Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

What’s it going to take?

Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Standard Supporter
edited May 2022 in Tug Tavern
To finally crash the economy? A massive global pandemic, murder hornets, Sark being hired at Texas, OBK’s 5G, the 2020 election...and yet it seems like many are still living it up like Creep.

What am I missing? I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop...and I’m not saying there aren’t a lot of people hurting, don’t twist, it just seems like things should be, well, worse.

Comments

• Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,221
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited January 2021
    This makes me think Eeyore doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground, and this country could do a lot of things without "cratering the economy".

As soon as I claim that as fact, though, the wheels will come off the bus and we'll go off a cliff and die in flames.

I don't remember a case study of any global pandemic in Econ class, though, so I don't know what the expectation is.

• Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,516
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    dnc said:

The whole thing has been chincredibly strange economically.

I still think this will fall apart but the when seems a big mystery. I wood have bet the farm the economy wood have already crashed by now.

It fell of the cliff dec 2018 and has been propped up by the fed since then. Funny the folks screaming market manipulation!! Now were stone silent when it was done solely to prop up a failing presidents re-election campaign.

But now it’s turned into a third rail. No president/fed chair is going to do what is needed (turn the presses off/raise rates) because the immediate market reaction will tank their chances of re-election. Even though it would be in the best interest of the country, long-term.
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    edited January 2021
    ntxduck said:

dnc said:

The whole thing has been chincredibly strange economically.

I still think this will fall apart but the when seems a big mystery. I wood have bet the farm the economy wood have already crashed by now.

It fell of the cliff dec 2018 and has been propped up by the fed since then. Funny the folks screaming market manipulation!! Now were stone silent when it was done solely to prop up a failing presidents re-election campaign.

But now it’s turned into a third rail. No president/fed chair is going to do what is needed (turn the presses off/raise rates) because the immediate market reaction will tank their chances of re-election. Even though it would be in the best interest of the country, long-term.
    Economy didn't fall off the cliff...the stock market pulled back when it looked like the Fed was going to let their balance sheet come down. They won't make that mistake again...

The simple fact that good economic news is bad for the stock market whereas bad news (i.e. more Fed $$$) is good for the stock market describes the current situation...

• Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,535
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    We artificially half shut down our economy. Different situation than a normal recession.

Some industries have skyrocketed when others have, again, been artificially killed.

There's still a great demand for some of those industries (restaurant, public house, gym).
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,604
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    There are tons of chicks just out of college that are desperate when the economy crashes. I'm looking forward to it.
  • Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072

To finally crash the economy? A massive global pandemic, murder hornets, Sark being hired at Texas, OBK’s 5G, the 2020 election...and yet it seems like many are still living it up like Creep.

What am I missing? I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop...and I’m not saying there aren’t a lot of people hurting, don’t twist, it just seems like things should be, well, worse.

Print, Print, Print!

As long as we* keep doing that, Everything* will be just fine
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,554
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

There are tons of chicks just out of college that are desperate when the economy crashes. I'm looking forward to it.

Sounds like you were born for the COVID-era and have your reads down.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    In my small economy the outlook couldn’t be any rosier for 2021. High demand, and inquiries for even higher demand in Q2 through the end of the year.

Only problem is the supply side is gonna fuck up the momentum.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    haie said:

We artificially half shut down our economy. Different situation than a normal recession.

Some industries have skyrocketed when others have, again, been artificially killed.

There's still a great demand for some of those industries (restaurant, public house, gym).

It'll be interesting how much of the industries that are, by their nature, vulnerable to pandemic shutdown we'll see return.

Who in their right mind will invest capital in a restaurant? There will be great demand, but who will want to do it?
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

I think a recession is coming whether the official numbers say it or not. Unemployment is going the wrong way the last month and we are only a week into new economic policies...small business sentiment is in the crapper. I’ve been sitting in bank and consulting forecasts for the last couple weeks though and the consensus from them is that everything should be rosy by middle of the year so what do I know. The line that made me laugh the most was that one group said the Fed will starting talking at the end of this year about raising rates at the end of 2022. Suckers.

That said, the rest of the world is a mess which helps prop us up. Europe is a complete mess...same with Japan. Same with all of South America. China, for as much as people sing their praises, isn’t open to outside companies and all of its growth is tied up into building useless infrastructure as much as they try to claim otherwise. So in that environment the only place to put your money is still the US...helps to cover up the many warts we have here.

It's my go-to line: where else you gonna go?
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,545
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    We? have kicked the can down the road to June now

https://patch.com/california/temecula/s/hell5/california-extends-eviction-moratorium-through-june

With the state's eviction moratorium set to expire at the end of January, California lawmakers passed two bills extending it through June.

An eviction moratorium extension and $2.6 billion in rental relief overwhelmingly passed both chambers of California's legislature Thursday amid questions from legislators over the efficacy of the state's rollout plan and the equity of the money's distribution among small, rural areas.

The state's eviction moratorium will be extended until June 30 if signed by Gov. Gavin Newsom, who supported the legislation during last-minute negotiations among legislative leaders, tenant associations and the powerful California Apartment Association.

California's families need protections NOW from eviction.Today we're announcing an agreement to extend eviction moratorium through 6/30.We're ensuring that up to $2.6 billion in renter aid is administered quickly & equitably. #CaliforniaForAll https://t.co/g0xR3SYasv
    — Office of the Governor of California (@CAgovernor) January 25, 2021

The Temecula Pea Patch is my source

Speaking of Husky Stadium.........
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    My reading comprehension might not be the best, since it’s Friday and I’m skimming through these poasts in between seeing clients, but not a lot of answers to the OP’s question. We know what’s propping things up, but what’s the piece in this economic game of Jenga that will cause things to finally collapse?

Seems like one (or any combination) of these things might be it:

- As Race alluded to, COVID relief running out
    - COVID vaccine not working/distributed as fast as we? hoped
    - Loan or credit delinquencies finally get to be too much
    - More Robinhood/GameStop-esque type bullshit causes investors to lose their damn minds
    - The specter of inflation that has been discussed in other threads
    - As HoustonHusky said, unemployment numbers getting worse

Again, maybe I’m stressing out for nothing, but it’s seems weird that after the huge dip in March of 2020, the year closed with this:

S&P 500 gained 15.6%.
    Nasdaq gained 43.7%.
    Dow Jones gained 6.6%.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,716
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

I think a recession is coming whether the official numbers say it or not. Unemployment is going the wrong way the last month and we are only a week into new economic policies...small business sentiment is in the crapper. I’ve been sitting in bank and consulting forecasts for the last couple weeks though and the consensus from them is that everything should be rosy by middle of the year so what do I know. The line that made me laugh the most was that one group said the Fed will starting talking at the end of this year about raising rates at the end of 2022. Suckers.

That said, the rest of the world is a mess which helps prop us up. Europe is a complete mess...same with Japan. Same with all of South America. China, for as much as people sing their praises, isn’t open to outside companies and all of its growth is tied up into building useless infrastructure as much as they try to claim otherwise. So in that environment the only place to put your money is still the US...helps to cover up the many warts we have here.

Recession is coming? We’ve been in a recession since February 2020.

The stock market is not the economy.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,604
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    edited January 2021

It's my go-to line: where else you gonna go?
    somewhere not inherently evil. a place not founded on a history of racism and genocide. a place with no white people.
  • Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,205
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
  • Options
    NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

Recession is coming? We’ve been in a recession since February 2020.

The stock market is not the economy.
    Technically not in a recession since Q4 saw a 6% growth in real GDP and Q3 was a whopping 33% in real GDP. That’s two straight quarters of growth. Not a recession.

• Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,535
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2021
    @creepycoug

I would say larger gyms and corporate breweries (multiple locations, brew their own beer, distribution, godly covered outdoor areas like Heathen in downtown Van) will be just fine, and replicating them toward the end of this (whenever the fuck that is) is a decent investment.

Too drunk to quote you properly, so I apologise (since it's your fucking bored)
  • Options
    AEBAEB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,960
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    The Fed giveth
    The Fed taketh