Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Woke TV

WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 15,008 Standard Supporter
My wife loves to watch historic British TV series such as Downton Abby. I'll occasionally watch with her. Last night we watched Episode 1 of the new Netflix series Bridgerton set in Regency England beginning in 1813. No doubt there is now a set aside quota of roles to be filled by minorities regardless of historic accuracy. So, we have the black English Duke of Hastings. Ladies in waiting for queen are black, black footman, black aristocrats etc. Now, if you remade The King and I and cast Yul Brynner as the king, the entertainment world would blow up. Charlie Chan was played by whites. Tonto was actually played by an Indian.

So, once upon a time, Hollywood and the entertainment industry weren't interested in true historic accuracy, however, makeup was used to make whites look like minorities. Have mixed feelings since if we remade Roots, all the black characters would still be played by blacks. It they remade Vikings do we get black Vikings? Talk amongst yourselves.

Comments

• PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,526 Standard Supporter

My wife loves to watch historic British TV series such as Downton Abby. I'll occasionally watch with her. Last night we watched Episode 1 of the new Netflix series Bridgerton set in Regency England beginning in 1813. No doubt there is now a set aside quota of roles to be filled by minorities regardless of historic accuracy. So, we have the black English Duke of Hastings. Ladies in waiting for queen are black, black footman, black aristocrats etc. Now, if you remade The King and I and cast Yul Brynner as the king, the entertainment world would blow up. Charlie Chan was played by whites. Tonto was actually played by an Indian.

So, once upon a time, Hollywood and the entertainment industry weren't interested in true historic accuracy, however, makeup was used to make whites look like minorities. Have mixed feelings since if we remade Roots, all the black characters would still be played by blacks. It they remade Vikings do we get black Vikings? Talk amongst yourselves.

Why not? Obama acted like he was from the hood for 8 years....

And Kamela is quite the thespian with her selective latina and sista accents.

• Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,519 Founders Club
    There were probably blacks in England at that time but

a) it was probably under one percent of the population

and

b) we all know they weren't the Duke of Worcestershire or whatever

The fake woke casting is dumb as hell. This isn't the sixth grade play. People pay money for cable or Netflix. If I'm paying money, don't insult my intelligence with this nonsense. I heard of some video game that was set in the Czech Republic 300 years ago that was under pressure to have token minorities in it. It's just insane. All the SJW losers can feel better about their exciting lives in mom's basement after their victory though.
  • USMChawkUSMChawk Member Posts: 1,796
    You’re only on the first episode. Spoiler alert.....the queen’s black too.