Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Does Helfrich Wisecrack Signal Renewel of Husky-Duck Rivalry?

Hardcore_HuskyHardcore_Husky Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 302
Name Dropper 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
Swaye's Wigwam
edited May 2013 in Tug Tavern

imageDoes Helfrich Wisecrack Signal Renewel of Husky-Duck Rivalry?

Every year it was the same old scene. The Ducks would destroy the Huskies, and then Steve Sarkisian and Oregon's Chip Kelly would converge at midfield to give each other a warm hug. Given the context of the moment, it was an odd thing to watch. But given recent comments by Oregon's new coach Mark Helfrich, is the rivalry back on?

Read the full story here

Comments

• RaccoonHarryRaccoonHarry Member Posts: 2,160
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    "...is the rivalry back on"?

It was never "off", just became one-sided. VERY one-sided. And my sources tell me Helfrich is, in fact, a really nice guy so it's doubtful he'll fan the flames of hatred between the respective coaches and players. Of course the fans hate each other and always will. That's what rivalries are all about.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,882
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    oregon doesn't view Washington as a threat. Second,Washington fans haven't always hated oregon. They've only hated them since 1994/1995. The Ducks get much more excited to play USC, UCLA, Oregon State, Cal and Stanford than they do UW.
  • Steve_BowmanSteve_Bowman Member Posts: 442
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Testing 1
    edited May 2013
    I don't blame the new guy for bitch slapping Cream Puff. Why not?

The yuck fans and Knight will love it and there are no repercussions. The coach and team are so soft they won't take exception to it. Steve will still come out after we get plastered and give him a sickening hug. Once again, why not?
  • HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Todd Turner's vision of building a football program like Vandy and Oregon is well underway. Let it play out.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    That picture of Sark and Chip makes me want to punch Sark in the face. What kind of coach smiles and hugs the opposing coach after getting blown out 52-21? It symbolizes everything that is wrong with the program.
    Swaye's Wigwam

oregon doesn't view Washington as a threat. Second,Washington fans haven't always hated oregon. They've only hated them since 1994/1995. The Ducks get much more excited to play USC, UCLA, Oregon State, Cal and Stanford than they do UW.

I'm so tired of the Duck hate. What do we hate them for? Because they blow us out every year? It's jealousy, plain and simple. It's very similar to how Coug fans act towards UW. I guess the only difference is that WSU actually beat us. They can't beat anyone else in the conference, but they can beat UW.

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,078
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I hated Oregon before it was cool. Going to games as a kid with my dad, (really) both teams pretty much sucked and there was a lot of hate. Husky Stadium has never been more electric than in 1974 calling for Owens to get that last TD to make it 66-0 to cover the 58-0 loss the year before. That was a 5-6 season.

Since James has come and gone the series has been one sided one way or the other. I hated them more when we were beating them
    Founders Club

I hated Oregon before it was cool. Going to games as a kid with my dad, (really) both teams pretty much sucked and there was a lot of hate. Husky Stadium has never been more electric than in 1974 calling for Owens to get that last TD to make it 66-0 to cover the 58-0 loss the year before. That was a 5-6 season.

Since James has come and gone the series has been one sided one way or the other. I hated them more when we were beating them

That's interesting. From my standpoint, my first Oregon memory was 54-0 in 1977, listening to it on the radio with my dad (really).

Also, I don't hate Oregon. There's no point in "hating" something when your side is completely powerless to do anything about it.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 2013

I hated Oregon from about 94-04. I remember watching Tui lose to Oregon in his first start in 97 and being devasted. The Wheaton Pick 6 game a few years before that was a rough one as well. After 2004, there has been nothing to hate because they have been really good and we have been shitty.

Like Derek said, there is no point to hate something when UW is powerless to do anything about it. The anti Oregon shit on dawgman makes them very similar to the delusional Coug fans. To say Oregon is only good because they cheated is short sighted and inaccurate to say the least. Part of me hopes they get punished, but I really wish they didn't get punished and we had a team capable of beating them at full strength.

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,078
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The bottom line is Oregon did all the things schools do when they want a powerhouse program. Its why we say you can win anywhere like Nebraska or Boise. Washington used to do those things but lost their nerve. Bama shows time after time that if you get caught cheating you just say fuck it and do it again. I imagine Oregon will be more like Bama than UW as long as Knight is alive
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 2013
    I was at the 73 and 74 games. I was only 8 or 9. I went to one with my dad. The next year he had to work the swing shift. Can't recall the crispiness of the day. Anywhoo..I started hating them then. I went to Oddson (lol) for every UW game from 73 - 2000. I didn't hate the duck team, I hated their stupid ass fans. Back then, if you could find a duck fan around, they were world class ignorant assholes. The day of the pick was unbearable. I stopped going after the loss in 2000. I couldn't take it anymore. The fan abuse was unreal. Got in a quick fight with some punk who verbally abused my family. I punched the fucker right in the jaw and he went down like a sack of taters. Needless to say, that's not something I wanted to deal with on a regular basis. I finally went back in last year. I had a good time because everyone knew what the outcome would be and the game went to form. It's as off the game was a side show for the main tailgate event. I imagine when UW beats them again (lol), the fans might change back. I would at least expect a lot of the bandwagoners to drop off real quick.
  • CheersWestDawgCheersWestDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,475
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I have friends who have been going to the game in Eugene almost as long as you have Mike. They said the year Autism (lol) Stadium was remodeled is when they noticed the crowd start to mellow out.
    Founders Club
    The Springfield contingent got weeded out from raised ticket prices.
  • Steve_BowmanSteve_Bowman Member Posts: 442
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Testing 1
    edited May 2013
    This is an interesting misunderstood point. Many of us who hate the birds, hate the fans (not the team necessarily.) They are indeed awful. My son lives in Portland; the poor sportsmanship and attitude is off the scale. Swagger is fine, being a loud mouth asshole is another thing.

As far as the team, they are actually fun to watch, all though they are not as formidable as they appear in one off games.

The cheating? Good for them. They are an SEC team in the PAC. It's like a game that the refs are not calling personal fouls, play the game as it's called. The yucks use the proven SEC formula, "If you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin." For example, Alabama was on probation for a nearly a decade.....two years after it's over, they win a championship. You figure it out, the birds have.

RoadDawg55:
    I'm so tired of the Duck hate. What do we hate them for? Because they blow us out every year? It's jealousy, plain and simple. It's very similar to how Coug fans act towards UW. I guess the only difference is that WSU actually beat us. They can't beat anyone else in the conference, but they can beat UW.

• CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    UW football program is so hapless that even the unmistakable ridicule from the UO head coach (a supposedly rival program) will likely go unanswered on the field for years to come. What more evidence is necessary to conclude that Woodward and Sark need to go. Helfrich is openly mocking them.
  • WhiskeyDawgWhiskeyDawg Member Posts: 406
    5 Awesomes Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Up Votes
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqmmxOsJW1Y This is how I want my football coach to react to the other coach when he gets boat raced.
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,232
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club

This is an interesting misunderstood point. Many of us who hate the birds, hate the fans (not the team necessarily.) They are indeed awful. My son lives in Portland; the poor sportsmanship and attitude is off the scale. Swagger is fine, being a loud mouth asshole is another thing.

As far as the team, they are actually fun to watch, all though they are not as formidable as they appear in one off games.

The cheating? Good for them. They are an SEC team in the PAC. It's like a game that the refs are not calling personal fouls, play the game as it's called. The yucks use the proven SEC formula, "If you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin." For example, Alabama was on probation for a nearly a decade.....two years after it's over, they win a championship. You figure it out, the birds have.

RoadDawg55:

Mostly agree, except they are not an SEC team. They are fun to watch, but the only SEC trait they have is their cheating, and as you said, good for them for caring and trying. On the field, though, they are definitely not SEC, definitely not an LSU, Alabama, Florida, ..etc.
    Swaye's Wigwam

RoadDawg55:

Mostly agree, except they are not an SEC team. They are fun to watch, but the only SEC trait they have is their cheating, and as you said, good for them for caring and trying. On the field, though, they are definitely not SEC, definitely not an LSU, Alabama, Florida, ..etc.
    The only team that can say they are truly better than Oregon is Alabama. Oregon has been much better than Florida since Tebow left. Oregon also just completed a more successful season than LSU, although LSU did beat them pretty good to open the season in 2011. Alabama is Alabama, but Oregon is as good or better than any other team imo. We will see if that continues now that Chip is gone.

• jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,550
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    I would much prefer a program that ends their spring practice with knock down drag out fight to set the tone for fall practice. Instead, husky fans saw chips shots and old men trying to relive glory days. Sorry state of affairs. Oregon will continue to dominate Washington until Washington decides to commit to excellence and pure violence on the field. There is no violence on the husky team. No Frank Garcia's, no Olin Kreutz's, no Lawyer Milloy's, no Ink Allega's, no Emtman's, no Bruener's, no Holbert's, no Tommie Smith's, no Jason Shelley's, no Leon Neals'.....Washington needs some killers on the team. Guys that just straight up ball. Sean Parker looks like he could step up this year, but they are in dire need of killers.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    jecornel said:

I would much prefer a program that ends their spring practice with knock down drag out fight to set the tone for fall practice. Instead, husky fans saw chips shots and old men trying to relive glory days. Sorry state of affairs. Oregon will continue to dominate Washington until Washington decides to commit to excellence and pure violence on the field. There is no violence on the husky team. No Frank Garcia's, no Olin Kreutz's, no Lawyer Milloy's, no Ink Allega's, no Emtman's, no Bruener's, no Holbert's, no Tommie Smith's, no Jason Shelley's, no Leon Neals'.....Washington needs some killers on the team. Guys that just straight up ball. Sean Parker looks like he could step up this year, but they are in dire need of killers.

Are there any Hofman's? Any Dillon's? Any Joe Steele's? Was there ever any Holbert's? I do remember some Emptaman's. Do we have any Brostek's?