Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

State of your CD collection pole?

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,838
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam

State of your CD collection pole? 14 votes

CDs in original jewel cases proudly displayed
21%
YellowSnowJoeEDangerouslyIceManLikeGervin 3 votes
Binders full of CD (jewel cases long gone)
42%
SwayewhlinderpawzhuskyhooliganBleachedAnusDawgFishpo31 6 votes
Sold them all
7%
alumni94 1 vote
Gave them away
28%
DerekJohnsonLebamDawgDoog_de_Jour1to392831weretaken 4 votes
I've never owned a CD in my life
0%
Β«1

Comments

• alumni94alumni94 Member Posts: 4,849
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Sold them all
    I went digital. I know that most likely hurts the audiophiles ears on here, but it's working out for me.
    When I lived in Seattle there was a guy that lived down the block. He would open up his basement for a weekend every few months. Huge collector of vinyl, CDs and DVDs. I sold him my collection when I moved to digital. My Digital collection is now 58,937 items (511.39 GBs). Just too much to keep on the shelf.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,296
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Gave them away
    Janet Reno: Threw them all away.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,838
    Swaye's Wigwam
    alumni94 said:

I went digital. I know that most likely hurts the audiophiles ears on here, but it's working out for me.
    When I lived in Seattle there was a guy that lived down the block. He would open up his basement for a weekend every few months. Huge collector of vinyl, CDs and DVDs. I sold him my collection when I moved to digital. My Digital collection is now 58,937 items (511.39 GBs). Just too much to keep on the shelf.

CD is digital. Lulz.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,059
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Ive got some of those old black binders in a box somewhere collecting dust.
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,529
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Gave them away
    actually mine is a combo

I have a few CDs still and buy at Half Price Books prior to shutdown.

Gave away a bunch but have them all on a puter. If I look in some storage boxes I might have more.

Lost LPs in a divorce long time ago
  • Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,245
    edited January 2021
    My jewel cases lasted until our last move. I lost count of the number o'discs, but I've got 5 big binders, and a couple of little ones for road trips.

edit: I will still run across a couple when I'm digging thru a box looking for something else, and found one under my car seat about a month ago.
  • IPukeOregonGrellowIPukeOregonGrellow Member Posts: 2,183
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Sitting in a 300 disc CD changer I thought I'd always own...in the attic of my trailer.
  • alumni94alumni94 Member Posts: 4,849
    Sold them all

alumni94 said:

CD is digital. Lulz.
    sure.gif

mp3 then.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    alumni94 said:

alumni94 said:

CD is digital. Lulz.
    sure.gif

mp3 then.
    If money was no object, I would love to have a high end DAC / Music streamer chock block full of higher res (than CD) digital files. But to download those is expensive. Usually $20.00 to $24.00 per album.

Most of my serious listening is still analogue, but I find myself having to use the CD player a lot whenever the kids are around in the living room. Vinyl and small kids don't pair well. My CD player has a good DAC and USB input but Spotify still sounds like shit through it. So I rarely stream anything on my stereo.
  • Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Gave them away
    I do still have some custom mix CDs that friends or former suitors made, but since getting my new car I no longer have a way to play them. πŸ˜…

Younger poasters - do people make custom mixes anymore? Or do you just send people links to Spotify playlists?
    Swaye's Wigwam

I do still have some custom mix CDs that friends or former suitors made, but since getting my new car I no longer have a way to play them. πŸ˜…

Younger poasters - do people make custom mixes anymore? Or do you just send people links to Spotify playlists?

I helped DDY make a mixed tape for the Rose Bowl.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,296
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Gave them away

I'm an in-my-forties looser, but I put mixes on thumb drives for both vehicles.
  • huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,058
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I pulled all the sleeves and disposed of the cases.
  • Purple_PillsPurple_Pills Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,815
    Swaye's Wigwam

Other. Tucked away in dark drawers in jewel case. Be careful, CDs are not a great long term data storage. But keeping the discs justify your legal use of a ripped digital collection.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,467
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    The YouTube music app has convinced me to continue buying CD's. Fuck Google.
  • IceManLikeGervinIceManLikeGervin Member Posts: 331
    5 Awesomes Name Dropper 5 Up Votes First Comment
    My CDs are all in shoeboxes right now...

• JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,093
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited January 2021
    They are safely in storage. About 2000 of them. I’ll never sell. Also, if it’s one of my top bands I will buy their album instead of download it. I still respect the art form of it
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,890
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Gave them away
    I still have jazz CDs that belonged to @CFetters_Nacho_Lover's father-in-law, and some business and marketing CDs. Other than that, I gave them all away.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,059
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

Ive got some of those old black binders in a box somewhere collecting dust.

For years I had them in binders, but always saved the jewel cases (much to the consternation of Mrs Snow). Alas,my new house in White Wakanda came with some cool built ins where I could display them in all their glory. This is 1/2 of it.

When you say you are an audiophile, you aren't kidding. For those of us fortunate enough to be founding members of the John Donovan Fan Club, we get to to see the audio chinsanity on a weekly basis.