Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Ducks hire Tim Deruyter as Defensive Coordinator

13»

Comments

• Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,277
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    dnc said:

DJDuck said:

5 things to know about Oregon Ducks defensive coordinator Tim DeRuyter

“ He runs a base 3-4 scheme

The biggest change for Oregon under DeRuyter will be along the defensive line, though it’s not going to be drastic. He runs a base 3-4 scheme, though Cameron Goode played more of a rush-end role similar to Mase Funa as the stud end in Oregon’s existing scheme.

What will be most different is how the Ducks utilize their interior defensive linemen, which there’s an abundance of. DeRuyter also uses four-down sets, though, so this isn’t going to be a massive change at all.

Tim DeRuyter
    Texas A&M interim head coach Tim DeRuyter reacts to a penalty called against his team during the first quarter of the Car Care Bowl NCAA college football game against Northwestern Saturday, Dec. 31, 2011, in Houston. (AP Photo/David J. Phillip)AP

His defenses have ranked in the top 25 in sacks six times in the last 15 years

Getting pressure on the quarterback is a pillar of any effective defense, and DeRuyter’s groups have done that quite well historically. His defenses have ranked in the top 25 nationally in sacks per game in 2006 at Nevada, 2008 at Air Force, 2009 at Texas A&M -- which led the country -- 2012-13 at Fresno State and 2019 at California.

This is an area of significant concern for Oregon, which had just 12 sacks in seven games in 2020, its lowest rate since 2004.

Tim DeRuyter
    Then-Fresno State coach Tim DeRuyter looks at the scoreboard as his team trails Utah State during the second half of an NCAA college football game in Fresno, Calif., Saturday, Oct. 10, 2015. (AP Photo/Gary Kazanjian)AP

He’s coached All-Americans Evan Weaver, Phillip Thomas and Von Miller

DeRuyter has coached inside and outside linebackers, defensive backs and safeties as a position coach and had star pupils in All-Americans Evan Weaver, Phillip Thomas and Von Miller at Cal, Fresno State and Texas A&M, respectively.

Tim DeRuyter
    Fresno State head coach Tim DeRuyter reacts after his team made a defensive stop against Air Force in the first half of an NCAA college football game Saturday, Oct. 24, 2015, at Air Force Academy, Colo. (AP Photo/David Zalubowski)AP

He’s a West coast guy, familiar with the Pac-12 and Oregon’s staff

DeRuyter is from Long Beach and went to St. John Bosco High School in Bellflower, California. He’s spent the last nine seasons in the state of California and majority of his career in the Mountain and Pacific time zones.

He worked with Oregon inside linebackers coach Ken Wilson and running backs coach Jim Mastro at Nevada in 2005-06.”

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2021/01/5-things-to-know-about-oregon-ducks-defensive-coordinator-tim-deruyter.html

Also, since when is there an abundance of interior DL at Oregon?
    That’s why they run a 4-3. If you have stud interior linemen you run a 3-4 because he’ll clog up blockers to allow the linebackers to roam free. But with the shitty talent at DL the Ducks need to go with a 4-3, so they can have bodies to help take the blocks one good DL would take.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

DJDuck said:

Oregon has some things to answer for.

This is so stupid.
    Very stupid, I agree, to let your predominantly African-American roster see the true colors. Good news is, plenty of time for the players to portal to more racially enlightened programs.
    I know you’re just being an asshole for fun, but making this about racism is about as soft as Pac12 football gets and why we? will always be a second-rate conference.

All the white coaches in the SEC have destroyed that conference because players don’t like it.
    I think there are a lot of reasons why the Pac 12 may always be a second rate conference. But I don't think Grumble will be one of those reasons.

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    dnc said:

DJDuck said:

dnc said:

DJDuck said:

I guess it depends on ones definition of “abundance”,I count 14 Defensive linemen including the 2021 recruiting class so far.

Interior DL?
    dnc said:

DJDuck said:

I guess it depends on ones definition of “abundance”,I count 14 Defensive linemen including the 2021 recruiting class so far.

Interior DL?
    dnc said:

DJDuck said:

Interior DL?
    Seven DT’s listed before completion of 2021 class.

That's a long way from 14
    7, or 50%, to be exact.
  • Options
    lawsandllawsandl Member Posts: 1,555
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    edited January 2021
    dnc said:

DJDuck said:

Interior DL?
    You still play with a NT and a DT in a 3-4. This bring down Funa and Faoliu.
  • Options
    lawsandllawsandl Member Posts: 1,555
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    edited January 2021
    Oregon will have:

Aumavae
    Dorlus
    Williams
    Poti
    Jones
    Ware-Hudson
    Afaese
    Shipley

Keanu Williams will be 9 and Mario said McNeill could end up inside as well. Jaylen Smith should end up inside on the DL as well.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

DJDuck said:

This is so stupid.
    Very stupid, I agree, to let your predominantly African-American roster see the true colors. Good news is, plenty of time for the players to portal to more racially enlightened programs.
    I know you’re just being an asshole for fun, but making this about racism is about as soft as Pac12 football gets and why we? will always be a second-rate conference.

All the white coaches in the SEC have destroyed that conference because players don’t like it.
    You and @DJDuck are the retard lovers this place needs.
  • Options
    NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

DJDuck said:

This is so stupid.

Sounds faggy, but you’re into it sooo...
  • Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,040
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    edited January 2021
    Low key great hire. Until he pulls an Avalos. If Oregon were seriously serious about foosball they would have given Kwat 3 mil a year. Hold his fucking kids hostage(I assume kwat has kiddos), COME TO OREGON.
  • Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,040
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

DJDuck said:

This is so stupid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv7jcciKB_s&ab_channel=LetterkennyProblems
    To be fair, @GrundleStiltzkin went off the deep end.