Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Ducks hire Tim Deruyter as Defensive Coordinator

DJDuckDJDuck Member Posts: 5,970
5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
edited January 2021 in Duck Refuge
EUGENE — “After a two-week search, Oregon found its new defensive coordinator from within the Pac-12 North.

The Ducks are hiring Cal co-defensive coordinator and outside linebackers coach Tim DeRuyter to lead its defense.

DeRuyter, a 31-year coaching veteran, has spent the last four seasons as Cal’s defensive coordinator and had previous stints as Fresno State’s head coach (2012-16) and defensive coordinator at Texas A&M (2010-11), Air Force (2007-09), Nevada (2005-06), Ohio (2002-04 and 1995-98) and Navy (1999-2001).

Football Scoop first reported the hiring of DeRuyter, who has overseen numerous dramatic statistical turnarounds throughout his career, including at Cal. The Golden Bears ranked 127th in scoring defense and 125th in total defense in 2016 and improved to 22nd in scoring in 2018 and 33rd in 2019, during which time All-American inside linebacker Evan Weaver led the nation in tackles.

Cal ranked third in the Pac-12 in total defense and 5th in scoring defense in 2020.

The highest-paid of Cal’s assistant coaches, DeRuyter earned $825,000 in total compensation in 2019-20, the latest year available.”

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2021/01/oregon-ducks-hiring-cals-tim-deruyter-as-defensive-coordinator.html

Comments

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    For the culture
  • DJDuckDJDuck Member Posts: 5,970
    edited January 2021
    Canzano: Oregon Ducks football getting exactly what it needs -- Tim DeRuyter

“ Super personable and smart guy by all accounts. Outstanding defensive coordinator with an attacking 3-4 scheme that gives offenses fits.

The college football recruiting factory operating out of the Hatfield-Dowlin Complex at the University of Oregon doesn’t miss often. I like the hire, if formalized. And I only bring up DeRuyter’s mixed head coaching experience to make a point -- some guys can really recruit, others can flat-out coach.

Nobody should be surprised that Oregon apparently turned its focus on DeRuyter when it needed to make a defensive coordinator hire. The guy has owned them.

DeRuyter tied Mario Cristobal offense in knots the last couple of seasons, limiting Oregon in two straight contests to 17 points a game.

That’s all the Ducks’ could muster head-to-head against DeRuyter, including one with Justin Herbert at quarterback. No other defensive coordinator on the schedule held UO to a more anemic output the last two seasons. Nobody else shut out Oregon twice in a half. It’s why hiring DeRuyter is especially smart, and frankly, why I won’t be surprised if the Ducks break the conference drought and seize a spot in the College Football Playoff inside the next couple of seasons.

That’s getting way ahead, though.

DeRuyter likes to bring pressure and is adept at disguising coverages. He has that good-guy reputation. Players, colleagues and media rave about him. But what I like best about this hire is how it nicely it fits with Cristobal’s operation right now.

Cristobal is still evolving as a head coach and game manager. He’s a gifted recruiter. His top-of-program messaging is no-nonsense. The Ducks operate with relentless energy. But there are glaring holes in the game management. Not the kinds of issues that cost you a Pac-12 title. But the sort of things that sometimes lose you a game you ought to win or keep it closer than it should be.

At Cal, DeRuyter was the 263rd highest-paid assistant in the country last season. His $400,000 in base salary ranked him the No. 36 assistant in the Pac-12. (His total compensation, including a $300,000 retention bonus, was $825,000). He’ll make more at Oregon and have a chance to win bigger. This wasn’t Cristobal’s most difficult recruitment, and frankly, works for DeRuyter in some other significant ways.

Oregon gets a great coach to pair with all that blue-chip talent. But DeRuyter gets a chance to absorb some of Cristobal’s head coaching strengths, particularly recruiting. If the guy ever wants to be a head coach again, this amounts to more than a payday move. It’s a bridge back to a head job someday, just like offensive coordinator Joe Moorhead.

This is a good hire for the Ducks. Probably the best one they could have made, given that it turns DeRuyter from foe to friend. No other candidate would have the blend of expertise and conference familiarity. Washington was also hunting for a defensive coordinator, and getting DeRuyter means the Ducks just beat them to the best gettable candidate on the West Coast.

I like that Cristobal hasn’t been afraid to bring in assistants with prior head coaching experience. First Moorhead, now DeRuyter. It smacks of confidence. I told Cristobal that after he hired Moorhead and he seemed confused by it. But I don’t think every sitting head coach in conference welcomes new ideas and values experience the way Cristobal does.

He likes to look outside the room for answers.

Cristobal did it with the hire of Avalos and again with Moorhead. Now, he’s done it with DeRuyter. That’s three straight key hires. Maybe the outside-in moves will rub some of Cristobal’s current staff the wrong way. But I suspect they recognize that what Oregon didn’t at all need right now is to take a step sideways. It had to step up. It didn’t need another great recruiter. It needed a coach.

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/john_canzano/2021/01/canzano-oregon-ducks-football-getting-exactly-what-it-needs-tim-deruyter.html
  • HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,161
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    I think it’s a good hire

Damnit
    edited January 2021
    5 things to know about Oregon Ducks defensive coordinator Tim DeRuyter

“ He runs a base 3-4 scheme

The biggest change for Oregon under DeRuyter will be along the defensive line, though it’s not going to be drastic. He runs a base 3-4 scheme, though Cameron Goode played more of a rush-end role similar to Mase Funa as the stud end in Oregon’s existing scheme.

What will be most different is how the Ducks utilize their interior defensive linemen, which there’s an abundance of. DeRuyter also uses four-down sets, though, so this isn’t going to be a massive change at all.

Tim DeRuyter
    Texas A&M interim head coach Tim DeRuyter reacts to a penalty called against his team during the first quarter of the Car Care Bowl NCAA college football game against Northwestern Saturday, Dec. 31, 2011, in Houston. (AP Photo/David J. Phillip)AP

His defenses have ranked in the top 25 in sacks six times in the last 15 years

Getting pressure on the quarterback is a pillar of any effective defense, and DeRuyter’s groups have done that quite well historically. His defenses have ranked in the top 25 nationally in sacks per game in 2006 at Nevada, 2008 at Air Force, 2009 at Texas A&M -- which led the country -- 2012-13 at Fresno State and 2019 at California.

This is an area of significant concern for Oregon, which had just 12 sacks in seven games in 2020, its lowest rate since 2004.

Tim DeRuyter
    Then-Fresno State coach Tim DeRuyter looks at the scoreboard as his team trails Utah State during the second half of an NCAA college football game in Fresno, Calif., Saturday, Oct. 10, 2015. (AP Photo/Gary Kazanjian)AP

He’s coached All-Americans Evan Weaver, Phillip Thomas and Von Miller

DeRuyter has coached inside and outside linebackers, defensive backs and safeties as a position coach and had star pupils in All-Americans Evan Weaver, Phillip Thomas and Von Miller at Cal, Fresno State and Texas A&M, respectively.

Tim DeRuyter
    Fresno State head coach Tim DeRuyter reacts after his team made a defensive stop against Air Force in the first half of an NCAA college football game Saturday, Oct. 24, 2015, at Air Force Academy, Colo. (AP Photo/David Zalubowski)AP

He’s a West coast guy, familiar with the Pac-12 and Oregon’s staff

DeRuyter is from Long Beach and went to St. John Bosco High School in Bellflower, California. He’s spent the last nine seasons in the state of California and majority of his career in the Mountain and Pacific time zones.

He worked with Oregon inside linebackers coach Ken Wilson and running backs coach Jim Mastro at Nevada in 2005-06.”

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2021/01/5-things-to-know-about-oregon-ducks-defensive-coordinator-tim-deruyter.html
    DJDuck said:

5 things to know about Oregon Ducks defensive coordinator Tim DeRuyter

“ He runs a base 3-4 scheme

The biggest change for Oregon under DeRuyter will be along the defensive line, though it’s not going to be drastic. He runs a base 3-4 scheme, though Cameron Goode played more of a rush-end role similar to Mase Funa as the stud end in Oregon’s existing scheme.

What will be most different is how the Ducks utilize their interior defensive linemen, which there’s an abundance of. DeRuyter also uses four-down sets, though, so this isn’t going to be a massive change at all.

Tim DeRuyter
    Texas A&M interim head coach Tim DeRuyter reacts to a penalty called against his team during the first quarter of the Car Care Bowl NCAA college football game against Northwestern Saturday, Dec. 31, 2011, in Houston. (AP Photo/David J. Phillip)AP

His defenses have ranked in the top 25 in sacks six times in the last 15 years

Getting pressure on the quarterback is a pillar of any effective defense, and DeRuyter’s groups have done that quite well historically. His defenses have ranked in the top 25 nationally in sacks per game in 2006 at Nevada, 2008 at Air Force, 2009 at Texas A&M -- which led the country -- 2012-13 at Fresno State and 2019 at California.

This is an area of significant concern for Oregon, which had just 12 sacks in seven games in 2020, its lowest rate since 2004.

Tim DeRuyter
    Then-Fresno State coach Tim DeRuyter looks at the scoreboard as his team trails Utah State during the second half of an NCAA college football game in Fresno, Calif., Saturday, Oct. 10, 2015. (AP Photo/Gary Kazanjian)AP

He’s coached All-Americans Evan Weaver, Phillip Thomas and Von Miller

DeRuyter has coached inside and outside linebackers, defensive backs and safeties as a position coach and had star pupils in All-Americans Evan Weaver, Phillip Thomas and Von Miller at Cal, Fresno State and Texas A&M, respectively.

Tim DeRuyter
    Fresno State head coach Tim DeRuyter reacts after his team made a defensive stop against Air Force in the first half of an NCAA college football game Saturday, Oct. 24, 2015, at Air Force Academy, Colo. (AP Photo/David Zalubowski)AP

He’s a West coast guy, familiar with the Pac-12 and Oregon’s staff

DeRuyter is from Long Beach and went to St. John Bosco High School in Bellflower, California. He’s spent the last nine seasons in the state of California and majority of his career in the Mountain and Pacific time zones.

He worked with Oregon inside linebackers coach Ken Wilson and running backs coach Jim Mastro at Nevada in 2005-06.”

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2021/01/5-things-to-know-about-oregon-ducks-defensive-coordinator-tim-deruyter.html

Also, since when is there an abundance of interior DL at Oregon?
    edited January 2021
    I guess it depends on ones definition of “abundance”,I count 14 Defensive linemen including the 2021 recruiting class so far.

He's FAT

I don’t know why this makes me laugh so much everytime
    DJDuck said:

I guess it depends on ones definition of “abundance”,I count 14 Defensive linemen including the 2021 recruiting class so far.

Interior DL?
    dnc said:

HuskyJW said:

I think it’s a good hire

Damnit

I agree.

They got the whight guy.

I prefer rhite

But I see what you did there....
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,717
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HuskyJW said:

He's FAT

I don’t know why this makes me laugh so much everytime
    You never know what is going to hit as a meme
  • NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

DJDuck said:

Oregon has some things to answer for.

Oregon has some things to answer for.

This is so stupid.
    Very stupid, I agree, to let your predominantly African-American roster see the true colors. Good news is, plenty of time for the players to portal to more racially enlightened programs.
    I know you’re just being an asshole for fun, but making this about racism is about as soft as Pac12 football gets and why we? will always be a second-rate conference.

All the white coaches in the SEC have destroyed that conference because players don’t like it.
    dnc said:

DJDuck said:

Interior DL?
    dnc said:

DJDuck said:

Interior DL?
    dnc said:

DJDuck said:

Interior DL?
    Seven DT’s listed before completion of 2021 class.

DJDuck said:

dnc said:

DJDuck said:

Interior DL?
    dnc said:

DJDuck said:

Interior DL?
    dnc said:

DJDuck said:

Interior DL?

That's a long way from 14
    edited January 2021
    dnc said:

DJDuck said:

dnc said:

DJDuck said:

Interior DL?
    dnc said:

DJDuck said:

Interior DL?
    dnc said:

DJDuck said:

Interior DL?

That's a long way from 14
    No I said 14 Defensive linemen which is Correct. You are just being a pussy. You reminded me “interior” linemen and I responded seven......big fucking deal. You seem to want to bitch like an old lady.

There is nothing wrong with anything I said. These kinds of stupid little pickyunish BS childish “gotcha“ type comments waste everyone’s time.