Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Stafford to Rams, Goff and picks to Lions

Comments

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,706
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,379
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Rams wanted Goff gone. Stafford has never won anything and is an “arm talent” type. A slightly better, less grumpy Jay Cutler.

Goff is roughly equal to Stafford. Giving up two first round picks on top of Goff is crazy. Lions fleeced them.

Stafford is much more of a talent than Goff. Put most QB's in Detroit and they aren't going to win. Watson sucked in Houston this past year if you judge based on record.

Credit to LA for wanting to win and paying to do it. The first round picks they gave up are going to be very low 1st rounders. Teams reading for Watson are giving up a high-end 1st round pick.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Rams wanted Goff gone. Stafford has never won anything and is an “arm talent” type. A slightly better, less grumpy Jay Cutler.

Goff is roughly equal to Stafford. Giving up two first round picks on top of Goff is crazy. Lions fleeced them.

I think Stafford is a bigger step up than you. Goff is bad, maybe 25ish best QB and that might be overrating him. Stafford is mid tier, 12-15 range. He's going to open up that offense a lot for McVeigh.

It's definitely steep and I think the Rams paid too much but they're going to be a much better team in 2021.
    Founders Club
    This move improves the Rams and they now have a two-year window to be great.
    Founders Club
    I think Stafford is also $12 million cheaper per year.

I think Stafford is also $12 million cheaper per year.

Sort of. The Rams would have owed Goff $34.75 million this year. Now they owe Goff $22.2 million and Stafford $20 million. So they're spending another $7.5 million this year against the cap thanks to the deal.

They do save like $12 million next year verses keeping Goff and paying him.

It's basically a wash.

They can restructure Stafford's contract and move a lot of that money from this year's cap to next year if they want (or even into 23 and beyond if they extend him). But of course they could have done that with Goff as well.

Stafford is much more of a talent than Goff. Put most QB's in Detroit and they aren't going to win. Watson sucked in Houston this past year if you judge based on record.

Credit to LA for wanting to win and paying to do it. The first round picks they gave up are going to be very low 1st rounders. Teams reading for Watson are giving up a high-end 1st round pick.
    Stafford has been in the league a long time. Yeah, it’s Detroit, but if a QB plays 12 years for a team, you have to win some playoff games. He’s nothing special.
    He doesn't have to be special to be a solid upgrade from Goff.

Obviously as a Seahawks fan I hope you are correct.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Stafford is pretty talented ... the Lions are a real fucked up organization.

I'd equate Stafford to Carson Palmer ... both talented dudes with crappy franchises that later in their career will jump up big time with a change in scenery. Don't be shocked if Stafford and some MVP discussion shows up for the first 1-2 months of the season next year.

Goff's biggest problem is that he's just not that tough (physically or mentally). If everything is working right for him he's very good. As soon as shit goes sideways he's a complete dear in the headlights kind of guy. Stafford on the other hand shows up and plays weekly regardless of what's bothering him and his toughness is fairly obvious.

With the Rams cap situation, the extra picks for the Lions taking on Goff is 2 fold because not only did they need to shed Goff's contract, but they needed to make sure that they weren't bringing on big contracts with rookies that they didn't have room for. The fact that the picks are in future drafts just pushes down the immediate value anyway.
    Founders Club

Stafford has been in the league a long time. Yeah, it’s Detroit, but if a QB plays 12 years for a team, you have to win some playoff games. He’s nothing special.
    I would compare the Lions to the Clippers. The Clippers were underachieving losers for years regardless of their talent because of the organization and ownership above them. They still kinda are, but you can tell that the franchise is in a better place to succeed simply because Sterling was forced to sell. I think the Lions are the same sort of situation.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,686
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Stafford is an underwear legend
    Founders Club

Stafford is an underwear legend

I get what you're saying here. 74 - 90 - 1 record in Detroit and only 1 pro bowl selection. Maybe he's just a good stats on a bad team guy. But it's the Lions. He has one year to prove it in LA and shake that label. ATBS, there's no way LA isn't a better team next season.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2021
    Tequilla said:

I'd equate Stafford to Carson Palmer ... both talented dudes with crappy franchises that later in their career will jump up big time with a change in scenery. Don't be shocked if Stafford and some MVP discussion shows up for the first 1-2 months of the season next year.

Goff's biggest problem is that he's just not that tough (physically or mentally). If everything is working right for him he's very good. As soon as shit goes sideways he's a complete dear in the headlights kind of guy. Stafford on the other hand shows up and plays weekly regardless of what's bothering him and his toughness is fairly obvious.

With the Rams cap situation, the extra picks for the Lions taking on Goff is 2 fold because not only did they need to shed Goff's contract, but they needed to make sure that they weren't bringing on big contracts with rookies that they didn't have room for. The fact that the picks are in future drafts just pushes down the immediate value anyway.

I have a hard time saying someone that played with a broken thumb isn’t physically tough. Goff isn’t great, but he’s a solid starter.

Rookie contracts aren’t very expensive either, especially when those picks fall in the late first round.

I had an argument/discussion discussion about how teams pay big money for QB’s that aren’t needle movers.

Stafford was somebody I said I wouldn’t pay big money too. Matt Ryan was another and he’s been better and more successful than Stafford. Kirk Cousins is another. It’s status quo to pay a QB big money when the time comes if he isn’t a disaster. I would argue it’s not really the optimal way to become a real contender and not just a 10-6 team, but 10-6 keeps coaches and gm’s around for a year or two longer.

The Rams wanted a new QB. They jumped the gun, talked themselves into, and settled for Stafford after being turned down for Rodgers. Now they are in a new marriage with another mid tier QB and gave up first rounders to go so.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,686
    Swaye's Wigwam
    With the draft picks Detroit could end up the winner here
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

There is always the possibility Goff gets better and plays at the level he did a few years ago too. If he does and one of the draft picks becomes a good starter, they have won the trade.

Stafford has to be markedly better and the Rams need to win a Super Bowl for the trade to be worth it.

I think McVay is a very good coach and knows QB’s, but Stafford is an old guard, arm talent QB that isn’t actually good.
    Founders Club

If the Rams have a big season in 2021, both teams could end up winners in the deal
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

I have a hard time saying someone that played with a broken thumb isn’t physically tough. Goff isn’t great, but he’s a solid starter.

Rookie contracts aren’t very expensive either, especially when those picks fall in the late first round.

I had an argument/discussion discussion about how teams pay big money for QB’s that aren’t needle movers.

Stafford was somebody I said I wouldn’t pay big money too. Matt Ryan was another and he’s been better and more successful than Stafford. Kirk Cousins is another. It’s status quo to pay a QB big money when the time comes if he isn’t a disaster. I would argue it’s not really the optimal way to become a real contender and not just a 10-6 team, but 10-6 keeps coaches and gm’s around for a year or two longer.

The Rams wanted a new QB. They jumped the gun, talked themselves into, and settled for Stafford after being turned down for Rodgers. Now they are in a new marriage with another mid tier QB and gave up first rounders to go so.
    Matt Ryan isn't a terrible comparison actually ... biggest difference between Stafford and Ryan is that the Falcons have typically had a better organization structure surrounding Ryan. That said, the last few years that organization has basically suffered the breakdown from blowing the Super Bowl and they desperately need an overall reset.

If Stafford gets the Rams back to the Super Bowl it's a successful trade for the Rams.

You talk about Goff being tough with a broken thumb ... Stafford played through a broken back this year. Stafford's ability to play through injuries and at a high level is well known.

As for rookie contracts ... you're not wrong. That said, with what the Rams cap situation looks like at the top of the roster makes every $$$ that they can save matter. Whether it's the right way to build a roster is a complete different discussion.
    Founders Club

This move improves the Rams and they now have a two-year window to be great.