Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Wall Street Walk for Perspective

pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,822
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
Founders Club
edited May 2022 in Tug Tavern

Comments

• Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited January 2021
    Awesome Twitter thread by Weiss should be required reading to stay in class
  • Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,204
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

I hate that he's right. But damn if I'm not going to keep tuning in to what has become the greatest spectator sport of the year.

As I said to my son, "I'll do exactly what I do in Vegas. Watch."
  • Options
    USMChawkUSMChawk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,796
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

I hate that he's right. But damn if I'm not going to keep tuning in to what has become the greatest spectator sport of the year.

He's right. But some average dipshit is going to sell and be worth a lot more than he would have been just working the rest of his life. So there's that.

Of course somebody pays. There's always the other side of the trade. Anybody buying GameStop now deserves what they get. I don't mean that in a judgy way. At this point, it's clear that it's stock price is well into another galaxy from the company's organic value. If you buy at that price, you deserve whatever you get, be it good or bad. You know you're gambling on nothingburger.
    Probably a good time to short the stock...
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,145
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    HHusky said:

By any chance... is your son's name Preston?
  • Options

HHusky said:

If this is a referent, I'm not hip enough to get it.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    HHusky said:

HHusky said:

If this is a referent, I'm not hip enough to get it.
    Maybe lurk a little longer, councilor (allegedly).
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited January 2021
    I also changed my mind a little about Weiss' tweet marathon.

His whole diversion into the advantages that big traders have (servers, etc.) has been known for years. So, yeah, ok. The more trading volume, the more they can take advantage of the tiniest changes in stock price. OK.

Did anybody anywhere say nobody on Wall St. was making money the last few weeks? If so, I missed it. The only thing that is really relevant is that a bunch of unaffiliated people on the internet drove up the price of stock of some nothing company and some, or a bunch of, IDK, hedge funds got caught with their pants down shorting the stock.

Does all that other stuff, where he ends each thing with "Populism", really have anything to do with the story? Again, nobody said retail guys were the only people making money.

That wasn't the story. The story is that they were, at the same time some funds got fucked by the uptick (understatement of the year) in the stock price, and then miraculously the guys who were benefitting got locked out.

That's the story. That's it. Nobody said Wall Street is over.
  • Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Hi Ho Silver, Away!

Seems our little Robinhood Friends making some coin and fucking up some Wall Street Blue bloods quarterly bonuses, IS the problem

Bullion Dealers Face Sudden Shortage As Reddit-Raiders Take Aim At Silver

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/reddit-preparing-unleash-worlds-biggest-short-squeeze-silver
  • Options
    doogie said:

Hi Ho Silver, Away!

Seems our little Robinhood Friends making some coin and fucking up some Wall Street Blue bloods quarterly bonuses, IS the problem

Bullion Dealers Face Sudden Shortage As Reddit-Raiders Take Aim At Silver

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/reddit-preparing-unleash-worlds-biggest-short-squeeze-silver

Reddit Bros > Hunt Bros?
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    edited February 2021

I also changed my mind a little about Weiss' tweet marathon.

His whole diversion into the advantages that big traders have (servers, etc.) has been known for years. So, yeah, ok. The more trading volume, the more they can take advantage of the tiniest changes in stock price. OK.

Did anybody anywhere say nobody on Wall St. was making money the last few weeks? If so, I missed it. The only thing that is really relevant is that a bunch of unaffiliated people on the internet drove up the price of stock of some nothing company and some, or a bunch of, IDK, hedge funds got caught with their pants down shorting the stock.

Does all that other stuff, where he ends each thing with "Populism", really have anything to do with the story? Again, nobody said retail guys were the only people making money.

That wasn't the story. The story is that they were, at the same time some funds got fucked by the uptick (understatement of the year) in the stock price, and then miraculously the guys who were benefitting got locked out.

That's the story. That's it. Nobody said Wall Street is over.

Yup.

When hedge funds lose $10+ billion that money doesn’t magically disappear. It goes somewhere. And it would have been a lot more if the system hadn’t been fucked with. Did other hedge funds get some? Probably, but not many were long GME. A bunch of average Joes got that money.

A bunch more average Joes are going to lose money as the stock crashes back down. Not sure a bunch of hedge funds will feel comfortable shorting it to drive it down faster and capture some of that money.

• Options

All I know is if I read one more stupid article about day trader populists sticking it to the man I’m gonna barf.

Yella, you are afforded a great deal of slack and benefit of the doubt because of your rowboat quals and HCH status as a member of the Philosopher King Entourage.

That said, you need bring it when you're on this forum. @Doog_de_Jour still has not responded to my latest thread; but that is because she is formulating a response with intellectual heft, and formulating such thoughts is an art, and art does not come easy, so says Norman McLean.

I will expect moar from your next try.
  • Options
    Founders Club

All I know is if I read one more stupid article about day trader populists sticking it to the man I’m gonna barf.

Yella, you are afforded a great deal of slack and benefit of the doubt because of your rowboat quals and HCH status as a member of the Philosopher King Entourage.

That said, you need bring it when you're on this forum. @Doog_de_Jour still has not responded to my latest thread; but that is because she is formulating a response with intellectual heft, and formulating such thoughts is an art, and art does not come easy, so says Norman McLean.

A man's gotta know his limitations, Creep. I don't consider myself to be very knowledgeable as it relates to investing and Wall Street in general. My wife and I are in a good spot net worth wise, but I need to start a thread about financial planner advice fairly soon.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Richest_Man_in_Babylon

YWFMS

• Options
    edited February 2021

A man's gotta know his limitations, Creep. I don't consider myself to be very knowledgeable as it relates to investing and Wall Street in general. My wife and I are in a good spot net worth wise, but I need to start a thread about financial planner advice fairly soon.
    That's a great topic. Start it. I mean, 1% (minimum) AUM fee. Is it worth it for professional wealth management?