Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Republican Backlash Against Fox News Explodes

2»

Comments

• Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Tequilla said:

I said multiple tims before the election that the press needs to STFU on Election Day and make no projections/calls until every last fucking ballot is counted.

But that would require professional integrity.

They clearly didn’t learn their lesson from 2000. Fuck them.

One of the most retarded takes ever. They’re still counting as of today.
    Fuck you @BennyBeaver, I’ve had far worse takes.

Why pray tell, is *this* particular one such a shitty one? I realize news organizations have been trained by the public and their bosses’ hungry for ratings to be first rather than right, but don’t you think some restraint in reporting would better serve the voting process?

Hell, even American Idol fans had to wait until the end of the night to find out who was going home that week.

I’m curious to hear your thoughts.
    What’s the difference between voting and counting votes?

I’ll take your answer off the air.
    Not 100% what you mean, but the exit polling, projections, etc. on the election night is very harmful, even with early/absentee voting.

Just because people have voted doesn’t mean it has been counted. Many smaller jurisdictions take longer due to limited resources. Signatures need to be validated. These things take time and I would much rather have a delay of the results and get everything certified before we declare a winner.

That’s all I’m saying.
    What media outlet called a race before polls closed this election?
    Technically all of them, since the elections haven’t all been certified. And we still technically have the electoral college, but I know that’s *mostly* an antiquated formality.

I guess what I’m getting at is I don’t want elections decided by statistical projections, “pre-season” polling, and any “might as well not even play the game” mentality. LIPO, give the process time to work.

It shouldn't be that hard to get elections counted and decided on the evening of the vote ... particularly given the technology that we have in place. This shouldn't be a huge issue at this point.
    You would think, but governments aren’t exactly known for using cutting edge technology like the private sector. This year I kept reading story after story about how outdated the computer systems were at unemployment agencies resulting in fraud and delayed benefit checks.

Yet another part of our infrastructure that needs updating.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 42,104
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited November 2020
    Tequilla said:

I said multiple tims before the election that the press needs to STFU on Election Day and make no projections/calls until every last fucking ballot is counted.

Why pray tell, is *this* particular one such a shitty one? I realize news organizations have been trained by the public and their bosses’ hungry for ratings to be first rather than right, but don’t you think some restraint in reporting would better serve the voting process?

Hell, even American Idol fans had to wait until the end of the night to find out who was going home that week.

Not 100% what you mean, but the exit polling, projections, etc. on the election night is very harmful, even with early/absentee voting.

Just because people have voted doesn’t mean it has been counted. Many smaller jurisdictions take longer due to limited resources. Signatures need to be validated. These things take time and I would much rather have a delay of the results and get everything certified before we declare a winner.

That’s all I’m saying.
    Technically all of them, since the elections haven’t all been certified. And we still technically have the electoral college, but I know that’s *mostly* an antiquated formality.

I guess what I’m getting at is I don’t want elections decided by statistical projections, “pre-season” polling, and any “might as well not even play the game” mentality. LIPO, give the process time to work.

It shouldn't be that hard to get elections counted and decided on the evening of the vote ... particularly given the technology that we have in place. This shouldn't be a huge issue at this point.
    It shouldn't be - unless the people in charge of designing or adhering to the system don't want it to be agnostic with regards to the result. See also AAU scorekeepers - you ALWAYS take your own scorekeeper to Yakima.

Or alternatively, collusion exists within those who can override the system to behave as designed.

This is basic internal control stuff. Protocols and procedures can be implemented - but if the people to whom they are supposed to keep honest want to circumvent the controls, bad shit happens.

• Options
    BendintheriverBendintheriver Member Posts: 5,454
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

What is "retarded" is actually claiming that the polls were right.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

Tequilla said:

That’s all I’m saying.

It shouldn't be - unless the people in charge of designing or adhering to the system don't want it to be agnostic with regards to the result. See also AAU scorekeepers - you ALWAYS take your own scorekeeper to Yakima.

Or alternatively, collusion exists within those who can override the system to behave as designed.

This is basic internal control stuff. Protocols and procedures can be implemented - but if the people to whom they are supposed to keep honest want to circumvent the controls, bad shit happens.

Careful.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 42,104

Tequilla said:

That’s all I’m saying.

Careful.
    Don't even get me started on Zillah and Sunnyside.

• Options
    Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,887
    Standard Supporter
    I think we should just go back to feudalism. We gave democracy a fair chance, but there's just too many problems.
  • Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Tequilla said:

That’s all I’m saying.

You would think, but governments aren’t exactly known for using cutting edge technology like the private sector. This year I kept reading story after story about how outdated the computer systems were at unemployment agencies resulting in fraud and delayed benefit checks.

Yet another part of our infrastructure that needs updating.
    Wait, you mean my Brother-in-law’s lucrative Maintenance contract just goes poof? No warning, just gone?
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,346

That’s all I’m saying.

So everyone has voted, polls are closed. And Fox News projects a winner before all the ballots are certified. This is your scenario, no?

How does this change the outcome?
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

I think either approach is fine, though I certainly prefer quicker results over longer. Maybe I'm just impatient.

Some states can take up to a month to finish counting their votes, so I don't like the idea of waiting for them to formally finish before calling the race when the writing has already been on the wall. Especially with the level of analytics and county-by-county data that is available, there's no reason to delay calling a race when the results are (or nearly) statistically certain.

That said, I think you can still criticize the AP and Fox for calling AZ as soon as they did. The data nerds were in agreement that while AZ was likely to stay dem, it was still way too early in the process given the makeup of the remaining votes left to be counted and there was still a very real possibility for Trump to take the state.
  • Options

The thing is, and this will be tough for you "free market" conservatives out there to hear, the news media are for-profit businesses looking to make a buck while serving the obligatory public functions. If people want projections and vote counts, etc. the media will give it to them and in the process make money.

Are you some anti-capitalist??

The politicians themselves and the overwhelming amount of interested voters like states getting "called" except when its for the other guy. So suck it up.
    Even if all the major networks made an agreement to hold off calling winners or making projections,
    81% sure this already is in place (post polls being closed).
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

That’s all I’m saying.

So everyone has voted, polls are closed. And Fox News projects a winner before all the ballots are certified. This is your scenario, no?

Probably not as much now, but that’s not the point. Getting it right the first time is critical to safeguarding everyone’s trust in the process. Prematurely calling races leads people to go conspiracy rabbit holes before all the facts are in.
  • Options

That’s all I’m saying.

Probably not as much now, but that’s not the point. Getting it right the first time is critical to safeguarding everyone’s trust in the process. Prematurely calling races leads people to go conspiracy rabbit holes before all the facts are in.
    And Fox and AP were right the first time. Not gonna stop the Tugtards and Trumpettes from drumming up all kinds of tin foil hat scenarios.
  • Options
    NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

https://breitbart.com/the-media/2020/11/07/nolte-backlash-against-fox-news-explodes/

For the record, in regards to calling Arizona early, I do not feel that was fraudulent, even though it was the wrong thing to do. I think Fox was trying to get it right but simply fucked up. Republicans should not expect any network to carry water for them. Networks are supposed to cover the news.

People were still standing in line to vote when FauxNews called AZ. They are a centrist and globalist “news” network with some right-wing opinion hosts.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

https://breitbart.com/the-media/2020/11/07/nolte-backlash-against-fox-news-explodes/

For the record, in regards to calling Arizona early, I do not feel that was fraudulent, even though it was the wrong thing to do. I think Fox was trying to get it right but simply fucked up. Republicans should not expect any network to carry water for them. Networks are supposed to cover the news.

People were still standing in line to vote when FauxNews called AZ. They are a centrist and globalist “news” network with some right-wing opinion hosts.
    Source?

If true, no bueno.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,079
    Swaye's Wigwam

Source?

If true, no bueno.
    So you were running your mouth and you don't know what happened?

Figures
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,922
    Standard Supporter

Source?

If true, no bueno.
    So you were running your mouth and you don't know what happened?

Figures
    Isn't that pretty much the standard leftist MO. I hear that there were no liberals lies told about Trump and Russia.