Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Kind of liking the randomness of 2020 games

Maybe they should do this every year

Just spin a wheel every Monday of in conference games and thats who you play?

Every week if you have already played a team they are no longer on the table.

Comments

• Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

I would like it if non-conference games are not scheduled 12 years in advance. The ADs would prefer a 3-4 year window as well. But it becomes a prisoners dilemma and everyone is afraid of having a year where they try to sell tickets to see Bowling Green as their marquee non con game.

We now know the truth, if we didn’t before. Cancel all contracts beyond 2024 and start the fuck over. I know I’ll get to see Baylor play Oregon in like 2030 or some shit, but we(?) can’t reschedule Ohio State to come and do their thing in the Autzen porking lot until I’ll be dead of the cancer I’m genetically predisposed to.

Or just toss bones to determine a conference schedule like they used to. Like when Oregon was given the pleasure of going to Pullman six times in seven years from 2000-06.

Just like COVID is showing companies that WFH is feasible, this “season” (I use big fucking air quotes there) is demonstrating the #logistics and TV re-scheduling issues are not insurmountable.

I would *love* more randomness to the scheduling. It’s breathed a lot of new life into the sport IMO.

So I’m 100% on board with wiping the slate clean and starting all over again.

#UWvsTBD
    #anyteamanytimanywhere
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

The logistics of booking hotels for college teams, TV crews etc the Monday prior is a lot different in Covid Tims than during a normal economy.
    @YellowSnow Are you practicing for a run at the AD job?

If minor hockey teams can organize a tournament for 8 teams from 10 hour drives away then cfb can figure it out. Do we need players moms taking turns bringing pre game snacks now? Maybe we should just play in state teams since booking flights is such an ordeal.

I thought ye better thats some div 2 mentality
  • Options
    RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

I would like it if non-conference games are not scheduled 12 years in advance. The ADs would prefer a 3-4 year window as well. But it becomes a prisoners dilemma and everyone is afraid of having a year where they try to sell tickets to see Bowling Green as their marquee non con game.

We now know the truth, if we didn’t before. Cancel all contracts beyond 2024 and start the fuck over. I know I’ll get to see Baylor play Oregon in like 2030 or some shit, but we(?) can’t reschedule Ohio State to come and do their thing in the Autzen porking lot until I’ll be dead of the cancer I’m genetically predisposed to.

Or just toss bones to determine a conference schedule like they used to. Like when Oregon was given the pleasure of going to Pullman six times in seven years from 2000-06.

Just like COVID is showing companies that WFH is feasible, this “season” (I use big fucking air quotes there) is demonstrating the #logistics and TV re-scheduling issues are not insurmountable.

I would *love* more randomness to the scheduling. It’s breathed a lot of new life into the sport IMO.

So I’m 100% on board with wiping the slate clean and starting all over again.

#UWvsTBD
    #anyteamanytimanywhere
    Same season is usually impractical for many reasons, everyone is just playing along to salvage as much money as possible. I’m picturing like a house filled with money burning down, and everyone is running in trying to grab as much as they can. We classy west coast people who care about not burning limbs were gonna sit this one out, then those yokels and their poor cousins went for it and we didn’t want to feel left out.

I doubt much long term positive change for college football comes from this. Real life, yeah.

But college football doesn’t change anything unless they can be assured it will lead to more money or protect the money they’re already expecting. Unless changing scheduling norms does either of those it won’t happen.
  • Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,042
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    F1 has been fun this year for this very reason.
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,566
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Canadawg said:

The logistics of booking hotels for college teams, TV crews etc the Monday prior is a lot different in Covid Tims than during a normal economy.

If minor hockey teams can organize a tournament for 8 teams from 10 hour drives away then cfb can figure it out. Do we need players moms taking turns bringing pre game snacks now? Maybe we should just play in state teams since booking flights is such an ordeal.

A friend works in a hotel here in Lexington. Based on what he’s told me, I think the logistical requirements for a college football team are a slight bit higher than for minor league hockey.

One thing that could alleviate some of the logistics would be to designate one hotel for every opponent each season. You then could have an opening for whatever team is coming to town that week and a baseline of requirements pre established.

But who gives a shit. This is a fun idea that’s not gonna happen.

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,887
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited November 2020

Canadawg said:

A friend works in a hotel here in Lexington. Based on what he’s told me, I think the logistical requirements for a college football team are a slight bit higher than for minor league hockey.

One thing that could alleviate some of the logistics would be to designate one hotel for every opponent each season. You then could have an opening for whatever team is coming to town that week and a baseline of requirements pre established.

But who gives a shit. This is a fun idea that’s not gonna happen.

This would work but each team’s home dates have to be fixed well in advance. Don’t need to know the visiting team, just the correct date.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Canadawg said:

"If this really simple event can be organized then surely an event with 50x more people and complexity could be done too!"

I don't disagree that ADs with all their resources could figure it out. But this is a stupid argument.
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

I have no doubt, but what I’m talking about is this years in advance nonsense.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,302
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dtd said:

Well, that and that one time that one pass happened...
  • Options
    EmotermanEmoterman Member Posts: 3,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

dtd said:

Well, that and that one time that one pass happened...
    As a Seb fan, and with Mercedes being so dominant, this season hasn't held much appeal personally.
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Canadawg said:

"If this really simple event can be organized then surely an event with 50x more people and complexity could be done too!"

I don't disagree that ADs with all their resources could figure it out. But this is a stupid argument.
    8 teams consisting of 25 personnel plus families is well over 300 people. The fact that booking a hotel is even mentioned by staff or yella is flat out embarrassing. I agree that it would be made even easier to have a hotel reserved for every home date, then its idiot proof