Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

This team doesn’t make any sense

We cause inefficient play calling by using dime personnel as a base which entices teams to run the ball a lot.

Which makes our insistence of bashing our head against the wall on offense extremely weird. Especially 2nd and long runs. Using the quick game on early downs is a much better way of protecting DMO, is more efficient than running, and keeps you out of 3rd and long. You want to avoid 3rd down as much as possible. Coach K understands this, John Don does not.

Comments

• Options
    TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,615
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    This is the smartest thing I have read...
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,803
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

Football strategy isn’t hard. Coaches make it hard by being fucking stupid.
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,198
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    3-0

Don’t care
  • Options
    LostDoogRewardLostDoogReward Member Posts: 62
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

You can look to the NFL for exhibit A-Z. Some real dumbfuck coordinators in the league.
  • Options
    Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,611
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    First half is hard to figure out. Had so few possessions and UW was trying to big dick the Utah defense, which they failed to do.

Also, had to to deal with DylMo's first INT which was basically the first offensive adversity of this season. Some shaky play after that.

We continued to run unproductively between the tackles in the second half, but 24 points in a half is hard to criticize.
  • Options

You can look to the NFL for exhibit A-Z. Some real dumbfuck coordinators in the league.
    As I like to say “coaches are glorified PE teachers”
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,097
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

We cause inefficient play calling by using dime personnel as a base which entices teams to run the ball a lot.

Which makes our insistence of bashing our head against the wall on offense extremely weird. Especially 2nd and long runs. Using the quick game on early downs is a much better way of protecting DMO, is more efficient than running, and keeps you out of 3rd and long. You want to avoid 3rd down as much as possible. Coach K understands this, John Don does not.

Did you see this one Twatter or are you channeling the ghost of Tom Landry?
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Swaye said:

Did you see this one Twatter or are you channeling the ghost of Tom Landry?
    I know ball. I’ve really researched analytics, scheme/football strategies, and situational play calling during this whole quarantine.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,703
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Not sure I would put the playcalling "strategy" all on Donovan when the HC is the one walking around with a Run The Damn Ball hat at press conferences.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

Not sure I would put the playcalling "strategy" all on Donovan when the HC is the one walking around with a Run The Damn Ball hat at press conferences.

It goes hand and hand. It’s probably both of them. I think Dylan checked quite a few early down passes into runs. We have to stop with the short side runs into a stacked box it never works.
  • Options

Is a 19% rushing success rate good? Asking for a fren

Is 50% SR better than 19% SR? Axeing for a fren
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    dnc said:

It goes hand and hand. It’s probably both of them. I always think Dylan checked quite a few early down passes into runs. Also we have to stop with the short side runs into a stacked it never works.
    Dylan is doing what he's coached to do or at least what he's allowed to do.

It starts with Lake but obviously a better/more established OC might be able to persuade Lake his offensive strategy is FS.
    100% that’s the coaching, I should have been more clear. That’s terrible terrible QB coaching. Especially when Utah was loading the box as much as they did.

He checked this run from the wide side to short side on this (kill kill)...

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Oh and for the run the ball crowd that are going to try to use Mike Leach as an exmaple. Mike refuses to run the ball ever, has run the same concepts out of the same formations for the past billion years, and he’s had some pretty shitty players. It makes it easy for DCs to drop 8 when they know your down by down tendency and for the players to recognize route concepts via presnap indicators like formation/splits etc. Joe Brady/Lincoln Riley/Andy Reid etc. have used rules/concepts stemming from leach but they have made it harder to defend via condensed formations, motions, mixing in the run, and by stretching his concepts vertically to press DBs downfield.
  • Options
    AEBAEB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,962
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Oh and for the run the ball crowd that are going to try to use Mike Leach as an exmaple. Mike refuses to run the ball ever, has run the same concepts out of the same formations for the past billion years, and he’s had some pretty shitty players. It makes it easy for DCs to drop 8 when they know your down by down tendency and for the players to recognize route concepts via presnap indicators like formation/splits etc. Joe Brady/Lincoln Riley/Andy Reid etc. have used rules/concepts stemming from leach but they have made it harder to defend via condensed formations, motions, mixing in the run, and by stretching his concepts vertically to press DBs downfield.

I would posit that the bolded portion is the missing part. We? have suffered from this deficiency for so long. Opposing Ds run 8 men in the box, take away the run, and disrupt the short, quick passing game. Until we? connect deep (hello wide open Ty Jones), defenses will disrupt our O. Seen this script for years now. Just like our 2 DL, bend don’t break defense, always gives up copious amounts of rushing yards especially against quality opponents. For that matter, substituting in freshman Cooper MacDonald and getting the ball stuffed in his face for two huge back to back plays is another example of things we? do that are aggravating (see freshman Tevis Bartlett in at SAM against ‘Bama leading to a TD and effectively losing the game after holding ‘Bama tight).