Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

RIP Hank Aaron

DJDuckDJDuck Member Posts: 5,970
edited January 2021 in Tug Tavern

Comments

• PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,526 Standard Supporter
    edited January 2021

People forget Hammerin' Hank took another person of color deep on his record breaking long ball.

And shoutout to the Atlanta @Swayes baseball team.

• BendintheriverBendintheriver Member Posts: 5,837 Standard Supporter
    I got to meet him at the airport long ago. It was late and the place was empty and he was by himself. My boss and I had a great conversation with him. A super nice guy. I am happy to see he lived a good long and happy life.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,473 Founders Club
    I know Hank had 755

I don't know the Bonds number without Google
  • BendintheriverBendintheriver Member Posts: 5,837 Standard Supporter
    Honestly I don't know the new number because steroids made me lose interest.
  • SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,942

That and baseball just isn't the sporting attraction it once was in this country. Now tell me who the current heavyweight boxing champion is?
  • ramenduckramenduck Member Posts: 734
    SFGbob said:

Is there a person over 50 who didn't know the number of HRs Ruth had hit? Now tell me what the current HR record is and how many 10 year old school kids today do you think know that number. We all knew what the number 714 meant back in the early 70s as did every school kid since the 1930s

Great post. I’m a hair younger, but I had the same relationship with 755 throughout the 80s/90s/00s. Rolled my eyes when Bonds broke it. I was hopeful for Jr.

No one got close who wasn’t later exposed as a roidhead. Knee jerk compression changes in the ball to combat sagging ratings also didn’t help. Baseball destroyed a record that should be revered.
  • NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
    edited January 2021
    SFGbob said:

That and baseball just isn't the sporting attraction it once was in this country. Now tell me who the current heavyweight boxing champion is?
    Tyson Fury, and he’s as good a champion there has been since the younger Kiltschko was in his prime in the early 2010s.
  • SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,942

SFGbob said:

Tyson Fury, and he’s as good a champion there has been since the younger Kiltschko was in his prime in the early 2010s.
    Well there is always the freak who is the exception to the rule. Now how many 10 year old's do you think know that?
  • LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member Posts: 13,298
    I’ve got a doctor friend, they had a 39ypo patient get a massive stroke 15 min after the vaccine.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

SFGbob said:

Klitscho was dominant but nobody is going to support a wooden Eastern European over a tough talking American.

Fighting is about rivalries. That’s what has been lacking.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,473 Founders Club
    I grew up with boxing and big fights and never got into MMA but isn't MMA far more popular among the younger generations?

The heavyweight title fight was always a big event up through Tyson. Even middleweights like Hagler, Hearns, and Sugar Ray

It just seems HARD to get traction these days.

SFGbob said:

Klitscho was dominant but nobody is going to support a wooden Eastern European over a tough talking American.

Fighting is about rivalries. That’s what has been lacking.
    I’ll probably get Joshua-Fury on PPV if that ever happens. Would be the biggest fight in years for heavyweights.
  • georgiaduckgeorgiaduck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,921 Swaye's Wigwam

I got to meet him at the airport long ago. It was late and the place was empty and he was by himself. My boss and I had a great conversation with him. A super nice guy. I am happy to see he lived a good long and happy life.

On my daughter's 5th birthday we went to see the Braves on Opening day against the Cubbies. Crowd cheered when Mr Aaron was announced to throw out the first pitch. Daughter asked if he was new to the team. C'mon man she was five.

On my daughter's 5th birthday we went to see the Braves on Opening day against the Cubbies. Crowd cheered when Mr Aaron was announced to throw out the first pitch. Daughter asked if he was new to the team. C'mon man she was five.
    That’s cool. I was on a MLB road trip with some friends and saw him throw out the first pitch in the old Milwaukee County Stadium in the mid-1990s. That place was a dump but great tailgating for a baseball crowd.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,526 Standard Supporter

I grew up with boxing and big fights and never got into MMA but isn't MMA far more popular among the younger generations?

The heavyweight title fight was always a big event up through Tyson. Even middleweights like Hagler, Hearns, and Sugar Ray

It just seems HARD to get traction these days.

Boxing was the motherfucking shit in the 60's/70's/80's. Olympic boxing was AMAZING. Tacoma's own Davey Armstrong USA! USA! USA!

Wide World Of Sports with the recorded versions of Ali fights. The Throbber just sprung a boner (TMI). Good times...