Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Daily Dose Of Schadenfreude

I think ultimately BYU would have gotten screwed if they scheduled the game as Pac-12 would have trumped it and forced the Utah game. Or maybe not, I’m an idiot and it’s above my pay grade.

That said, it’s still a good time to see how the other side is taking it, so I ventured to their boreds:

- Disappointing. I have a hunch we might regret rejecting the Washington offer if they don't play Utah this weekend.

- No highly rated team is going to want any part of BYU. At some point, one or more Pac teams will move in front of us as they accumulate wins. Barring some really significant upsets, we have no chance at much beyond a game like the Armed Forces Bowl.

- I wish that Washington snafu would have happened next week because I wanted to see what the committee thought of us before the smear campaign of BYU “ducking” Washington. I just wanted to see what the thought.

- I thought they might be willing to give us the benefit of the doubt bc we had a great schedule originally and we’re the only ones willing to play out West in September.

- Not to stir the pot, I'm disappointed as well, but does this change anyone's mind about joining a conference? I'm not going to lie, playing football that matters and just being relevant/ in the conversation has been fun this year. At least if you win the conference you are guaranteed an NY6.

- This was always gonna happen. If BYU went 12-0 with the original schedule this would have happened. I don't think people understand this is all a money grab. There is no world they are giving an independent $4million of their money.

- UW blew it. They should have bent over backwards to get this game. If UW wins, it could propel them to a shot at top-4, if they beat BYU, Oregon and USC. Just beating Oregon and USC won't do it this year with their 7 games max. So really, they needed this game badly as well.

- Apparently we should lose any coaches cause this year wasn’t about them being great, just beating bad teams. CFP get the eff out of here with that weak sauce take.

- Complete and utter crap, CFP. There’s no justification for that snowjob. None. Herbie was dumbfounded.

Comments

• Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,979
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
  • Options
    DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited November 2020
    Stewart Mandel’s take:

Seven years of tracking these Tuesday night releases had prepared me for exactly what happened to 9-0 BYU — No. 8 in AP and coaches, No. 14 with the committee. The Cougars were able to rise into the top 10 in the polls by starting earlier than almost anyone else (remember that Labor Day rout of Navy roughly three years ago?) and then just not losing. I knew the committee, starting from scratch in late November, would be less forgiving of an unavoidably meager schedule.

Barta, while complimentary of Zach Wilson and the Cougars, was pretty blunt in his assessment, noting BYU has played just three opponents with winning records (6-4 UTSA, 4-3 Louisiana Tech and 4-1 Boise State). It even sounded like they’ve put a bit of an asterisk on BYU’s biggest win, 51-17 at Boise State on Nov. 6, noting both on ESPN and in his subsequent media teleconference that the Broncos were down to their third-string QB in that game.

BYU likely needs to finish no lower than No. 11 to earn a New Year’s Six bowl, and it’s unlikely to do so with only one game, Dec. 12 against San Diego State, remaining. The Cougars badly need another quality opponent. Coach Kalani Sitake appeared on ESPN shortly after the rankings reveal and put out an open call for possible opponents to play on Dec. 5 and 19. He said the Cougars had begun practicing for a possible Saturday game against Washington, but that it fell through. (Adding insult to insult, it appears the Huskies will now face Utah of all teams.)

Wilson last weekend wore a headband that read “ANY TEAM, TIME, PLACE.” His administration is going to need to suck up its pride and do exactly that. Going forward, if any Pac-12 team becomes available on short notice, don’t haggle over the details. Just take it! You need the game a lot more than they do. They get to play in Fiesta Bowls all the time. You don’t.

And of course, if you haven’t done so already — make that call to Cincinnati.
  • Options
    Edwin_BambinoEdwin_Bambino Member Posts: 2,943
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

I think ultimately BYU would have gotten screwed if they scheduled the game as Pac-12 would have trumped it and forced the Utah game. Or maybe not, I’m an idiot and it’s above my pay grade.

That said, it’s still a good time to see how the other side is taking it, so I ventured to their boreds:

- Disappointing. I have a hunch we might regret rejecting the Washington offer if they don't play Utah this weekend.

- No highly rated team is going to want any part of BYU. At some point, one or more Pac teams will move in front of us as they accumulate wins. Barring some really significant upsets, we have no chance at much beyond a game like the Armed Forces Bowl.

- I wish that Washington snafu would have happened next week because I wanted to see what the committee thought of us before the smear campaign of BYU “ducking” Washington. I just wanted to see what the thought.

- I thought they might be willing to give us the benefit of the doubt bc we had a great schedule originally and we’re the only ones willing to play out West in September.

- Not to stir the pot, I'm disappointed as well, but does this change anyone's mind about joining a conference? I'm not going to lie, playing football that matters and just being relevant/ in the conversation has been fun this year. At least if you win the conference you are guaranteed an NY6.

- This was always gonna happen. If BYU went 12-0 with the original schedule this would have happened. I don't think people understand this is all a money grab. There is no world they are giving an independent $4million of their money.

- UW blew it. They should have bent over backwards to get this game. If UW wins, it could propel them to a shot at top-4, if they beat BYU, Oregon and USC. Just beating Oregon and USC won't do it this year with their 7 games max. So really, they needed this game badly as well.

- Apparently we should lose any coaches cause this year wasn’t about them being great, just beating bad teams. CFP get the eff out of here with that weak sauce take.

- Complete and utter crap, CFP. There’s no justification for that snowjob. None. Herbie was dumbfounded.

I listened to the Conference Of Champions pod today and they had the college football matrix guy on and he essentially said the same thing regarding if we beat BYU, Oregon, and USC and they were all ranked we would be in as we would have been the only team in the country with 3 top 25 wins regardless of whether we had played less games assuming we won out. A lot of counting your chickens before they hatch but still interesting to think about considering I don’t think any reasonable person thought with the way Larry S handled this any Pac team would even potentially get a sniff.
  • Options
    Arizona123Arizona123 Member Posts: 66
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment Name Dropper
    The DaiLy DosE is back? #sweet 🤘🏻
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

If Morris becomes Trace McSorely lite and UW smashes teams the way Jimmy wants then DM may go down as the most hated QB in P12 history. A 6ft, balding white kid with a mustache that fist pumps, screams and hops around after big plays. When he takes his helmet off he looks exactly like he's been smoking weed all week and now he's here to talk shit. Sign me up!!!
    Trace McSorley was one of the worst passers I have ever seen. We had Austin Joyner and Myles Bryant playing outside corner. We had RS-FR Bowman, Tevi, Irish Potatoes, and Zeke playing big roles. That was one of our more untalented defenses sans Vita and Byron.