Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Caple’s Interview with K

TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
For those of you with Athletic subscriptions it’s a must read ...

It’s a sobering interview that will make you want to drink heavily ... probably best to lock up the bleach before reading

Comments

• bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 15,130
    edited January 2021
    Cliffs Notes?

The KJR interview was bad enough. They essentially treated it like a situation where a minor league player is moving up to the majors
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    Burn it all down
    Without ruining the read my takeaways ...

There was a lot of high level stuff that made it very clear that K wasn’t going to directly burn bridges on the way out ...

Moral of the story is K wants to compete at the highest of levels and fill in the blanks for the reasons why, but reading between the lines on a number of comments it would indicate that K doesn’t believe that can be done at UW
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,782 Founders Club
    Welcome to 30 years ago
  • BreadBread Member Posts: 4,015
    You mean I didn't have to listen to softy???
  • biak1biak1 Member Posts: 4,093
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,603 Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

Without ruining the read my takeaways ...

There was a lot of high level stuff that made it very clear that K wasn’t going to directly burn bridges on the way out ...

Moral of the story is K wants to compete at the highest of levels and fill in the blanks for the reasons why, but reading between the lines on a number of comments it would indicate that K doesn’t believe that can be done at UW

But you're the one reading between the lines so I'm going to go ahead and assume he doesn't think that.

4 years ago he was in the playoffs. He gave up 17 points. He had NFL talent.

Any good coach and recruiters should look at this conference as a lubricated slide to competing nationally. And UW has the resources.

Go hit the TCU boreds.
  • EmotermanEmoterman Member Posts: 3,333
    What appealed to you about the job?

I’ve been here seven years. It’s been seven awesome years. The idea of just building a defense again, doing something new, I think it was just time for a change. I can’t put it into words. It’s just like a feel, you know? You love where you’re at, you love the guys you’re working with and all that, but you just get an itch to do something different, and this opportunity arose.

What do you think of where Washington is at as a program?

We’ve got good guys. We’ve got good coaches. Obviously, they’ve got to get better. That comes with young guys here and there, and reps, and time. They’re going to make that next step, for sure, offense and defense. I think they’re in a good spot. A lot of dudes coming back. I know the guys are all about it. And the culture’s good. When the culture’s good, you can do good things.
  • Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,723
    haie said:

Emoterman said:

What appealed to you about the job?

I’ve been here seven years. It’s been seven awesome years. The idea of just building a defense again, doing something new, I think it was just time for a change. I can’t put it into words. It’s just like a feel, you know? You love where you’re at, you love the guys you’re working with and all that, but you just get an itch to do something different, and this opportunity arose.

What do you think of where Washington is at as a program?

We’ve got good guys. We’ve got good coaches. Obviously, they’ve got to get better. That comes with young guys here and there, and reps, and time. They’re going to make that next step, for sure, offense and defense. I think they’re in a good spot. A lot of dudes coming back. I know the guys are all about it. And the culture’s good. When the culture’s good, you can do good things.

Haie translation: I'm bored, get my shit pushed in by Stanford, Cal, and Oregon. It's all stale, I need a new environment to grow professionally.

Beyond that he might be pissed about King Co Covid stuff, etc.
    Yeah, he's not envisioning Lake building an empire, lol.

But imagine skipping to Sark, who fucking barfed his way out of two jobs and is a shit program manager.

All that matters now is media and attention. I'll be rooting against him.
  • LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member Posts: 13,314
    This is as good as it has been in 30 years

Welcome to 30 years ago

In fairness Babs ran circles around Jen
  • animateanimate Member Posts: 4,236
    - pac12 is a disaster
    - can't compete in visibility nor resources
    - covid has shown who's serious about football
    - getting his pay almost doubled
    - chance to see if you can make it on the biggest stage

At 55 years old why the fuck not? I bet peterman told him "roll the dice, you never know until you try and do your own boise thing ..." And so here we are
  • TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813
    Bread said:

You mean I didn't have to listen to softy???

Speaking of minor leagues. That fuck is an embarrassment
    animate said:

- pac12 is a disaster
    - can't compete in visibility nor resources
    - covid has shown who's serious about football
    - getting his pay almost doubled
    - chance to see if you can make it on the biggest stage

At 55 years old why the fuck not? I bet peterman told him "roll the dice, you never know until you try and do your own boise thing ..." And so here we are

If it doesn’t work he retires

If it does work he works the next 5-7 years and retires

I can understand why it’s time

But the reasons for leaving are rooted in the competition and environment factors you noted
  • Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,723
    Tequilla said:

For those of you with Athletic subscriptions it’s a must read ...

It’s a sobering interview that will make you want to drink heavily ... probably best to lock up the bleach before reading

I didn't really take it that way. Seemed pretty anodyne. Texas has always been a bigger deal than UW, Sark is a west coast guy so there is a comfort level there, more money, and the job is more exciting than staying on for a CP-Lite experience with Jimmy.

The stuff about how football is a bigger deal in other parts of the country was fed to him by Caple, he didn't really bite IMO.