Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Locker...

13»

Comments

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,594 Founders Club

The fastest man to ever play football (at least since they started collecting this data) lined up at Washington. That's gotta factor into the conversation at least a little.

Who? I would have thought that to be Bob Hayes at Florida A&M.
    Are you being obtuse? John Ross.
    Can't believe I forgot about John Ross XII
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,594 Founders Club

I was a huge Stanback guy. Met him when we were working on the new crew digs. Really nice kid

I will never be convinced that he did not get fucked over here by the shit coaching we had.

His tape from Garfield was at one of the couple of doogman recruiting banquets. John Elway esque

Speaking of doogman most of the doogs hated Stanback in order to protect Ty. Same as always. It never even registered on them that Ty fucked over Jake too

I saw him play once in HS. For the life of me, I can't remember who they were playing. I'm not sure I can remember seeing a HS kid on the field who was so clearly better than everybody else. I watched Lindquist a few times ... he gave that impression as well. But Stanback to me is the best pure athlete that I've ever seen play at Washington ... and if I thought about it some, probably at many other programs as well.

I also met it him a couple of times. Very true ... super nice kid. Absolutely down to earth and humble. Would have been chintresting to see how he'd be used today in the multitude of offenses that take advantage of those kinds of talents. You're not usually going to have success bringing in a kid from nowhere coaching and develop him into a progression read pocket QB. Those guys are usually well on their way by the time they show up.

How would Stanback, for example, fared at Oregon during Chip? Or at Lincoln Riley's Oklahoma? Or Louisville?

I've lost touch with Isaiah but we kept in touch for about ten years after he left UW. He and his wife came to one of my book signings. I always thought he was a really cool dude. His dad once emailed me saying thanks for having Isaiah's back when so many were doubting him. That was in 2006.

I think he had some limitations like Roadie said, but he could have been soooooo much better with proper coaching. Imagine if someone like Tedford could have been a daily presence with him for 4-5 years.

• chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,950 Swaye's Wigwam

I was a huge Stanback guy. Met him when we were working on the new crew digs. Really nice kid

I will never be convinced that he did not get fucked over here by the shit coaching we had.

His tape from Garfield was at one of the couple of doogman recruiting banquets. John Elway esque

Speaking of doogman most of the doogs hated Stanback in order to protect Ty. Same as always. It never even registered on them that Ty fucked over Jake too

He was 1-9 at Garfield. He had no coaching growing up. Fast, but not really elusive. Easy to bring down. Inaccurate throwing the ball. I think he could have been better, but there wasn’t a world class QB in him.
    Disagree with all that except that the had no coaching.
    Did you ever watch him and think, “What a game breaking threat running the ball?” Did you ever watch him and think he was a good passer? He had a good stretch in 2006 where he played pretty well. I agree coaching hindered him. I don’t think he would have been a great QB elsewhere.

Locker was a way better runner than Stanback and it wasn’t close.
    Locker was definitely a better runner. Stanback didn't see the field, didn't see past the first defender to set up moves on successive tacklers, and didn't set up blockers. He was all speed.

Stanback was about 5 years behind the 8 ball as far as learning how to play QB. I dont think he could have ever been developed into an NFL level, pocket QB but I saw enough to know he could have easily been a good one in college. His accuracy often looked worse than it was because there was no place to good with the ball in that joke of a passing offense. Go back and watch how often his only read was a single out pattern to a bracketed receiver. He smartly threw a shit ton of balls high and wide to avoid picks.

Stanback was given no chance whatsoever by inheriting Gilby and Ty. We know he wasn't good. We can only speculate whether or not he could/should have been better.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 23,010

The fastest man to ever play football (at least since they started collecting this data) lined up at Washington. That's gotta factor into the conversation at least a little.

Who? I would have thought that to be Bob Hayes at Florida A&M.
    Are you being obtuse? John Ross.
    Uh, no. Thanks for playing.

• QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,294 Swaye's Wigwam
    Shaq was a decent athlete himself.

Stanback was 230??

Gotta love Locker for staying home. Could’ve been Vince Young at a good program. And it seems like he could’ve been Bellingham Chancellor at S, but we’ll never know...
    edited December 2020

He was 1-9 at Garfield. He had no coaching growing up. Fast, but not really elusive. Easy to bring down. Inaccurate throwing the ball. I think he could have been better, but there wasn’t a world class QB in him.
    Disagree with all that except that the had no coaching.
    Did you ever watch him and think, “What a game breaking threat running the ball?” Did you ever watch him and think he was a good passer? He had a good stretch in 2006 where he played pretty well. I agree coaching hindered him. I don’t think he would have been a great QB elsewhere.

Locker was a way better runner than Stanback and it wasn’t close.
    Yes, I did. On both questions. The "good stretch" in 2006 is what leads me to believe with good coaching and prep he could have been a great passer. He made throws that many better QBs can't ever make in their lifetime. I also didn't say Locker wasn't a better runner.

I feel like you and some others are working too hard to fight this. My thesis is clear: best ATHLETE to play at Washington. Not best QB, not best running back. Not best running QB. Best athlete.

I base my conclusion on his elite gifts in two distinct areas that seldom overlap. Again, truly elite arm strength and truly elite speed in a body of a kid who would not have had to bulk up to play linebacker.

Bottom line is you don't see many QBs with John Elway arm strength who were MLB drafted line up in the blocks of a P5 100 meter track meet because he belongs there. It's just a very uniqure set of natural abilities that you can't coach.

Gotta love Locker for staying home. Could’ve been Vince Young at a good program.

Washington fans should love him for staying home.

I’m no fan of Locker, but I would have loved him at Oregon.
    He was a freshman in 2007, at Oregon becomes a starter after Dixon and everyone else’s knees exploded. The Chip years were used on a full back QB and a 4.9 40 Darron Thomas, Chip wouldn’t have wasted Locker.
    Always hard to say, but he likely would have had a better career at Oregon. Same goes for the Swede.

The one thing I always remember about Locker, which probably isn't fair, is that he struggled mightily to throw the out. He just missed it terribly all the tim. They? used to comment about it during the game sometimes.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,782 Founders Club
    edited December 2020
    archive.kitsapsun.com/sports/stanbacks-stunner-left-an-impression-ep-424554537-359203441.html

One of the early times we were back. Stanback had all the arm in the world

He also got a cup of espresso in the NFL based on potential alone
  • EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 4,161

archive.kitsapsun.com/sports/stanbacks-stunner-left-an-impression-ep-424554537-359203441.html

One of the early times we were back. Stanback had all the arm in the world

He also got a cup of espresso in the NFL based on potential alone

I had to search for it. Now I can't stop watching it. . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfJWCBboCYc
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,849

Jake Locker smack here shows a real lack of ability to read the room

We hated Jack before it was cool

Would have been a helluva safety.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,849

chuck said:

jecornel said:

Jake could have been the greatest safety of all time at Washington. Better to do the hitting than getting hit.

I doubt that. It's fun jibber jabber, but I'll believe he could have been > than Lawyer Milloy when I actually see him be > than Lawyer Milloy.
    Running back all the way. I find the safety talk pretty dumb. We all saw what he could do at the college level as a ball carrier. Nobody has anything but speculation to go on as far as safety goes. I'm sure a couple of guys here saw him play it in HS.

The truth is that he was the best QB at UW while he was there and it's not even a conversation. He played where he needed to play.

Same as Stanback before him. Did he have the physical tools to play about five other positions? Yes. Was he good enough at any of them to definitively say he should have played one? No. Did UW need him at QB. Yes.
    Isaiah Stanback: the best athlete to ever play football at Washington.

Talk me out of it.
    @royotis Is that you?
    Kaepsknee said:

chuck said:

jecornel said:

Jake could have been the greatest safety of all time at Washington. Better to do the hitting than getting hit.

I doubt that. It's fun jibber jabber, but I'll believe he could have been > than Lawyer Milloy when I actually see him be > than Lawyer Milloy.
    Running back all the way. I find the safety talk pretty dumb. We all saw what he could do at the college level as a ball carrier. Nobody has anything but speculation to go on as far as safety goes. I'm sure a couple of guys here saw him play it in HS.

The truth is that he was the best QB at UW while he was there and it's not even a conversation. He played where he needed to play.

Same as Stanback before him. Did he have the physical tools to play about five other positions? Yes. Was he good enough at any of them to definitively say he should have played one? No. Did UW need him at QB. Yes.
    Isaiah Stanback: the best athlete to ever play football at Washington.

Talk me out of it.
    @royotis Is that you?
    Uh, no. It most definitely is not.

I've been on the Stanback stance for years. Dial-in Irishdawg22. He'll vouch.

I like how some people still think that if you don't have NFL potential you cant be a great college quarterback. I like that

This is just a rough guess, but many, or dare I say most, QBs who were integral to their program's successful seasons college weren't good at the next level. And I can think of so many NFL QBs whose college teams weren't that good; and so many more who weren't NFL QBs who led great teams.

UW, USC, Miami, Texas, Oklahoma, Bama, Buck, Oregon, Florida State, Florida, Tennessee, Penn State, LSU ... those programs alone, off the top of my head, had legions of QBs that were destined to just be college guys but who were balls in college and critical to their team's success.