Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Gangs of New York | 'Fear'

Comments

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

chuck said:

Daniel Day Lewis has an amazing knack for making you forget he's an actor and not actually the guy you're watching.

I guess thsts what they're all trying to do. He's just really good at it.

Finest actor of our Tim and it's not really close.
    Marky Mark hater.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    I’d actually toss McCaunaghy into the discussion lately. Dude has come a long fucking way since Dazed and Confused.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,611
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

Daniel Day Lewis has an amazing knack for making you forget he's an actor and not actually the guy you're watching.

When Joe Namath was on the Brady Bunch he seemed like Joe Namath not whoever he was playing which was Joe Namath
    I'm not even sure whether you're mocking the way I complimented his acting, but that was funny either way.

I cant think of Namath without remembering him drunkenly hitting on an ESPN chick on live TV. Maybe thats what I was laughing about.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

DDL (ILTCHT), especially back in his prime, was HOT too. His appearance in The Last of the Mohicans still gets me all revved up.

Raaawwwwwrrrrrrr.

This scene in particular makes me swoon!

https://youtu.be/q75FfwmyF4I
    I don't dig him that way.

Well, maybe a little bit in "Gangs..." when he taps his glass eye with the point of a knife. That was kind of hot.
  • Options
    JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,115
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited November 2020
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited November 2020

chuck said:

There are a bunch of good ones. That’s media and industry hype. He’s up there, but to say it’s not close is absurd.

Entertaining movies > acting ability. Day-Lewis is lacking there. He has a handful of good movies.
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    edited November 2020

chuck said:

There are a bunch of good ones. That’s media and industry hype. He’s up there, but to say it’s not close is absurd.

Entertaining movies > acting ability. Day-Lewis is lacking there. He has a handful of good movies.
    Part of the reason he only has a handful of good movies is because he’s chooses his roles rather selectively and I think he gets to do that because he’s such a good actor.
    Some of the more recent ones aren’t that good. Haughty bullshit that’s only considered good because it’s Day-Lewis and Paul Thomas Anderson. Does he have any movie that is a must watch and that doesn’t get old?

He’s an artsy actor and he’s damn good, but he’s also in mostly pretentious, artsy movies that aren’t really my cup of tea and are often overrated by critics.
    You make some good points. If DDL had a few more blockbusters under his belt he would be kinda like Gary Oldman. But I think DDL might be retiring from acting, so slim chance of that happening.

In any case. DDL deserved like, FIVE Oscars for his work in Lincoln.
  • Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,062
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Kind of felt like his acting in there will be blood was basically the same character from Gangs of New York, just transported to California.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,060
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

chuck said:

DDL (ILTCHT), especially back in his prime, was HOT too. His appearance in The Last of the Mohicans still gets me all revved up.

Raaawwwwwrrrrrrr.

This scene in particular makes me swoon!

https://youtu.be/q75FfwmyF4I
    Perhaps the Redman is finally having the desired effect?
  • Options
    Founders Club

Kind of felt like his acting in there will be blood was basically the same character from Gangs of New York, just transported to California.

I didn't get that read at all. Angry yes, but much more measured in Blood. DDL is a helluva an actor.
  • Options
    Founders Club

chuck said:

His roles in Lincoln, There Will Be Blood, and Gangs of New York are as good as I've seen.

But my confirmation bias is strong here. I could not give two shits about "entertaining" comic book movies and other shit like that. Those are fer booger eaters with low kultur.
    Watchmen sayz FUCK OFF.

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,864
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

chuck said:

His roles in Lincoln, There Will Be Blood, and Gangs of New York are as good as I've seen.

But my confirmation bias is strong here. I could not give two shits about "entertaining" comic book movies and other shit like that. Those are fer booger eaters with low kultur.
    Watchmen sayz FUCK OFF.

Just say no to boogers tonto.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

chuck said:

Watchmen sayz FUCK OFF.

Watchmen is pretty damn good. I dont do comics so I just thought it was a tippy sci-fi flick the first time I stumbled into it.