Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Hardest/Worst Job You Ever Had?

CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,857
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Founders Club
@89ute commented in the KFC thread about working at KFC in his youth and how shitty a job it was. That got me thinking about the hardest job I ever had.

Summer of 91, I just graduated and was about to go into the Army but my dates got pushed back so old man Nacho set me up with a job at Gai’s bakery (now Franz bakery) in the sanitation department.

A couple of chinteresting tidbits: mom, dad, both brothers, an uncle, and 2 cousins all worked at Gai’s bakery at some point over the course of 50 years. I don’t think I had a job in high school that wasn’t set up by one of my parents.

On to the story....

My first day at work was a Saturday in August starting at 5 am. I was hungover from a party the night before and had no idea what this job entailed. I arrive and meet the other guy on the shift; he’s going to train me and today is his second to last day before going back to school at UW.

First part of the job, go into the basement of the giant factory bakery were there are 30+ mini dumpsters full of yeast infested dough that has fallen on the floor during the baking process and take a shovel to scoop up anything that’s fallen out. At about 7am, a dump truck arrives and the 2 of us are pushing these dumpsters in front of the truck to get emptied.

Let me tell, you don’t want to walk into a room of 30+ containers of yeast infested dough when you’re hungover from drinking Olde English the night before. Those 2 things don’t mix very well.

Next part of the job, go through the bakery with a shitty flat bed cart to collect barrels of discarded product that’s fallen off the assembly line. (The barrels were probably 55 gallon capacity) The flat bed part of the cart was about 18” off the ground and the barrels had no handles. Then tar the cart with barrels to a dumpster shoot. Lift the barrels off the cart over a 4 foot wall to empty the contents but not drop the barrel. Repeat this process 30 times.

My second day was Tuesday (the bakers were off Tuesday and Saturday which was when we worked). Show up expecting another day with the UW guy only to have my supervisor tell me UW guy decided to quit early and that I’d be on my own for an hour but a new guy was coming in and I’d be training him.

Thank God I left for basic training 6 weeks later.

Comments

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,954
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Swaye said:

Just go read the @89ute trial and tribulations thread and you have my worst job. Only mine was worse, because it was the exact same job frying chicken, but not at a fancy KFC. In the 80s there was this huge outdoor flea market in Arlington, TX - not sure if it is even still around. So, they had food service and like 30 different places to eat at this place. One of them was the Cluck-n-Bucket (Tommy Boy stole it from us) and that is where I worked. I didn't have fancy things like air conditioning like that pussy @89ute had. I spent the summer of 86 over deep fat fryers all day in the 100 degree Texas sun. I wanted to die. Best day of my life was when, after a couple months, I got promoted to pizza maker at the Pizza Shack because the only guy at the pizza shack quit and the three girls who worked there said they couldn't lift the huge frozen bricks of cheese out of the freezer. So, it was me and three girls flirting all day with them on the registers and me flinging pizzas. Quite a step up from the Bataan Death Marchesque experience at the Cluck-N-Bucket.

p.s. I banged the back out of the one of the register girls at the Pizza Shack on the reg. Her name was Jessica. Unreal 16 year old hard body and a face to protect it. Not my finest moment from a face perspective, but had an ass you could crack an egg on and C cups that quite literally pointed up they were so firm. I'm not sure why this post became about some hot bodied Texas blonde with a snaggle tooth, but it did, so fuck right off.

Bataan Death March Pizza would be an interesting restaurant name experiment
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

Just go read the @89ute trial and tribulations thread and you have my worst job. Only mine was worse, because it was the exact same job frying chicken, but not at a fancy KFC. In the 80s there was this huge outdoor flea market in Arlington, TX - not sure if it is even still around. So, they had food service and like 30 different places to eat at this place. One of them was the Cluck-n-Bucket (Tommy Boy stole it from us) and that is where I worked. I didn't have fancy things like air conditioning like that pussy @89ute had. I spent the summer of 86 over deep fat fryers all day in the 100 degree Texas sun. I wanted to die. Best day of my life was when, after a couple months, I got promoted to pizza maker at the Pizza Shack because the only guy at the pizza shack quit and the three girls who worked there said they couldn't lift the huge frozen bricks of cheese out of the freezer. So, it was me and three girls flirting all day with them on the registers and me flinging pizzas. Quite a step up from the Bataan Death Marchesque experience at the Cluck-N-Bucket.

p.s. I banged the back out of the one of the register girls at the Pizza Shack on the reg. Her name was Jessica. Unreal 16 year old hard body and a face to protect it. Not my finest moment from a face perspective, but had an ass you could crack an egg on and C cups that quite literally pointed up they were so firm. I'm not sure why this post became about some hot bodied Texas blonde with a snaggle tooth, but it did, so fuck right off.

So would Banging Snaggle Tooth Jessica on the Regular
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

So would Banging Snaggle Tooth Jessica on the Regular

If we're going to bash snaggle tooth blondes, I'm out.

That's pretty much Jessica but Jess had a bigger nose. Great body that only 16-17 year olds can have though.
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,247
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

I had one of those bullshit, boiler room sales jerbs once trying to make 90 calls a day type crap. Lasted 3 months and quit. I need the soft sell, Glenn Gary Glenn Ross leads or I’m fucked.

https://youtu.be/lGGV9VX7kqQ
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,583
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    lol I worked at petsmart for 3 weeks. Needed to get 600 bucks fast and they were the first place that called back.
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    I did inbound tech support in a call center for awhile. Fortunately I wasn’t tier one and my call volume wasn’t too bad, but it wore me down.

It wasn’t the customers either (though every once and awhile you got a grade A prick) it was management - they timed you on your calls in addition to evaluating them, and that added an unnecessary layer of pressure. Some people need more hand holding to work through their issue so we’d all cringe if it was a “needy” account on the line.

Plus, I hated the pre-canned script they forced us to use for troubleshooting. It was all very de-humanizing.

But even that gig wasn’t too bad. In hindsight I’ve been very lucky with the companies I’ve worked for and the positions I’ve held. I know what truly hellish jobs other people do.
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Champs Sports in the mall. Nothing about it was particularly horrible other than having to deal with an endless stream of people, mostly dumb, all day long. Once had a guy come in who looked like a pimp, and probably was one. He had me doing laps to the back while trying on shoes...must have tried on 20 different pairs. Of course he ended up buying none. Overall just a miserable job and the one-hour loop of crappy 1999 - 2000 pop punk rock didn't help. Only took the job to try and work with a hot blonde I went to high school with (no pics) and I don't think I ended up sharing shifts with her more than twice in the three months I lasted.

Also worked at Puetz Golf on Aurora. The amount of hubris associated with failed 30-somethings who sold golf apparel and could shoot 10-over was mind blowing. I quit that job after two weeks.

Retail sucks.

The jobs I had in warehouses and on production lines during my college years were much more enjoyable and the people were mostly honest, hard workers. That was before the great purge of all the PNW Tuff Liberals, though.

Retail is very challenging. And I paid my dues there too.

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,801
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    I've run a couple retail operations.

Fuck employees.

That's all I can say. FUCK EMPLOYEES.

• Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,817
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    I worked fast food off and on for years. It's hard work and demeaning. I'll take retail over that.

Door to door stuff can be pretty bad. I've never done it long term.

There's nothing worse than having a bitch's hand in your pocket. Listen to Leykis. I see the hot single chicks complain about bills on social media. You aren't conning me out of my hard earned money sweetheart. I'll bet your ex is paying vaginamony. Fuck that noise.