Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Clay Travis gets it

dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
http://outkickthecoverage.com/ranking-the-2013-college-football-hires.php
give sark hire a C, Petersen an A
Chris Petersen, Washington A

Remember when Chris Petersen was the Moby Dick of college coaching searches, the great white whale that no one could seem to land?

Well, the Huskies finally caught the coaching white whale.

And I feel like, if anything, most people just shrugged.

Washington is one of three programs that I think ended up with a better coach than the one it lost. Louisville, Penn State, and Washington all got better at the top.

In eight years Petersen went 92-12 at Boise State.

He'll win big at Washington too.

Much bigger than Sarkisian did for sure.
6. Steve Sarkisian, USC

C

Given a chance to strike off in a new direction and bring fresh blood to the nation's top west coast job, USC elected to stay safe and bring back another former Pete Carroll assistant.

Sarkisian was unimpressive in five seasons as Washington coach, tallying a 34-29 overall mark.

Every season was totally mediocre, with never more than eight wins and at least four Pac 12 losses each year.

For comparison's sake, Lane Kiffin, the coach USC fired to end up hiring Sarkisian, went 28-15 in just over three years at USC.

Now you can say that illustrates the difference between the quality of the two jobs, but talk to Pac 12 people and they'll tell you that Washingon is the third best job in the conference after USC and Oregon.

So what gives?

USC, one of the top ten jobs in the country, is still trying to recapture the glory of the Pete Carroll regime.

And failing.

Comments

• Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Another hack journalist who couldn't see that Sark was building UW the right way.
  • Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    I disagree about Penn State and Louisville upgrading.

Charlie Strong is a fucking phenomenal coach. Petrino is too, and will do well. But if I had my choice ... I'd take Strong.

Franklin at Penn State. Bill O'Brien was a fucking great coach who walked into a fucked up situation.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    topdawgnc said:

Charlie Strong is a fucking phenomenal coach. Petrino is too, and will do well. But if I had my choice ... I'd take Strong.

Franklin at Penn State. Bill O'Brien was a fucking great coach who walked into a fucked up situation.

Agreed, both Louisville and Penn State are debatable. UW is the one job that was clearly upgraded.
  • Options
    dnc said:

topdawgnc said:

Agreed, both Louisville and Penn State are debatable. UW is the one job that was clearly upgraded.
    Which is a shame he mentioned those two because Doogs like Kim will be quick to point to that and try to discredit the writer.

Even though for years they accused us of not being real Husky fans and might as well be UCLA fans they are doing the same shit with Sark/USC.
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Sounds like Clay Travis has an agenda.
  • Options
    TTJ said:

Sounds like Clay Travis has an agenda.

I'd like to see Clay Travis put in his fucking resume if he thinks he is so much better than Sark. ROFL!
  • Options
    DardanusDardanus Member Posts: 2,623
    Clay Travis needs a timeout. Keep it up. There won't be a warning.
  • Options
    DugtheDoogDugtheDoog Member Posts: 3,180
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited January 2014
    I love how he rates Derek Mason ahead of Seven. Does he poast here?
  • Options
    TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Sark will be lucky to see a full three years at USC. This is going to end in spectacular disaster I can't wait. I still remember the Sark fans too and I'll gladly root against him just to say I was right.

I believe Sarkisian is still a head football coach-in-training and could eventually thrive at USC like he never show us he could at UW. Sark is not now in the same class of head coach as either Carroll or Petersen have proven to be, but if he pulls his head out, hires the right assistants and coordinators, delegates more and tightens up his program....... well, who knows? One thing he should have far less difficulty with at USC is recruiting.

• Options
    DardanusDardanus Member Posts: 2,623
    Tailgater said:

Sark will be lucky to see a full three years at USC. This is going to end in spectacular disaster I can't wait. I still remember the Sark fans too and I'll gladly root against him just to say I was right.

I believe Sarkisian is still a head football coach-in-training and could eventually thrive at USC like he never show us he could at UW. Sark is not now in the same class of head coach as either Carroll or Petersen have proven to be, but if he pulls his head out, hires the right assistants and coordinators, delegates more and tightens up his program....... well, who knows? One thing he should have far less difficulty with at USC is recruiting.

The qualities that make Sark a mediocre coach are his lack of discipline, organization, attention to detail, and the ability to set a direction/identity for the team. He understands the Xs and Os, but he doesn't have the leadership qualities needed to be a great football coach. Those qualities are the things that separate the great coaches from most coaches. Sark understands football, which is why he has done just fine as a coordinator and looks good in some games, but he doesn't have enough control of the team to be a good head coach. It's why his teams are so inconsistent. Personally I don't think that's something that he will be able to learn.

What Sark is really good at is public relations. I'd say he's a great politician, but that's probably an insult to politicians. A used car salesman can still make a pretty good living.
  • Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Dardanus said:

Tailgater said:

The qualities that make Sark a mediocre coach are his lack of discipline, organization, attention to detail, and the ability to set a direction/identity for the team. He understands the Xs and Os, but he doesn't have the leadership qualities needed to be a great football coach. Those qualities are the things that separate the great coaches from most coaches. Sark understands football, which is why he has done just fine as a coordinator and looks good in some games, but he doesn't have enough control of the team to be a good head coach. It's why his teams are so inconsistent. Personally I don't think that's something that he will be able to learn.

What Sark is really good at is public relations. I'd say he's a great politician, but that's probably an insult to politicians. A used car salesman can still make a pretty good living.
    This.

I would bet Sark wins 9-11 games a regular season at SC. But he will lose the 1-2 games a year on being a Sarktard ... and then get beat by a better coach.

Bottom line ...

Sark will never be a or beat Stoops, Strong, Fisher ... et. al.
  • Options
    MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    A profile in courage - a day late and a dollar short, frankly.

• Options
    SteveInSheltonSteveInShelton Member Posts: 1,611
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Tailgater said:

I think the whole coach in training idea is bullshit anyway. He coached under Pete Carroll for a number of years, that was his "head coach in training" time.