Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Husky Jacks open thread [2021]

Comments

• whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,708 Swaye's Wigwam
    dannarc said:

I can't wait to beat Michigan, then lose to Arky St in double OT and hear about what a great up and coming team they have, bowel bound, great recruiting....until they lose by 58 to an SEC team.

Given that they aren't scheduled to play an SEC team and their conference does not have tie-ins to bowls with SEC teams, you're implying they're going 13-0 and playing in a NY6 bowl
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,932 Founders Club
    dannarc said:

I can't wait to beat Michigan, then lose to Arky St in double OT and hear about what a great up and coming team they have, bowel bound, great recruiting....until they lose by 58 to an SEC team like Vandy.

• dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,362

dannarc said:

I can't wait to beat Michigan, then lose to Arky St in double OT and hear about what a great up and coming team they have, bowel bound, great recruiting....until they lose by 58 to an SEC team.

Given that they aren't scheduled to play an SEC team and their conference does not have tie-ins to bowls with SEC teams, you're implying they're going 13-0 and playing in a NY6 bowl

You got me
  • EmotermanEmoterman Member Posts: 3,333

Despite all the constant doom and gloom, I look at this schedule and expect to win 10+. Anything less than 10-2 is a failure.
    Would you also look at Beavis, Arizona, Utah, and Stanford all at home as a favorable schedule? I look at that schedule and expect to win 4. Anything less than 4-0 with that slate is failure. And yet...

Going 3-1 against last year's murderer's row is the equivalent of 8-4 against the '21 slate. I'm way more concerned about the product on the field in '20 than the recruiting right now, and that's saying a lot.
    But I'm hearing Donovan was better than expected. Just what I'm hearing, so don't twist, but if TRUE??!?! seems like your concern is mayhaps misplaced.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,524 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited March 2021
    Emoterman said:

Despite all the constant doom and gloom, I look at this schedule and expect to win 10+. Anything less than 10-2 is a failure.
    Would you also look at Beavis, Arizona, Utah, and Stanford all at home as a favorable schedule? I look at that schedule and expect to win 4. Anything less than 4-0 with that slate is failure. And yet...

Going 3-1 against last year's murderer's row is the equivalent of 8-4 against the '21 slate. I'm way more concerned about the product on the field in '20 than the recruiting right now, and that's saying a lot.
    But I'm hearing Donovan was better than expected. Just what I'm hearing, so don't twist, but if TRUE??!?! seems like your concern is mayhaps misplaced.
    The soft bigotry of low expectations.

I was always firmly in the "the buck stops at the head coach" camp. As far as actual on-field production is concerned, hiring Donovan would only be a disaster if Lake doesn't understand offense or totally turns it over. There's something to be said for the ability of rivals to negatively recruit against a coordinator with a shit resume, but I was willing to LIFPO on the field with Donovan. The '20 offense would be on Lake, good or bad.

I similarly never understood the love for the '20 offense around these parts. It can't be stressed enough that the schedule was babyshit soft. Any offense that averages less than 480 yards and 40 points against that slate is not an offense in modern football. I mean, sure, the new offense ran the ball 81 times against Beavis and the quarterback never took a 20 yard sack, but at the end of the day the only thing that matters is production, and that offense didn't produce.

Why my expectation aren't that high for '21 is that pretty much every part of that offense is coming back. It's going to look very similar. The biggest limitation will continue to be the inability to push the ball downfield, assuming Morris keeps the starting job, a resultant difficulty in getting the ball to receivers in space due to crowded shallow zones, and similarly difficult sledding in the run game for the same reason.

I saw a lack of scheming to get receivers open. A lack of scheming to create space for runners (turns out it's not against the rules to spread the field with four receivers and then run the ball). A quarterback who gets a lot of credit here for being a big dick gunslinger° but struggles with downfield accuracy and production prior to the fourth quarter (against a weak slate, no less). Dropped passes and no receiver really stepping up and being that reliable #1 guy. No running back really showing that he's capable of adding value beyond the design of the play (how many times was Gaskin dead to rights short of the sticks but somehow wiggled past? Or turn a sure loss into a 7 yard gain?). I don't expect these things to change for '21, so I'm not holding my breath.
  • CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,126 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited March 2021

Emoterman said:

I was always firmly in the "the buck stops at the head coach" camp. As far as actual on-field production is concerned, hiring Donovan would only be a disaster if Lake doesn't understand offense or totally turns it over. There's something to be said for the ability of rivals to negatively recruit against a coordinator with a shit resume, but I was willing to LIFPO on the field with Donovan. The '20 offense would be on Lake, good or bad.

I similarly never understood the love for the '20 offense around these parts. It can't be stressed enough that the schedule was babyshit soft. Any offense that averages less than 480 yards and 40 points against that slate is not an offense in modern football. I mean, sure, the new offense ran the ball 81 times against Beavis and the quarterback never took a 20 yard sack, but at the end of the day the only thing that matters is production, and that offense didn't produce.

Why my expectation aren't that high for '21 is that pretty much every part of that offense is coming back. It's going to look very similar. The biggest limitation will continue to be the inability to push the ball downfield, assuming Morris keeps the starting job, a resultant difficulty in getting the ball to receivers in space due to crowded shallow zones, and similarly difficult sledding in the run game for the same reason.

I saw a lack of scheming to get receivers open. A lack of scheming to create space for runners (turns out it's not against the rules to spread the field with four receivers and then run the ball). A quarterback who gets a lot of credit here for being a big dick gunslinger° but struggles with downfield accuracy and production prior to the fourth quarter (against a weak slate, no less). Dropped passes and no receiver really stepping up and being that reliable #1 guy. No running back really showing that he's capable of adding value beyond the design of the play (how many times was Gaskin dead to rights short of the sticks but somehow wiggled past? Or turn a sure loss into a 7 yard gain?). I don't expect these things to change for '21, so I'm not holding my breath.
    I agree with much of this post except that receivers weren't schemed open. UW had guys open. In games one and two the intermediate throws were open. Guys were running more free in those two games than all of 2019. In those two games many of the missed throws on downfield shots the guy was also open. After teams realized Morris couldn't make them pay for cheating up, the intermediate muddied a bit. If DM can connect on those deep passes AND if our receivers can catch the fucking ball with any regularity, then the intermediate game would thrive and the run game would loosen. Big if, I know.
    Was just going to post the same thing. We had dudes open. DyMo just missed them. The overall numbers would have looked much better if he had simply connected on a few.

ISHIT
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,524 Swaye's Wigwam

Emoterman said:

I agree with much of this post except that receivers weren't schemed open. UW had guys open. In games one and two the intermediate throws were open. Guys were running more free in those two games than all of 2019. In those two games many of the missed throws on downfield shots the guy was also open. After teams realized Morris couldn't make them pay for cheating up, the intermediate muddied a bit. If DM can connect on those deep passes AND if our receivers can catch the fucking ball with any regularity, then the intermediate game would thrive and the run game would loosen. Big if, I know.

Emoterman said:

Was just going to post the same thing. We had dudes open. DyMo just missed them. The overall numbers would have looked much better if he had simply connected on a few.

ISHIT
    Yeah, I saw the same, I just refuse to count open receivers when the defenses in question are Beavelet and Arizona. Against Stanford and Utah (and, sure, that's because they scouted and knew better, but my whole point is that this won't change next season with the same personnel returning), open receivers were extremely rare.
  • BreadBread Member Posts: 4,011
    edited March 2021

We have 7 kickers on the roster for spring ball. Have we ever had such fierce competition?

Bonerpha bringing the stable mentality to special teams.
  • BreadBread Member Posts: 4,011
    Bread said:

We have 7 kickers on the roster for spring ball. Have we ever had such fierce competition?

Bonerpha bringing the stable mentality to special teams.
    Get hyped for some immenent long snapper Commits. With only 2 on the roster they will get warn out quickly with so many Kickers.