Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,963
    Attempt number #335,538,467 to rewriting history to explain away Reagan's effectiveness...it didn't work the previous times but I'm sure it will work this one...
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825

Attempt number #335,538,467 to rewriting history to explain away Reagan's effectiveness...it didn't work the previous times but I'm sure it will work this one...

There’s a lot out about Reagan so anybody that knows a lot of history won’t be shocked by some of it

I’d encourage people to watch though and provide opinions ...

I’m amused at the attempts trying to link Reagan to Trump
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,279 Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

There’s a lot out about Reagan so anybody that knows a lot of history won’t be shocked by some of it

Reading the article, it's just another attempt to diminish Reagan and his supporters. Ronald Reagan was arguably the greatest president of the 20th and 21st centuries (so far at least). The left hate him because he was and remains to be so popular, while representing the polar opposite of their vision for the country. To the left, Reagan was a mortal enemy, and remains an enemy as an ideal. Ideologically this rewrite of history is no different from the culture wars the CCP waged on their populace, rewriting history and enslaving or killing dissidents in order to gain complete control.
  • SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,942
    Silent Cal was the greatest President of the 20th Century. Trump ended up being a more conservative President than Reagan but I would have loved to have seen what Reagan would have done with a Republican House and Senate.

Tequilla said:

Reading the article, it's just another attempt to diminish Reagan and his supporters. Ronald Reagan was arguably the greatest president of the 20th and 21st centuries (so far at least). The left hate him because he was and remains to be so popular, while representing the polar opposite of their vision for the country. To the left, Reagan was a mortal enemy, and remains an enemy as an ideal. Ideologically this rewrite of history is no different from the culture wars the CCP waged on their populace, rewriting history and enslaving or killing dissidents in order to gain complete control.
    This...they hate his policies, so it always becomes some version of 'the only reason people liked him and his policies so much is because he tricked them'.

Not sure why I need to watch a documentary on that, especially from a guy who idolizes Rachel Maddow and Gore Vidal...
    It came off very propaganda driven to me ... I think the timing of the release and messaging attached is troubling to say the least
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,545 Founders Club
    Will it be a double header with the Jeff Daniels James Comey horror flick?
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,163
    Pass. Political leanings aside, Tyrnauer is a documentarian. If he wants to go live and experience the subject and then do a film about it, well great, that's his area of expertise and that's what makes a great documentary.

But the Reagan era is no longer an experience you can witness. It's history. So perhaps let the historians, or at least people who were players during the era, tell that story.

Pass. Political leanings aside, Tyrnauer is a documentarian. If he wants to go live and experience the subject and then do a film about it, well great, that's his area of expertise and that's what makes a great documentary.

But the Reagan era is no longer an experience you can witness. It's history. So perhaps let the historians, or at least people who were players during the era, tell that story.

He’s interviewing people involved so there’s that ... definitely leans heavy on Ron Jr
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,163
    Tequilla said:

He’s interviewing people involved so there’s that ... definitely leans heavy on Ron Jr
    That's better if he's not driving his own narrative. Ron Jr. is pretty liberal, but no idea if that would influence him to try to tweak his dad's legacy.
    Tequilla said:

It came off very propaganda driven to me ... I think the timing of the release and messaging attached is troubling to say the least

Pretty much everything out there right now, especially in the media, is propaganda-driven...amazed people watch any of it. We live in a banana republic now...truth and reality are no longer important.

I've already cut cable and went with a streaming service...figure I'm cutting that as soon as college football is over. Its pretty much the only thing I have on TV anymore, and even that has been non-existent.
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,279 Founders Club
    SFGbob said:

Silent Cal was the greatest President of the 20th Century. Trump ended up being a more conservative President than Reagan but I would have loved to have seen what Reagan would have done with a Republican House and Senate.

Coolidge was great in terms of limiting the size government and free market economics, but Reagan pulled us out of an economic dumpster fire, restored confidence to the nation, and ended the Cold War without firing a shot. He wins this argument.
  • Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958 Standard Supporter
    I’m not as much of a Reagan fan boy as some of you, but I don’t think he was the big villain so many paint him out to be.

From what my elders tell me (on both sides of the political spectrum) he restored America’s confidence after Vietnam-Watergate, in short, he was the leader we needed at the time.

Thanks for the recommendation @Tequilla. I’ll check it out.
    @Doog_de_Jour

No problem ... I like to evaluate the things I see and be aware of what was out there

Was Reagan perfect ... of course not

As with most people he did good things and bad things

I look forward to discussing your thoughts after watching