Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Apparently there's a basketball game going on

Comments

• BroadcastingDawgBroadcastingDawg Member Posts: 1,245
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    They lost to UC Riverside?

Jesus Christ... Hop seems to have lost his team.

• AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,958
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Hop is to the point where he has no pride in what he is doing. he is cashing checks. He probably feels bad. But not bad enough to resign and go join the Nike circuit or whatever the hell else it is that crappy head coaches do next.
  • ReignManReignMan Member Posts: 217
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Up Votes
    Embarrassing and its only game two.. Hop coaches like he was a 20 year assistant.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Progress ... they were only outrebounded by 16 today
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,876
    Standard Supporter
    I haven't looked at the schedule. Is @Owen possible?
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,397
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    42 fucking points!!
  • backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,785
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
  • Edwin_BambinoEdwin_Bambino Member Posts: 2,942

Pretty simple— Hop can’t coach offense or develop players worth a shit.

Even in his “good” years, they were pretty shitty offensively. Nowell covered up a lot of the warts by being able to get a bucket whenever, and being clutch as hell. Also Dickerson was a solid big who could score in the post.

We’ve discussed the zone ad nauseum... I don’t completely hate it but I agree with Teq’s take that it doesn’t really work in today’s game. Oh and they can’t rebound out of it and Hop has zero competent bigs on the roster.

The complete lack of development is the biggest indictment to me. Hameir is exactly the same player he was when he was a freshman...
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    You guys miss Romar yet?
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2020

You guys miss Romar yet?

Not really.

I think most here would agree Roman needed to go, and also that Hop looks lost out there. It doesn’t have to be one or the other, you can think both.
    That was a joke. But even in his worst years, Romar isn’t losing that game by 15. And based on the total it might as well been 25.
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    I'm guessing Jen is happy to wait until March 31st to cut ties with Hop. His buyout falls from $6m to $3m at that point. Considering the sharp decline in all sports revenue for the year, I suppose this is the ideal year for him to just tank and cement the need to fire his ass after the season. Frankly I don't even care enough to diagnose why or how this all happened so fast. It sure seems incredibly unprecedented for a conference coach of the year to completely implode the program like this with the pace he's done it at. Maybe those of you with a pulse on CBB history can point to a few other examples of this happening, because I'm definitely coming up empty.

Whatever. Just tune the fuck out this season, and start over new with someone else. The fact that there's literally no silver lining, be it player or recruit, to hang onto makes it all the easier to wipe the slate clean.

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,721
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The For Sale sign in the yard never fails
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

The For Sale sign in the yard never fails

I’m gonna need to see a couch for sale
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    dnc said:

I'm guessing Jen is happy to wait until March 31st to cut ties with Hop. His buyout falls from $6m to $3m at that point. Considering the sharp decline in all sports revenue for the year, I suppose this is the ideal year for him to just tank and cement the need to fire his ass after the season. Frankly I don't even care enough to diagnose why or how this all happened so fast. It sure seems incredibly unprecedented for a conference coach of the year to completely implode the program like this with the pace he's done it at. Maybe those of you with a pulse on CBB history can point to a few other examples of this happening, because I'm definitely coming up empty.

Whatever. Just tune the fuck out this season, and start over new with someone else. The fact that there's literally no silver lining, be it player or recruit, to hang onto makes it all the easier to wipe the slate clean.

I have zero confidence we’ll shitcan him after the year.

UWMBB history is littered with coaches who were kept far behind the point it was obvious they weren’t the guy.
    Maybe I'm giving Jen too much credit, but I would be shocked if he stays after this year, barring any kind of dramatic turnaround from what we've seen. Sample size is small, but this team looks historically bad, so any finish that's better than 10th in the conference would be a surprise at this point. No glimmers of hope on the roster, no big recruiting classes coming in, nothing to look ahead to.

You only save $2m by firing Hop in 2021 instead of waiting until after the '21-'22 season. Not even the most charitable of ADs could justify keeping him.