Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Tough NJ principal Joe Clark, who inspired film ‘Lean on Me,’ dead at 82

WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 14,009
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
Standard Supporter
Seems like a real racist approach to teaching. Expecting feral animals to attend public school to be educated is a bridge too far. Way too many expulsions and disciplined black kids. Today, "Batman" would be sued and fired on day one. Because its all about educating the kids. Not really. Sort of like the Stand and Deliver math teacher who the leftard school administrators hated.

https://nypost.com/2020/12/30/nj-principal-joe-clark-who-inspired-lean-on-me-dead-at-82/

Joe Clark, the baseball bat-wielding former New Jersey principal who was the inspiration for the 1989 movie “Lean on Me,” has died after a long battle with an unspecified illness, his family said.

Clark was 82.

The longtime South Orange resident, who was played by Morgan Freeman in the hit movie he inspired, died Tuesday surrounded by his family in his retirement home in Gainesville, Florida, the family said.

“Rest In Peace Dad…. I am so grateful for your never ending love,” one of his daughters, former Olympic runner Hazel Clark, wrote on Twitter.

The former Army Reserve sergeant and drill instructor found notoriety for the tough discipline he instilled while principal of troubled Eastside High School in Paterson from 1983 to 1989.

He famously roamed the halls with a bullhorn and baseball bat — getting him the nickname “Batman” — and once expelled 300 students in a single day for fighting, vandalism, abusing teachers and drug possession.

Clark’s get-tough methodology soon saw him featured on “60 Minutes,” “The Arsenio Hall Show” and the cover of Time magazine in 1988.

He was even offered a part of Ronald Reagan’s administration in 1988 as a policy advisor, which Clark declined.

The 1989 film that took inspiration from him grossed $31 million at the box office and was awarded outstanding motion picture at the 1989 NAACP Image Awards.

Freeman called Clark a “charismatic magician” in an interview that same year, hailing the principal’s “amazing control over his school and his students.”

He recalled how Clark was pivotal in getting students to cooperate with scenes shot at Eastside.

“He got up in front of the students and said, ‘You know, they’re going to be making the picture, and we are the stars. So let’s give them every help we can.’ And by George, that’s what they did,” Freeman said.

The same year that “Lean on Me” was released, Clark left Eastside and worked for six years as the director of Essex County Detention House, a juvenile detention center in Newark.

He also wrote “Laying Down the Law: Joe Clark’s Strategy for Saving Our Schools,” detailing his methods for turning around Eastside High.

New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy on Wednesday praised him for having “dedicated his life to educating New Jersey’s youth.”

“He will be missed,” he tweeted. Clark was born in Georgia, with his family settling in New Jersey when he was six, initially in Newark.

As well as guiding his students, Clark was the father of “New Jersey’s most storied track and field family,” the family statement said.

Both his daughters — Hazel and Joetta Clark Diggs — ran in the Olympics, while Joe Clark, Jr, or JJ, is an accomplished athlete who is now director of track and field and cross country at Stanford University, the family said. He is also survived by three grandchildren, Talitha, Jorell, and Hazel.

Comments

• Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    Sounds like Covid targeted another minority
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,922
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Clark was what most

Seems like a real racist approach to teaching. Expecting feral animals to attend public school to be educated is a bridge too far. Way too many expulsions and disciplined black kids. Today, "Batman" would be sued and fired on day one. Because its all about educating the kids. Not really. Sort of like the Stand and Deliver math teacher who the leftard school administrators hated.

https://nypost.com/2020/12/30/nj-principal-joe-clark-who-inspired-lean-on-me-dead-at-82/

Joe Clark, the baseball bat-wielding former New Jersey principal who was the inspiration for the 1989 movie “Lean on Me,” has died after a long battle with an unspecified illness, his family said.

Clark was 82.

The longtime South Orange resident, who was played by Morgan Freeman in the hit movie he inspired, died Tuesday surrounded by his family in his retirement home in Gainesville, Florida, the family said.

“Rest In Peace Dad…. I am so grateful for your never ending love,” one of his daughters, former Olympic runner Hazel Clark, wrote on Twitter.

The former Army Reserve sergeant and drill instructor found notoriety for the tough discipline he instilled while principal of troubled Eastside High School in Paterson from 1983 to 1989.

He famously roamed the halls with a bullhorn and baseball bat — getting him the nickname “Batman” — and once expelled 300 students in a single day for fighting, vandalism, abusing teachers and drug possession.

Clark’s get-tough methodology soon saw him featured on “60 Minutes,” “The Arsenio Hall Show” and the cover of Time magazine in 1988.

He was even offered a part of Ronald Reagan’s administration in 1988 as a policy advisor, which Clark declined.

The 1989 film that took inspiration from him grossed $31 million at the box office and was awarded outstanding motion picture at the 1989 NAACP Image Awards.

Freeman called Clark a “charismatic magician” in an interview that same year, hailing the principal’s “amazing control over his school and his students.”

He recalled how Clark was pivotal in getting students to cooperate with scenes shot at Eastside.

“He got up in front of the students and said, ‘You know, they’re going to be making the picture, and we are the stars. So let’s give them every help we can.’ And by George, that’s what they did,” Freeman said.

The same year that “Lean on Me” was released, Clark left Eastside and worked for six years as the director of Essex County Detention House, a juvenile detention center in Newark.

He also wrote “Laying Down the Law: Joe Clark’s Strategy for Saving Our Schools,” detailing his methods for turning around Eastside High.

New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy on Wednesday praised him for having “dedicated his life to educating New Jersey’s youth.”

“He will be missed,” he tweeted. Clark was born in Georgia, with his family settling in New Jersey when he was six, initially in Newark.

As well as guiding his students, Clark was the father of “New Jersey’s most storied track and field family,” the family statement said.

Both his daughters — Hazel and Joetta Clark Diggs — ran in the Olympics, while Joe Clark, Jr, or JJ, is an accomplished athlete who is now director of track and field and cross country at Stanford University, the family said. He is also survived by three grandchildren, Talitha, Jorell, and Hazel.

Shows you how much we've changed as a society. There was a time when there were plenty of Principals like Joe Clark all over the country. They may not have used a bullhorn and a bat but you didn't mess with them. Clark was a throw back in the late 80s that's what made him a novelty. There's no Joe Clark's today in any public school in the country now. We now have the anti-Joe Clark's. Black kids are no longer even expected to be held to a high standard in fact their failing and misbehavior are blamed on white racism.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,751
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited December 2020
    Back in my day, Principals were to be feared. At every school I went to, you weren’t sure if you were gonna get the paddle or just some bad breath brow beating.

Vice Principals however, were to be forever punked.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,886
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Kaepsknee said:

Back in my day, Principals were to be feared. At every school I went to, you weren’t sure if you were gonna get the paddle or just some bad breath brow beating.

vice principals handle a lot of the discipline

Administrators are under pressure to keep suspensions down, and nowadays, they're under pressure to keep black and Latinxxxxxxxx suspensions down (even though Trump rescinded that fucktarded Obama rule).

There's a lot of bullshit about restorative circles, feelers, bullying, and have teachers/lead teachers/dept. heads handle all discipline that isn't fighting, threats, or drugs. There are plenty of @kobestopper ideologies among many of the younger educators too.
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 14,009
    Standard Supporter
    White female teacher trying to take away a cell phone from a black male during class. Any white female teachers want to sign up for that under the obama rules? Any black female teachers? I'd call on the batman but that ship has sailed and we are the worse for it. But for god's sake, don't provide a caring black family the tuition voucher wherewithal to get the hell out of a leftard inner city school system.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,751
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited December 2020

Kaepsknee said:

Administrators are under pressure to keep suspensions down, and nowadays, they're under pressure to keep black and Latinxxxxxxxx suspensions down (even though Trump rescinded that fucktarded Obama rule).

There's a lot of bullshit about restorative circles, feelers, bullying, and have teachers/lead teachers/dept. heads handle all discipline that isn't fighting, threats, or drugs. There are plenty of @kobestopper ideologies among many of the younger educators too.
    Things have changed. When me and a couple buddies got caught smoking weed on the slab at Jimmy Lakes alma mater, the Vice Principal started to come at us yelling and threatening. Since no one else was around to see it. We stamped the joint out, told him to fuck off and went back to class. Never heard another thing about it. Bentz was his name if I remember right. Probably helped that one of the guys was a 3 sport stud and his parents were big boosters.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,886
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Kaepsknee said:

Kaepsknee said:

Things have changed. When me and a couple buddies got caught smoking weed on the slab at Jimmy Lakes alma mater, the Vice Principal started to come at us yelling and threatening. Since no one else was around to see it. We stamped the joint out, told him to fuck off and went back to class. Never heard another thing about it. Bentz was his name if I remember right. Probably helped that one of the guys was a 3 sport stud and his parents were big boosters.
    Well regardless, he's a pussy. That's the problem. There are no consequences. It's like Seattle. The bums know all they're going to do is a night in jail because of these leftist retards who have infested political and judicial life there. Kids know they can get away with quite a bit in public schools.