totally surprised when he walked into my office and said he wanted to leave.
    He wanted to change his life. At one time, he wanted to be a head coach and he thought being a coordinator would be a stepping stone, but I think he’s decided he wants to spend more time with his family. And to be honest, I think the criticism he got last year might have played into it."

That's Tedford in 2010. Bob burned out at the age of 40. Criticism at Cal of all places was apparently exhausting. But now that he's 50 I'm sure he's tanned, rested, and ready.

We're so fucked.
    Thank you. I couldn’t remember where I read it. That was exactly what I was referencing. So I guess if the fan base just rags on him enough he will quit? Let’s get going fellas. I know no one wants to listen to KJR but they are the “flagship” station of UW. Call the station, at all hours, whatever topic they are speaking on and lambast the Gregory hiring. Send emails to Cohen. Get the message out enough and maybe Bob will just fade away and wander the earth like the guy in Kung Fu. Or not. Like I said. I’m done. But maybe some of you with @Passion will step up and get it done.
    Not exactly. I think it means if we rag on him, he will feel the stress, shut down his effort and wait for a Promotion so he doesn’t have to work as hard looking forward.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,782 Founders Club
    And yet you guys still pine for the head coach who quit after 4 years and ran out the string for 2 more
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,491 Standard Supporter

We're so fucked.
    Is Gregory really only 50?
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,224

We're so fucked.
    If he had young kids at age 40 I think it's a little hypercritical to blame him for wanting to spend more time with his family at that point. Maybe it's a warning sign, but not one I would base my argument on.
    UW shouldn’t have to pay for his inability to life plan effectively
  • alumni94alumni94 Member Posts: 4,858
    doogie said:

Right now it's one branch...
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,606 Founders Club

And yet you guys still pine for the head coach who quit after 4 years and ran out the string for 2 more

You guys?

I don't
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,224
    doogie said:

UW shouldn’t have to pay for his inability to life plan effectively

Does he have young kids now? Maybe I missed that part.
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,163

We're so fucked.
    If he had young kids at age 40 I think it's a little hypercritical to blame him for wanting to spend more time with his family at that point. Maybe it's a warning sign, but not one I would base my argument on.
    I have no idea what age his kids are. I do know that for better or worse (probably worse), only hyper-competitive psychopaths who abandon all sense of familial responsibility actually succeed at the highest levels of football. If Bob isn't up for that then he can join the 99.81% of us who live normal lives and spend time with our families. Save the DC role for a raging nut job who wants to win.
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member Posts: 8,671 Standard Supporter
    alumni94 said:

doogie said:

Right now it's one branch a sapling...