Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Boys In The Boat

89ute89ute Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,453
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
Swaye's Wigwam
Finally got a copy and made the commitment to read. Santa gave me the "Young Readers Adaptation" given my WAC education and cuz pictures and stuff.

I'm only about 70 pages into it. Joe just made freshmen first boat. Almost cried.

So far, this is The Grapes of Wrath, which is a complement. Similar read and similar story so far. One of my favorite books. I wound up reading a lot of Steinbeck because of Grapes. i feel like I'm reliving it. Joe had it rough.

During my visit I passed Joe's high school several times, Roosevelt High. Pleasant surprise. I can already tell this book is gong to leave mark.

@YellowSnow thank you for the boathouse tour. I see it constantly as I read, especially the '36 canoe hanging in the rafters. I knew at the time I was seeing something special, I soaked it in rill good.

I'm sure I'll poast more about it as I continue reading. My WAC education prevents this from happening quickly and in this case it's a good thing. I'm savoring every word and photo.

Comments

• Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Fantastic book. Held out on reading it for a while, bad decision.
  • Options
    TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,583
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited December 2020
    Yella, The cool thing [as you know] is that the power and grandeur of the legacy continues in full force to this day.

The level of achievement and commitment is the most impressive feat of longevity and pure dominance I have ever seen in collegiate sports. Nothing else is even close. Wrapping opening day into the celebration has now made this into such a powerful force. Yow.
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,804
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    89ute said:

Finally got a copy and made the commitment to read. Santa gave me the "Young Readers Adaptation" given my WAC education and cuz pictures and stuff.

I'm only about 70 pages into it. Joe just made freshmen first boat. Almost cried.

So far, this is The Grapes of Wrath, which is a complement. Similar read and similar story so far. One of my favorite books. I wound up reading a lot of Steinbeck because of Grapes. i feel like I'm reliving it. Joe had it rough.

During my visit I passed Joe's high school several times, Roosevelt High. Pleasant surprise. I can already tell this book is gong to leave mark.

@YellowSnow thank you for the boathouse tour. I see it constantly as I read, especially the '36 canoe hanging in the rafters. I knew at the time I was seeing something special, I soaked it in rill good.

I'm sure I'll poast more about it as I continue reading. My WAC education prevents this from happening quickly and in this case it's a good thing. I'm savoring every word and photo.

Good luck putting it down. From the poont they go to nationals and qualify till the end is page-turning stuff.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    89ute said:

Yup. To me, the greatest story of the UW’s history.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

89ute said:

Ted Bundy might take the cake lol. Joking
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,107
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Alright you guys have convinced me to go bring it back to the front of the queue. I tried reading it a few years ago and went a chapter or two in before I moved on from boredom.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,963
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Alright you guys have convinced me to go bring it back to the front of the queue. I tried reading it a few years ago and went a chapter or two in before I moved on from boredom.

Hurtful
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,963
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    FireCohen said:

89ute said:

In fairness we share Ted with the Utes.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,107
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

FireCohen said:

89ute said:

and the Seminoles, if we're going to be brutally blunt
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

FireCohen said:

89ute said:

and the Seminoles, if we're going to be brutally blunt
    Dark even by HH standards
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    @YellowSnow
    @whlinder

Questions come to mind as I read. Every row boat guy picture I've seen yooz are in tank tops and shorts. You guys row in some miserable conditions on Lake Worshington. What do you wear? Do you feet get cold? Hands? Are you out there in your underwear like every photo I've seen, regardless of weather? In good weather, are the shorts anything special or just regular shorts and tank tops?

The tradition of collecting the loser's jersey. Is it still a thing?

Explain the season/year. Football for example, we all know, winter conditioning, spring ball, more conditioning. Fall camp - gaymes usually week before Labor Day.

What's the rowboat year like?

Are all races, meets, matches or whatever, are they called a regatta or is that specifically the race on the Hudson?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

89ute said:

@YellowSnow
    @whlinder

Questions come to mind as I read. Every row boat guy picture I've seen yooz are in tank tops and shorts. You guys row in some miserable conditions on Lake Worshington. What do you wear? Do you feet get cold? Hands? Are you out there in your underwear like every photo I've seen, regardless of weather? In good weather, are the shorts anything special or just regular shorts and tank tops?

The tradition of collecting the loser's jersey. Is it still a thing?

Explain the season/year. Football for example, we all know, winter conditioning, spring ball, more conditioning. Fall camp - gaymes usually week before Labor Day.

What's the rowboat year like?

Are all races, meets, matches or whatever, are they called a regatta or is that specifically the race on the Hudson?

I've rowed on Lake Worshington in everything from 90 and sunny to 25 and snowing. Rowing shorts are pretty similar for whatever lycra type faggy shit triathletes or cyclists wear. You can't have anything baggy or it will get caught in the slides and you need something that will prevent a pouch fight with your junk.

The guys back then were definitely tougher to 2 reasons: (1) there was no Goretex in the 1930 so all there shit was soggy wet, whereas we had the option for waterproof wind breakers to keep oneself somewhat comfortable; and (2) they pretty much took the boats our in all manner of rough water (and sometimes sunk) as this was their only way to train. Our coaches just had us do rowing machine workouts when the water was too rough to train on, since the rowing machine achieves just as much training benefit for your heart and lungs as being on the water, if not more so.

Yes, betting shirts is still a thing. I have boxes of them.
    Makes me wonder if there are any rowboats on the bottom of Lake Worshington. All kinds of cool stuff but google does not seem to care about rowboats.

So, any stories about sunken rowboats?

http://www.boydski.com/diving/Lake_Washington_Wrecks.htm

• Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,084
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    89ute said:

Free pub for #myteds!

Friendly reminder of my residency in the Duchess men's room the month of July!