Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

5 SPD Officers Under Investigation For Participating In Trump Insurrection Coup D'etat

IceManLikeGervinIceManLikeGervin Member Posts: 331
5 Awesomes Name Dropper 5 Up Votes First Comment
edited January 2021 in Tug Tavern
KOMO News (click for full article) https://komonews.com/news/local/two-more-seattle-officers-under-investigation-for-being-in-washington-dc-on-day-of-siege

SEATTLE -- Five Seattle Police officers are now under investigation for possible involvement in the Jan. 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol, according the Office of Police Accountability.

Three officers "self-reported” this week that they were there, but all said they had nothing to do with the vandalism and violence that took place on the Capitol grounds, says OPA Director Andrew Myerberg.

“All three of them have denied engaging in any illegal activity, they said they were present in D.C. on the 6th at the demonstration, and they did not violate the law or cross barricades or go into the Capitol buildings," Myerberg said.

One of the officers self-reported to their chain of command and the other two self-reported to OPA their presence at the demonstration that precipitated the Capitol insurrection, says Myerberg.

OPA typically does not identify officers under investigation and Myerberg did not disclose any names to KOMO News.

None of the officers have been interviewed by OPA, including the original two that were identified by co-workers in photos posted on social media.

Regarding the first two officers, Myerberg said, “We are still having to assess the facts; we wanted to look at some video to see what we could identify first before bringing the officers in for an interview."

Following the revelation that three more officers were found to be at the DC demonstration, Chief Adrian Diaz said in a statement, “If OPA finds any evidence any officers were directly involved in the insurgence, they will be fired, and the information will be shared with federal officials.”

“I made it very clear when I assumed this position, that any violation of community trust or any action that threatens our ability to serve this city will be met with full accountability," Diaz said. “We cannot violate the same laws we are sworn to protect.”

Myberg said if the officers were exercising their First Amendment rights to demonstrate about whatever they deemed appropriate, "then I think that's pretty clearly protected under the First Amendment and can't be the basis for discipline."

He has now assigned an investigator to looking the actions of all five officers while they were in Washington, DC.

When asked if the Capitol perimeter was a literal line the officers should not have crossed, Myerberg said there are several factors for discipline recommendation.

“If they walk on the Capitol grounds that's a violation, if they engage in property damage, if they cross the barricade and they were directed not to cross by a law enforcement officer, if they entered the Capitol building -- I think all of those would be a violation," Myerberg said. “Some of them are laws, some of them are department policies.”

The three officers that self-reported their presence at the demonstration will remain on the job Diaz said. The other two that did not self-report have been suspended with pay.

“We cannot allow violent or intimidating direct action to become acceptable in our society,” Diaz said in his statement. “If any SPD employee participated directly in assaulting the Capitol, I will terminate them. This department DOES NOT believe in or support this type of behavior.

Comments