Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

"It's the Water"

Comments

• Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,803
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Now owned by Pabst, the company started in Tumwater in 1896 by Leopold Friederich Schmidt, a German immigrant. The affordable lager grew into a popular regional name during the 20th century.

The beer was brewed in Tumwater until 2003, when production moved to California under Pabst.

Been dead a long time

Went to school with the grandkids. The original Schmidt house is by Tumwater Falls Park between the old and new brewery

Teachers had summer jobs there. Union.

Good times

I was there!

My brother got married there about 5 years ago. I loved the nostalgia of it.

Driving by the old brewery that looked like a bombed-out WWII warehouse. Kind of eerie.

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,442
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    On the three hot days a year we rode our bikes to the brewery for a tour. The chill room
  • Options
    JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,150
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Oly sold the couch on taste years ago.
  • Options
    alumni94alumni94 Member Posts: 4,849
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited January 2021
    The best part about visiting friends in that shithole called Pullman was Oly Dark on tap.
  • Options
    Purple_PillsPurple_Pills Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,819
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    So Oly insiders, who wants to spill the beans on the brand’s original demise?
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,803
    Founders Club

They started taking water from Capital Lake.

Probably.

Not.
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,256
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I came of age in the time of Vitamin R, but grew to like Oly...we learned that if you brought Rainier to parties, you had to watch it like a hawk, or it would be gone. So we started drinking Oly, because it wasn't considered "cool" (it was the beer of my mother, and grandpa), and no one would swipe it...Clint Eastwood weeps in seclusion...
  • Options
    Purple_PillsPurple_Pills Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,819
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    pawz said:

They started taking water from Capital Lake.

Probably.

Not.
    It involved the bathroom down by Capitol Lake...
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,527
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Sadly, Oly and Rainier stopped being Seattle beer a long time ago. We’re a hipster fag micro beer town now. All the tuff logging camp liberal brands are ded.

We?
  • Options
    alumni94alumni94 Member Posts: 4,849
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

Olympia was a very popular regional brand in the Pacific Northwest for half of a century.[2] It eventually expanded nationwide, repositioned as a low-price lager. During the 1970s, Olympia acquired Hamm's and Lone Star, and also produced Buckhorn Beer,[3] which had previously been a product of the Lone Star Brewing Company.[4] Until the mid-1970s, competitor Coors of Colorado had a limited 11-state distribution area; Washington and Montana were not added until 1976,[5][6] and Oregon did not approve sales of Coors in grocery stores until 1985.[7][8][9][10]

Between 1970 and 1980 Olympia faced flat revenues[11] among consolidating nationwide breweries and, in 1982, the Schmidt family, which owned and operated the brewery and company, elected to sell the company. Olympia was subsequently purchased by G. Heileman Brewing Company in 1983, which was purchased by Stroh Brewery Company in 1996. In 1999, Pabst bought most of the Stroh brands, including Olympia.[12]

As with many other regional breweries, ownership of Olympia eventually passed through several corporations including Pabst, Heileman, and Stroh's, until the brewery was eventually purchased by Miller Brewing Company. For a time, the Olympia brewery took over the brewing of other Pacific Northwest brands as their original breweries were closed one by one, including the Lucky Lager brewery in Vancouver, Washington, the Henry Weinhard's brewery in Portland, and even the brewery of its arch-rival, Rainier Beer, in Seattle. In 2002, SAB bought out Miller Brewing Co. SABMiller closed the Tumwater facility in mid-2003, citing the unprofitability of such a small brewery.[citation needed]

Too many lost memories in this post. Hamms, Schmidts, Rainier, etc, etc.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,442
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dflea said:

When I was a kid, whenever we flew back to Chicago to see my grandparents, granny Ruth would have Little Oly cans in the fridge so that my bro and I could have a beer with her when we got there. Little 7 oz cans that looked like a regular can in a kid's hand.

I'm sure things like this would be frowned upon today, but those people that frown can eat shit. Having a brew with your grandma? Priceless experiences. Those were good times!

Not only a beer with grandma but a Salem cig too!
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,221
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

dflea said:

When I was a kid, whenever we flew back to Chicago to see my grandparents, granny Ruth would have Little Oly cans in the fridge so that my bro and I could have a beer with her when we got there. Little 7 oz cans that looked like a regular can in a kid's hand.

I'm sure things like this would be frowned upon today, but those people that frown can eat shit. Having a brew with your grandma? Priceless experiences. Those were good times!

Not only a beer with grandma but a Salem cig too!
    Kool

That was her brand.

lol
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,961
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Olympia was a very popular regional brand in the Pacific Northwest for half of a century.[2] It eventually expanded nationwide, repositioned as a low-price lager. During the 1970s, Olympia acquired Hamm's and Lone Star, and also produced Buckhorn Beer,[3] which had previously been a product of the Lone Star Brewing Company.[4] Until the mid-1970s, competitor Coors of Colorado had a limited 11-state distribution area; Washington and Montana were not added until 1976,[5][6] and Oregon did not approve sales of Coors in grocery stores until 1985.[7][8][9][10]

Between 1970 and 1980 Olympia faced flat revenues[11] among consolidating nationwide breweries and, in 1982, the Schmidt family, which owned and operated the brewery and company, elected to sell the company. Olympia was subsequently purchased by G. Heileman Brewing Company in 1983, which was purchased by Stroh Brewery Company in 1996. In 1999, Pabst bought most of the Stroh brands, including Olympia.[12]

As with many other regional breweries, ownership of Olympia eventually passed through several corporations including Pabst, Heileman, and Stroh's, until the brewery was eventually purchased by Miller Brewing Company. For a time, the Olympia brewery took over the brewing of other Pacific Northwest brands as their original breweries were closed one by one, including the Lucky Lager brewery in Vancouver, Washington, the Henry Weinhard's brewery in Portland, and even the brewery of its arch-rival, Rainier Beer, in Seattle. In 2002, SAB bought out Miller Brewing Co. SABMiller closed the Tumwater facility in mid-2003, citing the unprofitability of such a small brewery.[citation needed]

I've actually had Buckhorn many moons ago.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,511
    Swaye's Wigwam

Sadly, Oly and Rainier stopped being Seattle beer a long time ago. We’re a hipster fag micro beer town now. All the tuff logging camp liberal brands are ded.

Some of those micro breweries will make lighter stuff that pays homage to those beers. They are really light, around 3%, and usually have some hipster name attached to them, but still. Cascadia Brothers in Vancouver has one, Crazy 88 named after the kill bill scene, that reminds me of Rainier.